2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Do late recommendation letters ever disqualify your application for admission?

I have one referee (not sure if that is the proper term) who is late on submitting a letter that was due today. He says he did not receive the link to upload, and I've tried emailing the graduate admission office to resend it twice, and still heard nothing from them. I hope it will not be an issue, but it is stressing me out regardless. I cannot wait for this process to be over.

Edited by darkstar

I have one referee (not sure if that is the proper term) who is late on submitting a letter that was due today. He says he did not receive the link to upload, and I've tried emailing the graduate admission office to resend it twice, and still heard nothing from them. I hope it will not be an issue, but it is stressing me out regardless. I cannot wait for this process to be over.

I had the same problem, all three of the people I contacted said to have it in before the adcom meets, but if it's not in it won't help or hurt.

I was worried about this as well (one of my letter writers was extremely late). I did a bit of research on it and from what I've read, schools tend to be pretty understanding about that. They know that you can't completely control these situations and I can't imagine they'd penalize you for your letter writer's lack of time-management abilities :P I think a lot of schools even anticipate that many of the letters will be sent in late. So long as it's no more than a week or two, I think you'll be just fine. 

Master's Institution: bigger state school (in progress)

Major(s): Geology

Overall GPA: 4.0

Undergrad Institution: smaller state school (2010)

Major(s): Geology
Overall GPA: 3.67

Type of Student: new American citizen

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 152
V: 168
W: 3.0

Research Experience: five years of research experience at geological survey as student employee; senior honors thesis (presented at major conference); Master's research (presented at major conference) 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: student employee at geological survey for 5 years conducting independent research projects as well as collaborating with other geological survey scientists

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  first-author publication in a top-tier, discipline-specific journal for work-related research; several co-authorships in publications and poster presentations

Special Bonus Points: I know exactly what I want to do for my PhD research (expanding my current research) which is particularly well-aligned with my potential advisor's interests; positive one-on-one chat with potential advisor about working together and solving some geologic puzzles; very strong LORs from my mentor and collaborators at the geological survey who saw me "grow up" as a scientist in the past 5 years

Applying to Where: 

(all or nothing)
Stanford University, Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences, PhD

It sounds like there could be a problem with their emails.

in 2013 when I tried to contact some of the Universities my company had some changes in domain and stuff, so my email was conflicted betweeen the new one and the last one, all supposed to be linked for sending or receiving but apparently something went up and I didn't received anything, so when I contacted them with my personal account some of them were kind of upset because I didn't know that I had the problem which to my deffense it was only with external emails.

Darkstar, I too encountered a similar issue early in my application process (see the 'issue with LOR' thread in the Earth Sciences forum, there is some great advice there). I managed to speak with many programs about this and like stated above, most schools do not even begin to review applications until the week following the deadline, at the earliest. One program even said that 2/3 letters was usually sufficient and, if they felt the third letter was needed they would reach out to that professor personally.

I would contact the schools to which you are applying, as well as your POIs. I think this is extremely common (unfortunately!  :unsure: ) and I don't think it will affect your applications.

Sorry for coming in late, but I wanted to get an acceptance before posting.

Undergrad Institution: Small state engineering institution
Major(s): Geophysics
Minor(s): Mathematics, Geology
GPA in Major: 3.69
Overall GPA: 3.73
Position in Class: upper quartile
Type of Student: domestic male

Q: 166
V: 167
W: 4.0

Research Experience: 2 summers + 1 continuing year of post-bachelors research at national laboratory in related field, 1 conference poster, manuscript in prep., 4 week school field session.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Awarded DOE research grant for 2 summers, awarded school scholarship and a departmental award, received school's only liberal arts award (worth a few Brownie Points, right?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: not really

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Held a couple Editor in Chief positions for school publications, was a V.P. and peer-counselor in a minority engineering society (again, Brownie Points?)

Special Bonus Points: At least one recommender has a connection at each school to which I applied, conducted field work with one POI (Austin), took a grad class in area of research interest

Applying to Where:

Scripps Institute of Oceanography (UCSD) - Geophysics - EQ Seismology (Accepted! 1/8)
UT Austin - Civil Engineering (Geotechnical) - Seismic Site Characterization & PSHA

UC Santa Cruz - Earth & Planetary Sciences - EQ Seismology

University of Washington (Seattle) - ESS - EQ Seismology

USC - Earth Sciences - EQ Seismology 

Scripps/SDSU Joint Geophysics Program - Earthquake Science

Very excited to hear back from Scripps. I was completely shut out last application cycle, so I was worried about that this year too. Took the year after undergrad to research more appropriate schools, boost my research ability, and work on a manuscript (I think my application was also improved by not having 17+ credit hours of school work and extracurriculars breathing down my neck). As others have stated, start preparing your applications early and contact your POIs when they aren't drowning in papers that need to be graded. And if you don't get in the first time around, don't give up!

Research Experience: 2 summers + 1 continuing year of post-bachelors research at national laboratory in related field, 1 conference poster, manuscript in prep., 4 week school field session.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Awarded DOE research grant for 2 summers, awarded school scholarship and a departmental award, received school's only liberal arts award (worth a few Brownie Points, right?)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Held a couple Editor in Chief positions for school publications, was a V.P. and peer-counselor in a minority engineering society (again, Brownie Points?)

Special Bonus Points: At least one recommender has a connection at each school to which I applied, conducted field work with one POI (Austin), took a grad class in area of research interest

Applying to Where:

Scripps Institute of Oceanography (UCSD) - Geophysics - EQ Seismology (Accepted! 1/8)

UT Austin - Civil Engineering (Geotechnical) - Seismic Site Characterization & PSHA

Very excited to hear back from Scripps. I was completely shut out last application cycle, so I was worried about that this year too. Took the year after undergrad to research more appropriate schools, boost my research ability, and work on a manuscript (I think my application was also improved by not having 17+ credit hours of school work and extracurriculars breathing down my neck). As others have stated, start preparing your applications early and contact your POIs when they aren't drowning in papers that need to be graded. And if you don't get in the first time around, don't give up!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Scripps! 

Applying to Where:

That's great, congratulations on your acceptance.

Its still not the 15th, which is the most popular deadline for Earth Sciences. Another thing is my depts deadline was 9 days ago and they probably wont have an adcomm meeting until next friday. No news at this point means nothing at this point. 

My UT-Austin interface says something like, "your application for admission has been forwarded to the appropriate admissions committee for review".  

In looking at the 'Results Page', it seems as though UT-Austin accepts students from late January through mid-March. I hope to hear something during that time frame as they are certainly my top choice!

I think UT sends interview requests for their recruitment weekend near the end of February.

I applied there, but nothing yet. I am not feeling super optimistic. 

I'm optimistic because I just have to be, but I really can't say if my chances are good. Still I'm axious as fuck.

Its still not the 15th, which is the most popular deadline for Earth Sciences. Another thing is my depts deadline was 9 days ago and they probably wont have an adcomm meeting until next friday. No news at this point means nothing at this point. 

I hope I hear from UT before, hopefully in february. My other two options are still accepting applications so it'll be another extra month or two to hear from them.

My UT-Austin interface says something like, "your application for admission has been forwarded to the appropriate admissions committee for review".  

In looking at the 'Results Page', it seems as though UT-Austin accepts students from late January through mid-March. I hope to hear something during that time frame as they are certainly my top choice!

Mine says the same, I know results start in late january, but I didn't know if interviews were before or after giving notice of acceptance. They're also my top choice, hopefully we'll both get in.

@geomex: I hope so too!

I am always blown away at the credentials many using this forum have (work experience, teaching,

Gre, etc.). I wonder if this reflects the majority of those applying to graduate school.

For the sake of my sanity, I like to think it doesn't.

@geomex: I hope so too!

I am always blown away at the credentials many using this forum have (work experience, teaching,

Gre, etc.). I wonder if this reflects the majority of those applying to graduate school.

I think you could get a good idea of the people that could get in viewing the search results, I'm glad when I see people with no that high GPA or GRE scores and got in, it gets me hopeful.

I think you could get a good idea of the people that could get in viewing the search results, I'm glad when I see people with no that high GPA or GRE scores and got in, it gets me hopeful.

Yeah me thinks so too! I'm curious whether regular cafe users represent a small fraction of application pools (as far as credentials are concerned). Or does every school receive 100 applications of students with STELLAR everything? I imagine it's all over the place really...

Yeah me thinks so too! I'm curious whether regular cafe users represent a small fraction of application pools (as far as credentials are concerned). Or does every school receive 100 applications of students with STELLAR everything? I imagine it's all over the place really...

I really hope they are just a small fraction and applying to other Universities so I can get in the ones I applied. :P

Me too! My GRE scores are sub-subpar (scores are almost 5 years old) and I am hoping my other credentials would shine through! Good luck to everyone! And congratulations to all who had been accepted already!  :D

Me too! My GRE scores are sub-subpar (scores are almost 5 years old) and I am hoping my other credentials would shine through! Good luck to everyone! And congratulations to all who had been accepted already!  :D

What are you talking about? you got 168 and 152, those are good, maybe a little low in the quantitative, but with all your other credentials I don't think it would matter

Research Experience: Senior thesis project involving field work and geochron lab work (I did everything from sample crushing, up to data analysis, never would have thought I could care about a grain of zircon so much), hoping to present at an upcoming conference, maybe do a paper

I absolutely understand how you feel about zircons.

What are you talking about? you got 168 and 152, those are good, maybe a little low in the quantitative, but with all your other credentials I don't think it would matter

Definitely insecure about the quant score!

Hey everyone, sorry to be posting a little late, but here it goes. Give me your opinion!

Undergrad Institution: Mid/large private school in TX

Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.44
Overall GPA: 3.14
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Born/lived abroad, but currently a US citizen. Minority, male.

Q: 159
V: 154
W: 6.0 ------> is this worth anything? just curious..

Research Experience: Written one small research paper, attended one REU funded by NSF and Los Alamos Nat'l Lab. Abstract publication and pres. at AGU. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List for a semester, not much other than that.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Student member of SEG,AAPG,SSA..do field work now and then for profs/grad students

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Fluent in speaking/writing/reading in two languages, not sure if this helps. 

Special Bonus Points: Several grad classes in geophysics and computing with geophysical data. Two of my LOR are from my institution, one is from a different institution out of state (a professor from my REU). One of my institution LOR writers worked for 13 yrs at one of the institutions I am applying to and works with four different POI's out of the seven institutions I am applying to. The other two are relatively well known...Have met/talked with POI's from 4/7 institutions

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am a student athlete

Applying to Where:

UT Austin - JSG - MS Geophysics 

University of Kansas - MS Geophysics 

University of Oklahoma- MS Geophysics 

Texas Tech - MS Geophysics 

Texas A&M - MS Geophysics 

CSM - MS Geophysics 

UH - MS Geophysics 

I've had some good experience, and the courses I've taken are reflective of that. I'm a little worried about GPA, but we'll see what happens..

Edited by anco3393