2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Is it necessary to email your POI and let them know that you are waiting on a decision from another school? What is the protocol here?

yeah, if there is no stated deadline, should you just email as a courtesy?  I am not sure what to do.

Has anyone heard from University of Washington ESS?

I haven't heard anything from them. I know they are on spring break this week, but I am not sure if that will speed things up or slow them down.

I see that you are waitlisted at Oregon State. Did they contact you to notify you of this? I haven't heard anything from them either, so I am just curious if I should email the DGS or something. 

I haven't heard anything from them. I know they are on spring break this week, but I am not sure if that will speed things up or slow them down.

I see that you are waitlisted at Oregon State. Did they contact you to notify you of this? I haven't heard anything from them either, so I am just curious if I should email the DGS or something. 

Thanks for the info re: UW. 

Re: Oregon State, I emailed them in late February and was told I was waitlisted and just had to wait until they hear back from their first round of acceptances. I am guessing if you have not heard back you are in the same boat, but contacting them wouldn't be the worst idea since it is already late March.

I think it can be good to give your POI heads up that you are waiting on another school. Both of my POIs at different schools know each other, talked about my situation, and understand that I should go with the school that has the best financial offer.

Reply from ERE, Stanford regarding when will they notify the decisions for their MS program in Petro

"Thank you for your email.  Decisions will be emailed this month.  Thank you for your patience as the admissions committee continues to thoroughly review applications."

Hope this helps all those impatient souls like me who have been checking this thread each hour for all the updates

My school is also on spring break, has any one received information during their spring break or are they just shut down for a week?

My school is also on spring break, has any one received information during their spring break or are they just shut down for a week?

That's what I hoped for but all the schools went on spring break last week or the week before and I'm still waiting on the southwest/west coast schools.

I've only heard from east coast schools.

Edited by Iodargyrite

What is going on with UC Irvine's ESS? It looks like they still haven't sent a single acceptance/rejection letter and we're about 3 weeks away from April 15th. I've emailed them to ask for a status update and still haven't heard back.

Have you heard anything from any professors there? UCI ESS rarely accepts anyone without a faculty sponsor off the bat, because profs have to start paying for students in the spring quarter of their first year. 

I withdrew my application the other day, but I was in talks with a prof there. 

ETA: as in, we were in talks just last week. So it looks like UCI ESS likes to take its time. 

Edited by bethileptic

Have you heard anything from any professors there? UCI ESS rarely accepts anyone without a faculty sponsor off the bat, because profs have to start paying for students in the spring quarter of their first year. 

I withdrew my application the other day, but I was in talks with a prof there. 

ETA: as in, we were in talks just last week. So it looks like UCI ESS likes to take its time. 

I've been talking pretty closely with a faculty member there and I felt like he was very interested in me going to UCI. I also went to the visitor day and had really good discussions with a few of the faculty. They explained that they guarantee funding for 5 years so they try to make sure you have an advisor committed to funding you but it still seems very strange that they haven't accepted/rejected a single person for the program yet. We're just 3 weeks away from making final decisions and it just seems strange that nobody has heard back.

I've been talking pretty closely with a faculty member there and I felt like he was very interested in me going to UCI.

It sounds to me like you're in good shape, then. Have you asked him how admissions are coming along? They just had finals to deal with last week, so he may have been busy. 

And like you've pointed out: there have not been many admits (I have seen a couple, I think), so I wouldn't worry about not having heard anything yet. Unless you have other offers -- if so, let your POI know! 

the many things boggling my mind about this whole process:

- i got a postcard in the mail from Utah telling me my financial aid information was incomplete (which it definitely isn't, they must want something random).  The card says as soon as I'm fully admitted to log on to the fin aid website to update my materials. Portal still says "in process."

- i got an email from Rutgers fin aid last week asking for a hand written note (??) indicating the whether I would have my bachelor's degree by July 1, 2015. Portal still says "no decision."

- my own POI asked me if I had heard anything from the Rutgers grad committee.

- 2 weeks ago, a colleague from AMNH congratulated me on my acceptance to Rutgers.  Portal still says "no decision."

o_O

the many things boggling my mind about this whole process:

- i got a postcard in the mail from Utah telling me my financial aid information was incomplete (which it definitely isn't, they must want something random).  The card says as soon as I'm fully admitted to log on to the fin aid website to update my materials. Portal still says "in process."

- i got an email from Rutgers fin aid last week asking for a hand written note (??) indicating the whether I would have my bachelor's degree by July 1, 2015. Portal still says "no decision."

- my own POI asked me if I had heard anything from the Rutgers grad committee.

- 2 weeks ago, a colleague from AMNH congratulated me on my acceptance to Rutgers.  Portal still says "no decision."

o_O

Wow

At least here, spring break is an undergrad break, nothing more. All departments are operating normally, including admissions related stuff. For departments where decisions may not have been made, the only complication is childcare if the public schools are on spring break as well--in which case, some people might be out of the office, but working from home.