2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

So a very weird situation, UT Austin actually emailed me saying that the rejection letter was a member mistake and that I was offered a TA position !!!!

Can't tell if April Fools or for real. If real, congrats!

All joking aside, just wanted to post that I was rejected from UMass.  Saw the decision in the online portal.

eta: I didnt have a POI and didn't contact anyone there, I just applied on a whim.

Edited by mkd17

Damnit, people!  I completely forgot it was April Fools until I got on here...

ETS apparently just filed for bankruptcy and won't be administering the GRE anymore starting tomorrow.

I wish.  I envision ETS people rolling around in stacks of money laughing at the students who are furiously studying by purchasing their ridiculously overpriced (and not very helpful) books. 

So, here's a strange question... If I accept my TA offer, then my Master's project would likely involve a significant amount of time field mapping in western Montana. Does anyone know how prevalent dangerous wildlife (i.e. grizzly bears) encounters are in this area? I know that bear spray and making noise or having a mapping assistant are good deterrents. I guess my question is how nervous would you be spending at least a couple of months field time mapping in an area like this? Is it silly to worry about such things?

Darkstar, It depends on how good you are with a machete. 

Not good enough, I'm afraid. Not exactly a huge fan of firearms either, so I may be screwed.

I just received a letter from the University saying that they have to change their decision regarding my acceptance because and I quote "I'm too white to be Mexican", and they really wanted to show they focus on diversity smh.

Hmmm sounds like you need to "check your privledge".

University of Toronto also saw my CV on monster.com..They want to offer me a full professorship with tenure (straight from undergrad). Is this good? Should I hold out for something more prestigous. I am feeling a bit odd about living in Canada #cultureshock #idontspeakfrench ...thoughts? I m so confused help me...

University of Toronto also saw my CV on monster.com..They want to offer me a full professorship with tenure (straight from undergrad). Is this good? Should I hold out for something more prestigous. I am feeling a bit odd about living in Canada #cultureshock #idontspeakfrench ...thoughts? I m so confused help me...

These have been cracking me up, thank you! I feel like Stanford and Toronto have Earth Science programs that are just too highly regarded. Like, it's not cool to go there anymore not as cool as like a Southern Gulf Coast Delaware Tech.

These have been cracking me up, thank you! I feel like Stanford and Toronto have Earth Science programs that are just too highly regarded. Like, it's not cool to go there anymore not as cool as like a Southern Gulf Coast Delaware Tech.

Good point Stanford is like so 2000 and late.

I don't know why this got down voted unless someone REALLY isn't getting the joke.  I think these are hilarious. 

All joking aside, just wanted to post that I was rejected from UMass. Saw the decision in the online portal.

eta: I didnt have a POI and didn't contact anyone there, I just applied on a whim.

Did you get an email telling you to check the website ? Also it was April fools UT Austin, the great school of Laura Bush, does not make mistakes Edited by columbia09

Did you get an email telling you to check the website ? Also it was April fools UT Austin, the great school of Laura Bush, does not make mistakes

No, I just did my random daily check and when I logged into Spire there was a blue "decision letter" under acknowledgement and status

No, I just did my random daily check and when I logged into Spire there was a blue "decision letter" under acknowledgement and status

That's the section where you check to see if your materials have been received correct ?

Oh okay mine doesn't have a letter. From what my POI said it sounded like at the very least I would get admitted without funding. I would obviously turn that down

Oh and fyi, I just got the email.

Oh and fyi, I just got the email.

Sorry about that did you get in anywhere else ? The only two schools where no decision has been made on my application are UMass and VT. Even though I already have an offer from another school I still would like to know what my status is. I'm guessing since the 15th is two weeks away that we'll hear soon

Hello everyone

I received an admit in Petroleum Engg. from University of Tulsa but had the following queries regarding the admission process. I would be grateful if you could answer them for me :

1. Though I applied to the thesis-based Masters, but I have been accepted into the non-thesis Masters program. Is such a program any good? If yes, then what are the prospects (job, research)? If not, then is it generally possible to get the program changed at a later point of time? ( I have the option of deferring the admission till Fall '16)
  2. Are students in non-thesis based Masters generally awarded funding? Since I am an international student, funding is essential for me to go anywhere.
  3. How is University of Tulsa for Petro? I primarily applied here because it had a cheap application fee (around $30 I guess, but they have been the most helpful with my application)
  4. On the whole, is enrolling in Grad School in Petro at this time a good idea?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone

I received an admit in Petroleum Engg. from University of Tulsa but had the following queries regarding the admission process. I would be grateful if you could answer them for me :

1. Though I applied to the thesis-based Masters, but I have been accepted into the non-thesis Masters program. Is such a program any good? If yes, then what are the prospects (job, research)? If not, then is it generally possible to get the program changed at a later point of time? ( I have the option of deferring the admission till Fall '16)
  2. Are students in non-thesis based Masters generally awarded funding? Since I am an international student, funding is essential for me to go anywhere.
  3. How is University of Tulsa for Petro? I primarily applied here because it had a cheap application fee (around $30 I guess, but they have been the most helpful with my application)
  4. On the whole, is enrolling in Grad School in Petro at this time a good idea?

Thanks in advance

Professional Masters hardly ever (if ever) get funded. I think they are being so nice because it is you, not them, who would be paying.

I have no idea about their rep, havent heard much about them. Also when you say "in petro" it is confusing most people might think "petrology".

Sorry about that did you get in anywhere else ? The only two schools where no decision has been made on my application are UMass and VT. Even though I already have an offer from another school I still would like to know what my status is. I'm guessing since the 15th is two weeks away that we'll hear soon

I got into UNH only so far.  I'm still waiting on Rutgers and Utah, but it's a weird situation because my POI at Utah was my adviser's adviser so the whole thing is like cloak and dagger.  April 15 is looking more likely for the date.