Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

wishingonuoft - If it's an acceptance it will be a big brown envelope, a rejected is a small white envelope.  I was not a UofT student when I got accepted either but I was able to log onto ROSI a few days before the letter came using the student ID# that is listed on your online application and it said status: Invited which meant I was in.  For the 2 year program the results will go out in mid-April

lee22 - Under Review just means they have all of your materials.  Someone mentioned when they have decided it will change to Decision Made but that isn't necessarily true.  They often don't update the online system.  I already had my acceptance letter and continued to check back for over 2 weeks just to see and it NEVER changed to Decision Made.  I know many other people for whom that was true as well.

The ROSI acceptance thing didn't shop up 2 weeks in advance, it was less than a week.  Mine changed to status invited about 5 days before I got the big acceptance letter in the mail.

When do Laurier's Advanced Standing results come out? Middle/end of Feb? I'm really anxious... Part of me still doesn't feel ready for Grad school but another part of me is super excited to just know. 

I'm managing somewhat because I will know something from Guelph within the next 2 weeks, but I am sure afterwards I'll be eager and anxious! Does anyone have any insight on the potential for commuting to U of T while doing the program FT... @smpalesh I believe i had seen you mention this on a previous post, any idea if it's manageable especially when it comes to completing the practicum?  

Does anyone have any insight on the potential for commuting to U of T while doing the program FT...

If you live in Hamilton the quickest and least stressful commute to downtown Toronto would likely involve the GO train. The closest stop would be Union Station.

Edited by jenste

@Socialworkerr that's a good perspective, I hadn't considered looking at it like that!

@jenste I am just a little outside of Hamilton so I know my commute wouldn't be complicated, but my concern is would I miss out on opportunities to participate in functions, events, organizations, missing out on valuable practicum placements in the Toronto area and/or gaining experience from these placements by keeping myself in the Hamilton area. 

blh22 - You can arrange to have your practicum in your own community.  They say that technically you can't but I know of 4 people last year who had it set up.  I had mine all set up before I had to defer.  As for classes I personally had it set up that I only had to go to Toronto one day a week for classes.  If I end up at UofT this fall (still hoping for Laurier but I know UofT is guaranteed) I am hoping I can get it the same way.  I'm planning on taking the GO train because the drive would be insane with rush hour.

LP3 - Last year people got acceptance emails on February 21, rejection snail mail letters on February 23-24 and I got a wait list offer on February 26.  I am hoping this time I am in the acceptance group!  I am anxious about the wait but at the same time I have 3 kids so life is pretty busy.

They had an info day at the beginning of April and I found out who the practicum co-ordinator was and I connected with her.  She then set me up with another woman who would be my contact throughout the process.  Basically be really proactive about it.  I sent her a list of my top 5 places I would like to do practicum in my area and who the contact person would be for each of those places.  Usually UofT placements are done through computer through a system called PAS.  You have to officially opt-out of PAS to arrange your own placement, which is kind of scary, but there is no way I could commute to Toronto that many days a week.  So if I don't get into Laurier I'll be doing this whole process again.  Yay. Oh, you aren't allowed to contact potential placements yourself, they really, really frown on that.  You have to let UofT make the contact.

Oh, I just realized you are in the 2 year!  Well I will leave the info up in case anyone else is interested.  I am assuming it will be different for the 2 year program.

I just completed the Lakehead H.B.S.W exam with three minutes to spare!!!! Did anyone else take it? How did you find it! I am glad to be done, and now that all of my applications are in, it is literally just a waiting game!!! Does anyone know when Lakehead will start sending out offers/rejections?

Also, for anyone applying to the 2-year M.S.W at Laurier and U of T. Are they both going to be sending out offers of admission/ rejections mid april? 

@soapaddict, unfortunately like many things nowadays I got in strictly via connections I had made through my volunteer work, sorry I can't be of more help! Since it's arguably the best mental health hospital in Canada, competition for positions is stiff and I imagine a lot of qualified applicants are turned away and that many people are overqualified for the positions that they do acquire. I wouldn't take it personally, and you can always reapply and hope for the best this time around!

I can't believe it is less than a month until the advanced standing applicants hear from Laurier!  As soon as mid-February hits I'm going to be on edge every time my phone dings signaling an email.  I go between thinking I have absolutely no chance to get in and thinking I have a good shot.  The odds are so small I likely don't have a big chance but I know I will still be crushed if I don't get in.  I know I have UofT as my back-up, which puts me in a better position than most people, and I am thankful, but I would really rather go to Laurier.  I have a chronic autoimmune disease which is not improving like we'd hoped (the reason I had to defer last year) so I would rather not have to add commuting on to the already heavy stress load of doing my master's while raising 3 kids!