Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Maybe I should clarify... they have started organizing the applications as in making a file for each applicant and gathering their info and making sure their application is complete and they have everything they need (transcripts, resume, CV, personal statement etc.) 

However, they did not start reading it yet ... thats what I was told. 

She also allowed me to email her an updated copy of my resume/CV yesterday because she said they didnt read them yet. If you want to submit an extra resume/CV with extra hours I would email Angela ASAP to do it ... they let me do it yesterday!

It's the same job I've been working at for over a year. My resume has the dates as until present so I'm sure they assume I'm still there. But the extra 480 hours wouldn't hurt.

Yesterday I received an acceptance to York... for the advanced standing program. I had to email them and tell them that they had something mixed up on their end because I applied for the two year program. They gave me the funding and everything. How do you screw up so badly? Around here we call that getting "York'd". Get used to it all those who attend there. I've been here forever and it's a common occurrence.

Yesterday I received an acceptance to York... for the advanced standing program. I had to email them and tell them that they had something mixed up on their end because I applied for the two year program. They gave me the funding and everything. How do you screw up so badly? Around here we call that getting "York'd". Get used to it all those who attend there. I've been here forever and it's a common occurrence.

love it ahaha

@dexy77 I had a friend who went to York and she was telling me that a new administrative assistant in one of the admissions offices had made several mistakes similar to this, so I wonder if it was the social work department! While I find the term "York'd" absolutely fitting and humourous I hope things get straightened out for you. I have been in a similar position as you! Good luck!

Maybe I should clarify... they have started organizing the applications as in making a file for each applicant and gathering their info and making sure their application is complete and they have everything they need (transcripts, resume, CV, personal statement etc.) 

However, they did not start reading it yet ... thats what I was told. 

She also allowed me to email her an updated copy of my resume/CV yesterday because she said they didnt read them yet. If you want to submit an extra resume/CV with extra hours I would email Angela ASAP to do it ... they let me do it yesterday! 

I would hope that maybe she meant that the applications have been organized and the ones that were incomplete or did not meet the minimum department requirements have been eliminated and now it's a matter of scoring eligible applications. I was the individual who received this email from Angela:

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Angela Umbrello <angela.umbrello@utoronto.ca> wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the updated Resume – it will be added to your file.  This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April.  As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made.   By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out.   Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application.  We ask for your continued patience.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Administrative Coordinator, Admissions & Programs

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto

If they have not yet started reviewing eligible applications I can only hope that they have a large admissions committee with a standard scoring procedure that allows them to move quickly!   

How do you know we might not hear back until the last week of March? I called both the social work school itself and the graduate admissions office and all they could tell me is that we should hear soon, but said that they could not specify a timeframe. In previous years it seems that admissions offers went out early/mid March so I am hoping it is soon!! 

Thank you! I just got an email today. 

Last week of march? I only have 10 days to decide on York --- I would really like to hear from Ryerson too though 

My bad! I meant first week of March!  sdp732 where did you apply and have you heard from anywhere yet?

My bad! I meant first week of March!  sdp732 where did you apply and have you heard from anywhere yet?

Now I am nervous about Ryerson.... has anyone heard for the advanced standing?

Hi everyone!! 

Just found this forum and am so glad I did.  I want to start off by saying congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far!!

I have applied for the MSW 2-year, IFG thesis option at Laurier and am really starting to worry now after reading this thread.  I have not seen any posts about the thesis option and was wondering if anyone else has applied for this option.  I know only a couple people get accepted into this opition and am now worried that I will not get accepted. 

Does anyone know if Laurier will reject for the thesis option but accept for regular stream or should I have applied to both?

Really nervous now and still feels like I have to wait forever to hear back.

@mish2 I know of a previous applicant who applied for WLU's MSW program and completed the thesis option. I do not recall if they were a 1 or 2 Year applicant, if you want to message me I can forward you the information they sent me regarding some questions I had as well as their posting "name" on this forum so you can try and contact them. Hope this helps :)

I only applied to Ryerson which makes me nervous! I started the application process rather late because I was actually planning on going back to school in 2016, but the government hiring freeze in Alberta impacted my employment options (the freeze started right when my temp contract ended and I was supposed to transfer to a position in another area..). Ryerson is my top choice, but if I don't get in this year I am going to apply to Ryerson, Carleton and Laurier next year as I will be more prepared for the application process. 

I am baffled by York sometimes, they really outdo themselves, I hope they clarify this for you asap that is ridiculous.

on an unrelated topic, I don't understand this UofT business. Last year I was told by admissions they only consider your experience up to the deadline date (December) and now people are submitting updated resumes with another few months of experience.. not very fair to only give some applicants the upper hand. If they allow this then they should have that as common knowledge on the website. 

Also, I am inclined to agree with blh22 that something about these files just being created is getting lost in translation. I find it hard to believe that they are just now beginning with sorting, it would be a lot of work for them to do in the middle of final exams and assignments, most of the committee is probably teaching and busy enough as it is. To finish that amount of work in only a few weeks would require around the clock deliberations. I am tempted to call Angela to clarify but I feel like she is way too busy herself to give anything aside from her generic response. Hopefully this all gets cleared up quickly

I wonder how many people go on the waitlist at University of Toronto. I just received my letter that I am on the waitlist. Doesnt really matter to me because I wasnt planning on going anyway(accepted an offer with a better aligned stream choice) but just curious to know how many people get on the waitlist. ! 

For advanced standing

Edited by Prairiegirl2015

I wonder how many people go on the waitlist at University of Toronto. I just received my letter that I am on the waitlist. Doesnt really matter to me because I wasnt planning on going anyway(accepted an offer with a better aligned stream choice) but just curious to know how many people get on the waitlist. ! 

For advanced standing

Yeah, I am curious as well. I asked Angela today but she said that is not something she can disclose.  I'm hoping its not too big of a waitlist....

I really think everyone should stop contacting Angela and freaking out over this.  The website very clearly states that you will hear by mid-April.  If you hear before then, great, but you are not guaranteed to.  It is only March 11.  I am truly surprised by how many people think they should be hearing now when it is clearly stated you will hear by mid-April.  I think Angela is likely going to start getting quite irritated by people constantly contacting her for information.

I really think everyone should stop contacting Angela and freaking out over this.  The website very clearly states that you will hear by mid-April.  If you hear before then, great, but you are not guaranteed to.  It is only March 11.  I am truly surprised by how many people think they should be hearing now when it is clearly stated you will hear by mid-April.  I think Angela is likely going to start getting quite irritated by people constantly contacting her for information.

I do agree that we should stop contacting Angela if it is only regarding admission related questions. However, I do not think people are "freaking out" so much as they are feeling anxious and eager - myself included :) Please remember you were also once in the same position as us and people handle this kind of stress very differently especially if they have other circumstances not related to the situation to deal with. Let's continue to keep this a supportive space!

U of T usually has about half number of the accepted applicants on the waitlist, for example, if they offer 100 spots for advanced standing MSW, they reserve 50 on the waitlist.....

York always has 20 students on the waitlist for advance standing MSW, and 10 for the two year program.  from what I heard.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by YWEANG

U of T usually has about half number of the accepted applicants on the waitlist, for example, if they offer 100 spots for advanced standing MSW, they reserve 50 on the waitlist.....

York always has 20 students on the waitlist for advance standing MSW, and 10 for the two year program.  from what I heard.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the information regarding the UofT waitlist. Can I ask your source of this information? I understand that you may be a current UofT student, or perhaps be in connection with current/past students, but are you applying information you have received from another program, or do you have reason to believe that this applies to the MSW program as well? I believe that Angela has never disclosed this herself, so I am just curious as to where it is coming from. Thanks.

I do agree that we should stop contacting Angela if it is only regarding admission related questions. However, I do not think people are "freaking out" so much as they are feeling anxious and eager - myself included :) Please remember you were also once in the same position as us and people handle this kind of stress very differently especially if they have other circumstances not related to the situation to deal with. Let's continue to keep this a supportive space!

I agree. You're in a very different place than us, already knowing you've been accepted. Personally for me, this wait is excruciating as I am living abroad and will need to leave the country in June, but at this point I have no idea where in the world I will be going. I can't book flights yet or anything. Even if I hear back a week early, that's still an extra week to make a decision on where I am going, make travel arrangements, look for apartments, and apply for jobs (although hopefully this won't be necessary!)

I agree. You're in a very different place than us, already knowing you've been accepted. Personally for me, this wait is excruciating as I am living abroad and will need to leave the country in June, but at this point I have no idea where in the world I will be going. I can't book flights yet or anything. Even if I hear back a week early, that's still an extra week to make a decision on where I am going, make travel arrangements, look for apartments, and apply for jobs (although hopefully this won't be necessary!)

That must be really tough Bettyg, I can't even imagine having all that added stress/pressure on top of this process. I hope you start getting some responses soon. 

All of this varying information from UofT is making my head spin I hate feeling like I have no control over my life :( 

Job searching only makes me yearn for my MSW even more, getting jobs in the field with a BA is a serious wake up call...

I hope everyone is taking good care of themselves, in an effort to cheer myself up I remind myself only 14 more business days until April! 

So they assume 50% will turn down offers interesting !

I think they never want to be in the position of having to reverse a rejection to an acceptance - that would look very unprofessional and unorganized -and they wouldn't want to have spots unfilled. So they put far more people than they'll ever need on the waitlist to ensure that this will not happen.

I think they never want to be in the position of having to reverse a rejection to an acceptance - that would look very unprofessional and unorganized -and they wouldn't want to have spots unfilled. So they put far more people than they'll ever need on the waitlist to ensure that this will not happen.

Three out of four of my classmates  got into the program from waitlist.... but that was in 2010. i don't know this year tho....