Fall 2015 Applicants

Hey everyone,

So I'm reading through posts and I've noticed quite a bit of people who submitted their applications to NYU back in Jan and have already heard back. I submitted mine back in Jan as well but I still haven't heard back, is there still hope for me? Maybe I'm just getting anxious waiting to hear back from schools. I've applied to three school and still haven't heard back from any....

Hey everyone,

So I'm reading through posts and I've noticed quite a bit of people who submitted their applications to NYU back in Jan and have already heard back. I submitted mine back in Jan as well but I still haven't heard back, is there still hope for me? Maybe I'm just getting anxious waiting to hear back from schools. I've applied to three school and still haven't heard back from any....

I am within a different field, but if it makes you feel any better I applied to approximately 16 programs - all were due Dec 1 through Jan 1.  I've been rejected by 3, accepted by my lowest program (safety of safety's), implicitly rejected by 5 others, and only have a few left.

Anxiety is terrible during application season!  But keep up the hope.  

I am within a different field, but if it makes you feel any better I applied to approximately 16 programs - all were due Dec 1 through Jan 1.  I've been rejected by 3, accepted by my lowest program (safety of safety's), implicitly rejected by 5 others, and only have a few left.

Anxiety is terrible during application season!  But keep up the hope.  

Love the reply! There is a lot of anxiety with apply to the right program for yourself. I actually thought about applying out of state, but it was too late by then. It would've been nice to get away from California for a couple of years and be in debt lol.

Hey everyone,

Stay positive! At least you havent been rejected yet, that has to be a good thing

I'm also applying to SJSU.  Really looking like my best option location and ranking-wise currently.  Also applying to other social work schools in Chicago, where I am from. 

Just curious have you heard back from SJSU?

Just curious have you heard back from SJSU?

I have not, but I have been in contact with a first year student from SJSU from this forum and she has given me the following info: " "I hope you applied at other schools because the president of our school has intentions to drastically reduce the acceptance rate from 120 students to 60 students and keep in mind about 400-500 students apply!

But out of the 60 students:

-20 will be accepted for part time

-20 will be accepted for full-time

-20 students will be accepted for Title IV-E!!

So it even further reduces your chances of being selected. Our school president wants to drastically reduce the social work program because he doesn't consider social work a high demand career in the Silicon Valley. Therefore, with the cutbacks, that money will be REdistributed into high demand careers which are engineering and business, as stated by the President of our school. Reducing the admittance to 60 students demonstrates how with time our program will diminish."

Sooo...with that information at hand, I'm not exactly optimistic! 

Damn those SJSU statistics are pretty disappointing. I just visited there a few weekends ago and a representative in the admissions office said that I wouldn't hear back until April...

Has anybody heard back from SDSU or SFSU? I do not think I plan on going to SFSU because I heard that their program is not doing very well recently but just curious to see if anybody has heard anything.

Can anyone that sent an email for an extension on enrollment into a program post it here? I am trying to draft something but having trouble with what I should say.

Honestly, this is all I said!:

Hello,

I received an email last week informing me that I have been admitted to the MSW Fall 2015 program. I am curious about deferment - what this entails, how long it is applicable for, etc. Is there an option to extend my 4 week window to accept or decline the admissions offer? I am traveling outside of the country, and have not yet heard back from other schools that I am considering. I was surprised to receive information regarding acceptance so soon (10 days) after submitting my application. I was planning on waiting 4-6 weeks like most other programs, and as indicated on your website. Still very excited about the prospect of attending! Just curious to learn more about the next steps and decision making process.

Thanks for your time,

Kelsey Woida

Also, Hunter emailed me back saying that I will get scheduling options for a Skype interview sometime in mid-March. I wish it were sooner! A part of me is just ready to commit somewhere so I can start envisioning myself in a new city and figure out the logistics. Still unsure if it's a Skype group interview, or what that even looks like, haha. 

good luck

Thanks so much @jalapeno_bagel!!! I have my in-person interview today at 5. Completely freaking out. I will let you know all the details after!

Also, Hunter emailed me back saying that I will get scheduling options for a Skype interview sometime in mid-March. I wish it were sooner! A part of me is just ready to commit somewhere so I can start envisioning myself in a new city and figure out the logistics. Still unsure if it's a Skype group interview, or what that even looks like, haha. 

Good luck on your interviews guys! My application still says incomplete so I'm kinda freaking out (and obessively checking my email), but all that's is listed as missing is my transcripts and I submitted 02/11 so I probably need to be patient. Definitely share the how your interviews goes!

Helloo guys

I have been admitted into U Of Pitt, just curious to know from people who have received their official letters. Did you receive the scholarship decision in the packet via mail or can one view it online also, in the portal decision?

The scholarship letter was sent separately in the mail. It came a little over three weeks later. I also would like to ask, when does your letter state you have to get back to them with a decision? I asked because Philip, the addmissions director, called me and told me I will get an extension if I decide to come visit on march 25th, and I wanted to see if your deadline was the same as mine.

Damn those SJSU statistics are pretty disappointing. I just visited there a few weekends ago and a representative in the admissions office said that I wouldn't hear back until April...

Has anybody heard back from SDSU or SFSU? I do not think I plan on going to SFSU because I heard that their program is not doing very well recently but just curious to see if anybody has heard anything.

Yeah very disappointing.  Not a sign of a good future for the program either, so regardless of my chances it was kind of a huge turn off for me. 

@mswgal and @jalapeno_bagel, the interview was really relaxed, there was 7 of us plus the interviewer. The questions were pretty simple and straight forward. I was pretty nervous regardless because I am just a nervous person lol, and I'm not really sure how it went. I really think it could go either way for me. But we'll see. The questions were about expectations of grad school, why hunter, what constructive criticism you have experienced in the field, and just overall your experience thus far in social work. There was also a writing sample and it talked about social welfare implications of police harassment in a certain community and the steps they are taking to address it.

The scholarship letter was sent separately in the mail. It came a little over three weeks later. I also would like to ask, when does your letter state you have to get back to them with a decision? I asked because Philip, the addmissions director, called me and told me I will get an extension if I decide to come visit on march 25th, and I wanted to see if your deadline was the same as mine.

Actually I am yet to recieve my admission letter, had a word with theresa, she told me letter has been dispatched and it should reach soon, it was 5 days back I am wondering when will I recieve it. How long after the admit did you recieve your packet?

Edited by Psycholicious_2015

So I got a letter from CSULA for "provisional acceptance" for the 2-year Forensic Social Work program. I guess they are waiting for my GPA from admissions or something which I should be good in. But they sent me the packet to send back by March 5 that includes the statement of commitment. I guess I am in, but I will get a final approval once the University does their part. It's a bit confusing, but I am going to call and check. 

So I got a letter from CSULA for "provisional acceptance" for the 2-year Forensic Social Work program. I guess they are waiting for my GPA from admissions or something which I should be good in. But they sent me the packet to send back by March 5 that includes the statement of commitment. I guess I am in, but I will get a final approval once the University does their part. It's a bit confusing, but I am going to call and check.

Congrats! Is that your top choice? I applied to the same program too actually. Mind sharing any stats? All I was told is that I'd hear back by the end of March but I can't wait that long lol