Fall 2015 Applicants

I got an acceptance letter from the MSW program at CSUEB on Friday as well! I'm excited. I'm still waiting to hear back from SJSU and SFSU (MSW). Does anyone know when they may be mailing out their decisions?

I just discovered this forum and it's helped ease my obsessive email and mail checking to know when people have heard from certain schools! It's been neat to hear about other people's processes, as well.

So far I've been accepted to University of Denver (with a hefty scholarship), Arizona State, and Colorado State. Rejected at UW, not surprised and not really bothered either. Still waiting on Portland State and Montana, which happen to be my first choices since my partner lives in Portland and could easily relocate to Missoula for his job. Hoping to hear soon!!! I'm finishing my MA in Musicology at UO right now, so it'll be great to know where I'm headed and start planning for the Fall.

I got accepted to Columbia and NYU! Still considering the amount of loans I will have to take out but at the same time I went to an instate school undergrad so I saved money there, don't know if the "investment" is worth it for grad school! Waiting on hunter still 

I am sure you posted it about it, but what are your stats? Congrats on all the acceptances so far =) 

Thank you! I graduated from Macalester College last May with a degree in Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies (3.4 GPA). I had about three internships in the field during undergrad and one paid position after graduating. I've worked mostly with children who have experienced trauma, abuse, and neglect, and preschoolers in an autism day treatment program. 

I just asked MSW at CSUEB for extention of the deadline to confirm attendance (3/10) because I'm waiting to hear back from another school. However, my request was denied. What do people do when they haven't heard back from other schools but need to decide?

I just asked MSW at CSUEB for extention of the deadline to confirm attendance (3/10) because I'm waiting to hear back from another school. However, my request was denied. What do people do when they haven't heard back from other schools but need to decide?

From what I've read, people will accept and pay the deposit to secure their spot, just in case and then later withdraw their acceptance and lose their deposit. The only sucky part is that in doing that, you are potentially taking a seat from another student and of course you lose your deposit.

you could call the schools you still need to hear back from and let them know about your situation, that you've been accepted by other programs and would like to know if a decision has been reached. Sometimes they'll pull your application and tell you right the and there (that's the exception however). Good luck! at least you have a for sure thing! Better than none at all!

I just discovered this forum and it's helped ease my obsessive email and mail checking to know when people have heard from certain schools! It's been neat to hear about other people's processes, as well.

So far I've been accepted to University of Denver (with a hefty scholarship), Arizona State, and Colorado State. Rejected at UW, not surprised and not really bothered either. Still waiting on Portland State and Montana, which happen to be my first choices since my partner lives in Portland and could easily relocate to Missoula for his job. Hoping to hear soon!!! I'm finishing my MA in Musicology at UO right now, so it'll be great to know where I'm headed and start planning for the Fall.

What deadline did you apply for at UW? If you don't mind me asking!

From what I've read, people will accept and pay the deposit to secure their spot, just in case and then later withdraw their acceptance and lose their deposit. The only sucky part is that in doing that, you are potentially taking a seat from another student and of course you lose your deposit.

you could call the schools you still need to hear back from and let them know about your situation, that you've been accepted by other programs and would like to know if a decision has been reached. Sometimes they'll pull your application and tell you right the and there (that's the exception however). Good luck! at least you have a for sure thing! Better than none at all!

Thank you, @saidypoo. I called SFSU to find they won't start sending out their decisions until the first week of April..that is a while from now. I'll accept my spot at CSUEB, I think they have a great program anyway, and I like that they have the Health/Mental Health concentration. Good luck to your applications!

Wow, it's been a roller coaster ride but I'm very pleased to say, I've been accepted into Boston College's MSW program as a second year transfer student!

Unlike some people, I was actually a nervous wreck every time I visited this forum. Hearing people getting accepted into the programs of their choice made me happy for them but at the same time, I was anxious about my own status. So I stayed away for the past few weeks haha.

It's been a long time coming. I originally began my graduate school pursuits in 2013. I applied and was accepted at UPenn, UPitt, Temple & Boston College. I chose BC because of their rich program and special interest in refugee studies. By the time summer rolled around, I was ready for the move. Unfortunately, around July I had a serious family situation regarding my baby nephew and had to reassess my plans. It was such a blow to my pride to inform BC I couldn't attend. I remember crying for a straight week because I couldn't understand why my plans were falling apart and why I was being held back from pursuing a graduate degree. To make matters worse, I missed the deadline for a local MSW program in my area so I was stuck. Long story short, I made the best with what I had and took MSW classes as a non-degree seeking student at a local university and transferred those credits when I was admitted as a FT student.

I am so grateful for the program I am in now...the faculty and staff are so good to me and I am loving my current field placement at a homeless shelter. However, I wanted to be exposed to a richer learning environment. The program here is relatively new so the resources and classes have its limits. In addition, I seek to find employment in the northeast area so I want to be in a region where I could have a better chance of securing employment. Lastly, BC has always resonated with me.

With that in mind, I took the chance of applying *just* to BC. If it wasn't meant to be, I would be at peace and complete my last year in FL. But I wanted to take that chance so I completed my application the end of October and submitted my most current transcript in January. Yesterday I received word I was accepted! YAY! What an excruciating wait!!

If any incoming BC people are looking for a roommate(s) in the fall, please feel free to message me! Also, if you have any questions about MSW programs in general, feel free to contact me as well. I LOVE everything about social work and I hope your passion for helping people will deepen from the program!

Best wishes to all,

Christine 

I just got my acceptance packet (snail mail) to CSULA!! I'm beyond thrilled (and *may* have possibly broken down in tears of relief.) I'm still waiting to hear from the other schools, but this is very exciting and validating news. My undergrad degree is in music--so even though I have a good amount of social work experience, I was really starting to doubt my ability to get into an MSW program. Now, I'm just feeling super happy and super grateful. 

I just got my acceptance packet (snail mail) to CSULA!! I'm beyond thrilled (and *may* have possibly broken down in tears of relief.) I'm still waiting to hear from the other schools, but this is very exciting and validating news. My undergrad degree is in music--so even though I have a good amount of social work experience, I was really starting to doubt my ability to get into an MSW program. Now, I'm just feeling super happy and super grateful.

Congrats on your acceptance!!!!

Has anyone heard back from Chico or University of South Florida?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Chico. I sent my application in late November. From what their website says they don't notify until late March  :(. Has anyone heard from SJSU or Stanislaus?

Edited by Gram

Yay for you guys!! I am waiting to hear back from CSUEB. My GPA isn't that great 2.7 but I have mainly Bs in the SW program. My Cs are from community college.I have experience in mental health, field experience and I'm an officer in the SW club. My writing isn't that great but I'm hoping I get in. I don't know what my chances are. Can you guys explain your academic background if you don't mind? Maybe I can figure out my chances. Again, congrats! That's so awesome!

BA in Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies from Macalester College

3.4 GPA

4 internships during undergrad, one paid position postgrad in the field

Congrats! What concentration did you apply to? Mind sharing when you applied and some stats?

I applied too (fsw concentration) and was just told I'd hear back by the end of March.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Chico. I sent my application in late November. From what their website says they don't notify until late March  :(. Has anyone heard from SJSU or Stanislaus?

Yes I read that also. Originally they said Mid March, but I guess they fell behind. I would really love to know soon because I applied for advanced standing. Did you apply to the advanced standing program also?

Yes I read that also. Originally they said Mid March, but I guess they fell behind. I would really love to know soon because I applied for advanced standing. Did you apply to the advanced standing program also?

Yes I did. Chico is my first choice because of the Advanced Standing option. Can't get a better deal than a Master's in a year! 

Congrats! What concentration did you apply to? Mind sharing when you applied and some stats?

I applied too (fsw concentration) and was just told I'd hear back by the end of March.

Sure thing:

I applied right on the deadline (overnight mail) for the CYWF concentration. Volunteer experience as a special needs classroom aide and youth soccer coach, job experience as a summer counselor and nanny. But more directly, I worked for two years at a psychiatric hospital for male adolescent offenders, where I started a performing arts program. (I'm about to finish my music degree with a psych concentration, 3.9 gpa.) I've spent the past year as a victim advocate at a domestic violence shelter, and about a year as a research assistant in a lab that studies trauma. My letter writers also really came through for me, so I'm incredibly grateful for that.

Sure thing:

I applied right on the deadline (overnight mail) for the CYWF concentration. Volunteer experience as a special needs classroom aide and youth soccer coach, job experience as a summer counselor and nanny. But more directly, I worked for two years at a psychiatric hospital for male adolescent offenders, where I started a performing arts program. (I'm about to finish my music degree with a psych concentration, 3.9 gpa.) I've spent the past year as a victim advocate at a domestic violence shelter, and about a year as a research assistant in a lab that studies trauma. My letter writers also really came through for me, so I'm incredibly grateful for that.

Thanks! I can definitely see why they'd want you abroad. I like how your music degree has even helped you with your social service experiences. That's what I like about the field. Different backgrounds can contribute. Again, thanks and congrats! :)