Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Seconded! My friend, who is currently in the program, said that the admin person at York has been away sick, but is back in the office today, so chances are good that if people are going to get a reply at all, it will come in the next few days.

I know some people have received emails that they have gotten in or been waitlisted, so it would be awesome to know where that leaves the rest of us. I know last year, people received acceptances and wait list statuses at the very end of March, and then I had emailed York a few days later asking about the status of admissions, never got a response of any kind, and then my myfile changed to "Decision made- unsuccessful" almost a month later. So if anyone has heard anything, that would be great. 

I haven't gotten in touch with them this year, but if I haven't heard anything by the first week of April I figure I will send off an email.

Thanks for the reliable source of info! I guess it's just not wise that I applied to a thesis program without a perfectly-matched academic background. Haven't got any reply so far, and the status says no decision yet. Ahhhh I'll take it as a "no" to skip that month-long wait, when I may possibly struggle with hope and frustration...

hey guys,

So I just followed what you said and found the ROSI webpage. What is the student number I should input as first time user? My applicant number didn't work out. Is it a sign that I'm not invited?

Edited by Sherrykeepsmiling

hey guys,

So I just followed what you said and found the ROSI webpage. What is the student number I should input as first time user? My applicant number didn't work out. Is it a sign that I'm not invited?

You can find the student number on the SGS page under "application summary" --> "Reported Student Number", your applicant number is not the same as the student number, it is not a sign you didn't get in :) all the best!

You can find the student number on the SGS page under "application summary" --> "Reported Student Number", your applicant number is not the same as the student number, it is not a sign you didn't get in :) all the best!

Thanks a lot! I didn't even notice the line this time passing. Each time I just checked the status but never referred back to my application summary. 

I saw you've gotten in, congrats! And all the best in the coming academic year!

I just want to add my two cents in regarding plan B options although it may stir the pot a little. Personally, I'm surprised that there are programs that don't require substantial, paid, work experience to get into the msw program if you are planning to work frontline. That being said, if I had had the opportunity to apply right out of my undergrad I would have happily done so. I am SO glad that I didn't because my work and personal experience over the past few years have dramatically changed the path of how I plan to apply myself to the program. I know the common complaint is that inability to find a job with a bsw/ba but there are lots of jobs you just have to be willing to move. I know this isn't possible for some due to a variety of issues but a lot of the barriers can be overcome. I find the mentality in southern Ontario around this is very different from the rest of the country. I know very few people who were able to remain in the same place without ever having to take a job outside of their home community. I can guarantee you that there are many places who would jump to hire any of you.. but usually this requires moving for contract positions. There are rural group homes for children who fly people in and out for contracts.. go anywhere in Alberta and you can get hired with a degree into the health and child protection systems. Go to Nunavut, the NWT, the Yukon.. go to northern Ontario.. and no Barrie is not northern haha! Doing things like this demonstrates so much to admission committees... especially in the social work field. You may not be interested in rural social work but it's not really about that.. it's about gaining the skills the comes along with taking a chance like that and stepping out of your comfort zone. Maybe instead of moving, you set up your own little consulting business and run summer social skills groups for kids with aspergers, become a foster parent for teens, babysit two special needs children on an ongoing basis, become a respite provider (this in itself you could start a business off of in almsot any rural community), go teach english overseas (I saw someone posting about this and I believe it has lots of transferable skills and demonstrates a lot about you as a person). The skills are completely transferable to an urban setting. There really are so many options out there, it just depends how badly you actually want it... get out of your comfort zone and get creative :)! It will make you stand out on your application by leaps and bounds. Personally I don't think that volunteering or going on to add more education, in of themselves, will add a whole lot to an application. If you're unable to put your creative/strategic/problemsolving thinking cap on to give your own life a boost in the direction you desire, it'll likely be difficult to effect change in your clients lives. I hope this post doesn't come across badly, it was just making me sad seeing people talk about giving up on their dreams and I truly believe where there is a will there is a way :).

zebra_mountain, I understand where you are coming from, and I agree there are many amazing opportunities across the country but many of us are caregivers or have children and moving is simply not an option. I found volunteer work in the GTA to be extremely valuable and fulfilling, I had the opportunity to work with many amazing social workers and take part in many of the same daily activities that regular staff do. 

I think volunteer work is an amazing skill builder for people who either can't find relevant paid work in their area or can't move. I know for myself that I would never be able to follow my dreams if substantial paid work was a requirement because I am unable to find it in the GTA and I am a caregiver which means I cannot leave and move. I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to become a social worker even though I don't have a lot of paid work experience but I don't think that discounts all of my non-paid volunteer work or maybe not directly related paid work. I don't see that making me "less of" a future social worker I am sure that there will be opportunities to build those skills in co-ops during school and jobs post graduation. 

There are two LORIS sites.  One for students and one for applicants that allows you to look at your references and change your information online.  Maybe you are trying to log into the wrong site.  The following is the one we are supposed to use:

https://telaris.wlu.ca/ssb_prod/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

When I received my confirmation email from Laurier stating that they received my application, it stated that decisions would be emailed.

Hope that helps.

Where did you find your application status? I didn't find anything in my Loris webiste

Where did you find your application status? I didn't find anything in my Loris webiste

I thought I remembered that in past years, the link that currently opens to your references changes to something else about a decision being made or registration or something, but a quick search of past threads isn't bringing anything up - does anyone know what changes? Maybe someone who was accepted to the Advanced Standing program could check theirs and tell us what it says now?

I thought I remembered that in past years, the link that currently opens to your references changes to something else about a decision being made or registration or something, but a quick search of past threads isn't bringing anything up - does anyone know what changes? Maybe someone who was accepted to the Advanced Standing program could check theirs and tell us what it says now?

Laurier does not do any admissions updates online, they will send a letter or email.

U of T updates ROSI to "Invited" if you have been accepted, also you can verify with the SGS website in which case your status "Under Review" will have changed to "Decision Made" and you will received a package in the mail a few days later. Please note SGS is not always consistent in terms of timing with these updates but does occur after your ROSI account has been updated. 

Otherwise, your ROSI will say "No Registration History" if you have been wait listed or rejected. HOWEVER, as of right now U of T seems to be doing rolling admissions in which case only applicants who have been accepted have had their ROSI statuses changed to "Invited" and received a package in the mail. Therefore if your ROSI currently says "No Registration History" it does not necessarily mean you have been wait listed or rejected yet since not all offers have been sent out. You will know if you have been wait listed or rejected once you receive a letter in the mail and if your SGS account has changed from "Under Review" to "Decision Made" with your ROSI status as "No Registration."

It is still relatively early for all admissions decisions to be made, both Laurier and U of T have indicated all final decisions will be made from Mid-March to Mid-April.

I just want to add my two cents in regarding plan B options although it may stir the pot a little. Personally, I'm surprised that there are programs that don't require substantial, paid, work experience to get into the msw program if you are planning to work frontline. That being said, if I had had the opportunity to apply right out of my undergrad I would have happily done so. I am SO glad that I didn't because my work and personal experience over the past few years have dramatically changed the path of how I plan to apply myself to the program. I know the common complaint is that inability to find a job with a bsw/ba but there are lots of jobs you just have to be willing to move. I know this isn't possible for some due to a variety of issues but a lot of the barriers can be overcome. I find the mentality in southern Ontario around this is very different from the rest of the country. I know very few people who were able to remain in the same place without ever having to take a job outside of their home community. I can guarantee you that there are many places who would jump to hire any of you.. but usually this requires moving for contract positions. There are rural group homes for children who fly people in and out for contracts.. go anywhere in Alberta and you can get hired with a degree into the health and child protection systems. Go to Nunavut, the NWT, the Yukon.. go to northern Ontario.. and no Barrie is not northern haha! Doing things like this demonstrates so much to admission committees... especially in the social work field. You may not be interested in rural social work but it's not really about that.. it's about gaining the skills the comes along with taking a chance like that and stepping out of your comfort zone. Maybe instead of moving, you set up your own little consulting business and run summer social skills groups for kids with aspergers, become a foster parent for teens, babysit two special needs children on an ongoing basis, become a respite provider (this in itself you could start a business off of in almsot any rural community), go teach english overseas (I saw someone posting about this and I believe it has lots of transferable skills and demonstrates a lot about you as a person). The skills are completely transferable to an urban setting. There really are so many options out there, it just depends how badly you actually want it... get out of your comfort zone and get creative :)! It will make you stand out on your application by leaps and bounds. Personally I don't think that volunteering or going on to add more education, in of themselves, will add a whole lot to an application. If you're unable to put your creative/strategic/problemsolving thinking cap on to give your own life a boost in the direction you desire, it'll likely be difficult to effect change in your clients lives. I hope this post doesn't come across badly, it was just making me sad seeing people talk about giving up on their dreams and I truly believe where there is a will there is a way :).

I agree almost entirely. The GTA is one of the most competitive areas in the country to get a social work job right now, so if you have any flexibility at all I would recommend moving. I also think it's important to note that it is still difficult to enter the job market in the GTA/southern Ontario with an MSW. I met people in rural Alberta who were graduates of Ontario MSW programs and simply could not find work in southern Ontario. You certainly have a better chance of getting a job than with a BSW, but it is still difficult.

That being said, despite being flexible I have still found getting a permanent position difficult. I worked a temporary contract in northern Alberta but I quickly learned that child protection wasn't for me, and I did not renew my contract when my six month contract ended.  The drop in the price of oil has really decreased opportunity in Alberta. The government now has a hiring freeze and I was unemployed for three months before I decided to move back to Ontario. I got a few phone calls right when I was leaving... but at that point my partner had accepted a job in Toronto. Surprisingly it seems somewhat difficult to get a job in NWT and Yukon. I applied for a few and never got a call, and where I lived was only an eight hour drive from NWT. I worked with a few people who had been in Alberta for a few years but wanted to be in either Yellowknife or Whitehorse (they had family there), and they told me that it can be difficult to find employment in NWT/Yukon unless you go to the most remote communities. Also, as much as I think taking the risk to build your career is a very important move, it's also very difficult to be so far away from any family and friends. 

Ultimately, I think I am taking a risk to get my MSW with only six months post-BSW experience. But I am also open to moving again afterward. That being said, I hope I will be able to land a job in southern Ontario, Halifax or Calgary... ah! 

There's definitely a lot of information in this post that I agree with, but I think just to clarify: not being able to move somewhere like rural Alberta to start a respite care business does not mean that those of us who can't do it don't "want it badly enough". Frankly, the cost of moving and cost of living somewhere rural (especially if you head up far north!) would be highly prohibitive for me, whereas if I stay in school I can (hopefully) live at home or in cheap student accommodations and continue to receive government loans plus the CPP I only get if I'm a student. Tuition is expensive, yes, but taking on OSAP is still better imho than a line of credit to do work somewhere I don't want to be in a field I ultimately don't want to end up in (and will probably make less doing than working at a restaurant + tips).

I think, for me personally, taking more courses would actually be a big boost to my application because I'm currently in history and want to show that my skills are transferable to sociology / psychology / anthropology / other "related" fields (and getting to take an online intro to social work course would be awesome!). Plus, my grades are alright but I'm not anything amazing, if I could supplement these grades with some better ones that would help for schools like U of T where academics / research seem to be a focus.

Also, I think I would (personally) rather work somewhere unrelated for a year (I'll probably end up at the restaurant my cousin works at, hopefully supplementing with march break camps / closer related things on a short term basis) and volunteering somewhere that IS related to my interests (a non-profit with a focus on domestic violence survivors or a shelter that works with LGBTQ youth, for example) than working a job in a place I don't want to be far away from my support system (who I am already struggling being ~3 hours away from) doing something that ultimately I don't want to be doing.

Not trying to discount what you said - you presented a lot of awesome ideas and I think if I don't get in anywhere you've given me stuff to think about in terms of creative ways to find work experience with no related degree - but just to give another perspective of at least where I'm coming from with my "plan b" (which would really end up being more of a plan "f" based on how many schools I applied to) being unrelated work w/ related volunteer experience & academic work.

My ideas were just random ideas off the top of my head, there are lots more and there will be things that are more suited to each individual person. I don't think the moving to start a respite business is for everyone on this forum haha. It can still be difficult to get a job in these areas but it is possible. The idea for respite is because I knew someone who did it. They moved from Ontario with their spouse and unable to find work she provided respite to special needs children (there is a lot of fas in these regions so the need is high). I also stated that there were circumstances where options like moving aren't possible. I also never said that by not moving you are not showing the admissions committee how bad you want it. There are always going to be circumstances where it's just not in the best interest for you.. but the majority of people who are just graduating from their undergrad tend to be in their early 20's with few things tying them down (again, not everyone) and have the ability to take some risks in life if they are getting what they want out of their life (ie: can't get a job). There is nothing wrong with volunteer experience, we all know it's a good thing. I just don't believe that if you weren't accepted one year and all you did was add to your volunteer hours, that doesn't do a lot to set you apart from everyone else who is also reapplying. Moral of the story: it's not about moving somewhere specific, or doing something specific. It's about getting creative with what is available to you in your own circumstances and working calculated risk into your life, to get the life you want. 

Rural living definitely isn't for everyone. But if you are interested, don't let the cost totally deter you. Often agencies will pay for at least some of your relocation costs (mine was free). But the cost of leaving when you decide to move elsewhere is expensive. There are usually living allowances and housing allowances depending on where you go. Usually you have to stay at least a year or two to really benefit from these (some places will have you sign contracts for a certain period of time and financially compensate you for doing so). I was making $35 an hour so I had more than enough to live on, but for a lot of people the compensation isn't worth it. 

Ultimately I found it too difficult and decided to come back. But even just six months of being there put me in a way better situation than when I left.  If I could have found a job in mental health and addictions I would have stayed, but protection is not for me. Hating your job and where you live is not an ideal situation. 

Edited by sdp732

Does anyone know if rejection letters for the University of Toronto 2 year MSW program have gone out? Or was it only acceptances last week? my soul is SHRIVELING.

MY ROSI JUST UODATED. Omg I literally can't breathe right now

CONGRATS!! That's wonderful news! You must be thrilled. Mine still has those 3 soul crushing red words. I'm terrified to check SGS and see Decision Made! Anyone else having heart failure?

MY ROSI JUST UODATED. Omg I literally can't breathe right now

Congrats!

Mine also has no updates I think I will take that as a sign of rejection 

katkatkat you have perfectly summarized my feels. 

they are literally 3 soul crushing words I am going to try to bring my breathing back to normal pace now

Edited by b39