Fall 2015 Applicants

Just received this email from Seattle:

It is still too close to call!

Thank you for your application to the MSW program.  We received your complete application for our December deadline and therefore expected to have a decision to you this month. We are impressed with your qualifications, however it is too close to call.

We had an overall increase to our applicant pool from last year.  Most of our candidates display very good match with the school and profession.  For that reason, it is taking us a bit longer to construct this cohort than we expected.

I am sorry to disappoint you by saying we won’t be able to make a final determination on your application for a few more weeks.  I guarantee you will hear from us by the week of March 24, if not sooner.

Sincerely,

Juanita Ricks

Director of Admissions

Do you have a top choice?

Not completely! I've been trying to keep an open mind and heart until I hear back from everywhere I've applied, but there's been such a stretch of time between being admitted to some places and waiting around for others. I've naturally been looking into the places I've been accepted, as of right now I am most interested in UPenn. But I have an interview with Hunter next week and I'm still really waiting to hear from Seattle and to see what they offer me for aid if anything/what my intuitive gut response is. 

Thank you for your application to the MSW program. We received your complete application for our December deadline and therefore expected to have a decision to you this month. We are impressed with your qualifications, however it is too close to call.

We had an overall increase to our applicant pool from last year. Most of our candidates display very good match with the school and profession. For that reason, it is taking us a bit longer to construct this cohort than we expected.

I am sorry to disappoint you by saying we won’t be able to make a final determination on your application for a few more weeks. I guarantee you will hear from us by the week of March 24, if not sooner.

Sincerely,

Juanita Ricks

Director of Admissions

Well, at least they let you know and didn't leave you on pins and needles hearing nothing for another 20+ days ... But really, it's too close to call? They need three more weeks to determine who to keep? Is this

your top choice?

ETA: just saw your response. Unless my heart was set on Seattle, I think I'd be a bit put off by being told they need three more weeks to decide if you're worth keeping. My opinion of course.

Edited by thepinkdragon76

I got into Umich! I did not receive an email or anything I logged onto wolverine access clicked application status and I had the new option of "View Decision". It states that I should have received an email about it but I haven't as of yet. 

Now to decide haha

Hi! I am going crazy trying to decide what school to pick. Does anyone have advice on the MSW program for NYU vs Columbia vs U of Chicago? I am interested in international social work (clinical). :)

Hi baboon15,

This is not an answer to your question (sorry), but when did you receive your decision from Columbia? And how? Was it through phone, email, mail?

I've anecdotally heard that NYU is overpriced for the quality and rigor of education, but I think it would be smart to do some more research.

Thanks and best of luck deciding.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on choosing between U Chicago and UW Seattle?

Did you get into Seattle? I'm tryna figure out if they sent that "it's too close to call" email to everyone or if they're letting me down gently...haha

Did you get into Seattle? I'm tryna figure out if they sent that "it's too close to call" email to everyone or if they're letting me down gently...haha

I did get in, but I doubt they're just letting people down gently. I feel like they would be more direct than that. Maybe they're just behind on reading applications.

Hi baboon15,

This is not an answer to your question (sorry), but when did you receive your decision from Columbia? And how? Was it through phone, email, mail?

I've anecdotally heard that NYU is overpriced for the quality and rigor of education, but I think it would be smart to do some more research.

Thanks and best of luck deciding.

I heard two days ago via email. They sent me an email asking me to log in for my decision. So hopefully your notice will be coming very soon.

I actually heard those things about Columbia. That it was overpriced and they don't offer much for clinical. Mostly that it's just a name you're paying for. NYU is also a decent amount cheaper. But..... still unsure of what to do.

Hi jalapeno_bagel - I think you asked earlier what was included in Smith's acceptance package. Mine included my preliminary offer of aid as well as the region I'd been matched to for my first placement. They don't match you to a specific agency until you've accepted your offer of admission.

I was accepted as an early decision applicant last year, but deferred enrollment until this summer for various reasons. I'm still waiting to hear what agency I'll be at. They let me know that information will come in late March/early April. 

I hope you hear good news from Smith! I'm very excited to be starting this summer, especially after deferring a year.

I got an acceptance letter to the 2 year program at CSUEB on Saturday. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Has anyone else heard back from East Bay yet?

Congrats!! I applied to east bay as well but I'm out of town and cant check my mail :( . Did you apply to the regular 2 year program or title iv e?

I got an acceptance letter to the 2 year program at CSUEB on Saturday. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Has anyone else heard back from East Bay yet?

I had my mom check the mail for me. I got accepted!!!!!!! I'm still waiting to hear back from uc Berkeley and sjsu but I'm really excited. I applied to the title iv e program as well so I'm hoping I'll hear something about that soon.

Congrats!! I applied to east bay as well but I'm out of town and cant check my mail :( . Did you apply to the regular 2 year program or title iv e?

mswhopeful2015 woohoo, doesn't feel nice to fell wanted? My letter said I only had until 3/10 to reply with an answer but I've read on this forum you may be able to ask for an extension. I only applied to the East Bay; I'm an older student, maybe your grandma's age, and I feel comfortable there. I hope that you are accepted to all schools you applied to.

Having to decide which you accept is a good problem.

I did, and on my portal it says decision mailed but i still haven't gotten anything yet! i'm in philadelphia so I was expecting something today. the wait is brutal, i don't know why they didn't post decisions online.

I got mine on 2/26 and im in FL! I hope you received yours already! 

Thank you for your application to the MSW program.  We received your complete application for our December deadline and therefore expected to have a decision to you this month. We are impressed with your qualifications, however it is too close to call.

We had an overall increase to our applicant pool from last year.  Most of our candidates display very good match with the school and profession.  For that reason, it is taking us a bit longer to construct this cohort than we expected.

I am sorry to disappoint you by saying we won’t be able to make a final determination on your application for a few more weeks.  I guarantee you will hear from us by the week of March 24, if not sooner.

Sincerely,

Juanita Ricks

Director of Admissions

I am sure you posted it about it, but what are your stats? Congrats on all the acceptances so far =)