Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hey. Yeah I happened to ask if they were still accepting revised resumes and other items. I sent it in via email March 26 so she got back to me pretty quickly.  If you're concerned about the transcript I would email and ask. If you mailed it, it should most likely be there by now. For me anyway, she's always responded to let me know when she received something - but that was by email .   :)

Cool, I sent Angela a quick email just to check in. I know for sure it was delivered because I had it sent by courier so I know it got there and was signed for. I assume they're just crazy busy, so I'm not expecting a fast response, but figured it couldn't hurt just to check in.

Thanks for the info. :)

Slightly off topic because post-degree BSW but I know a few of us here have applied:

I emailed St. Thomas just to inquire about a timeline for admissions decisions as they said in my phone interview we would hopefully hear by the "end of March". I emailed Becky the Administrative Coordinator because she's who I had been in contact with about other things (interviews).

"Admissions will be processing the letters to applicants very shortly. I would guess that letters will go out in the mail by the end of the week. Once they are processed in their system, you can check on the connect website, or you can always check with Admissions to see if they will give you an answer."

So it sounds like we'll hear from St. Thomas hopefully by the end of the week!!!

Hi Everyone! I have been creeping this forum for a while and now want to give some hope to waitlist people! I applied to York U 1 year Advance Standing MSW program. On March 10th I was sent an e-mail telling me I was waitlisted and about two hours ago I received my acceptance and I am off the waitlist!!!

ACE2015 - Congrats!  It's nice to hear some people do make it off the wait list.  I am still on the wait list for Laurier and I don't have much hope I will get off of it.  But stories like yours are encouraging. :)

Hi Everyone! I have been creeping this forum for a while and now want to give some hope to waitlist people! I applied to York U 1 year Advance Standing MSW program. On March 10th I was sent an e-mail telling me I was waitlisted and about two hours ago I received my acceptance and I am off the waitlist!!!

Congratulations!! That is amazing :)

Just checked my file for york - "reviewed-unsuccessful". No real surprise, but thought I'd let you all know. 

I also checked yesterday afternoon and it said "no decision yet", so my status would have changed sometime between then and now.

Edited by beareisland

Question for those who got into U of T:

Did any of you get in with a mark in research methods that is on the lower end? I got a B- in my research methods class and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to re-take it. By December I'll have around 3000 hours of experience (1 - working as an addiction counsellor 2- research to change programs for rcmp officers mental health 3- research on retention strategies for the mental health and addiction centre i work for 4-working at the courthouse for women who come in contact with the law and need assistance finding community resources) and my 3000-4000 level courses puts me at about a B+ average.

I am just wondering if my low research methods course will be my achilles heel.

I didn't apply anywhere this year but I could re-take the research methods course at Carleton this summer. I just don't want to waste my time or money if I don't have to. I also plan on applying to York and Laurier.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Did any of you get in with a mark in research methods that is on the lower end? I got a B- in my research methods class and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to re-take it. By December I'll have around 3000 hours of experience (1 - working as an addiction counsellor 2- research to change programs for rcmp officers mental health 3- research on retention strategies for the mental health and addiction centre i work for 4-working at the courthouse for women who come in contact with the law and need assistance finding community resources) and my 3000-4000 level courses puts me at about a B+ average.

I didn't apply anywhere this year but I could re-take the research methods course at Carleton this summer. I just don't want to waste my time or money if I don't have to. I also plan on applying to York and Laurier.

If you have the time/funds to re-take the research course, I personally would. Especially considering UofT's research focus, I think a higher mark may give you that edge on other applications with similar experience. However, your experience sounds great!

I would definitely take another research course. At the info session I went to, Angela said she recommends that anyone with a mid-B in research methods retake it because it's a huge disadvantage regardless of other experience (and I imagine having below mid-B would be even worse). Your other research experience may supplement it to an extent, but I remember someone raised their hand and said they got a B in statistics but had lots of experience with research projects and as an RA, and Angela said "It's up to you, but I really recommend that the research grade be in A range because that's one of our main criteria as a research oriented program". She said many students boost their mark through Athabasca very successfully every year!

My York file just updated today as well. Sometime this afternoon as I checked this morning as well.

Just checked my file for york - "reviewed-unsuccessful". No real surprise, but thought I'd let you all know. 

I also checked yesterday afternoon and it said "no decision yet", so my status would have changed sometime between then and now.

Hey hey! I just got an OGS award from Laurier. I applied for the 2 years MSW track. Not sure if this means I'm in, but it feels great to get an award (even if I don't use it).

When did you apply for it?

Hey hey! I just got an OGS award from Laurier. I applied for the 2 years MSW track. Not sure if this means I'm in, but it feels great to get an award (even if I don't use it).

That's amazing!! Congrats! I don't see why they would give you an award if they didn't accept you... but I don't know anything about the OGS. Still, great accomplishment.

That's amazing!! Congrats! I don't see why they would give you an award if they didn't accept you... but I don't know anything about the OGS. Still, great accomplishment.

yeah, i'm not sure either. Guess we will see. 

Does anyone know if a stats course will count as a research methods course at U of T or in general ???

I got a B+ in a 2nd year research methods class and an A in a 3rd year stats class. 

Would they look at my stats mark or my research methods mark ?? Thanks so much for anyone who can answer this! 

Does anyone know if a stats course will count as a research methods course at U of T or in general ???

I got a B+ in a 2nd year research methods class and an A in a 3rd year stats class. 

Would they look at my stats mark or my research methods mark ?? Thanks so much for anyone who can answer this! 

Stats totally count, A for you glen coco :)

It has no bearing on whether you get in (though when I got CGS last year, the very first thing my profs told me was that I should inform the department. It didn't change anything, but there's no harm in it). Admissions decisions are made by the social work department while awards decisions are made by the graduate awards offices, and they don't talk to each other. You should inform the social work department at Laurier that you got OGS, especially while you know they are still working on decisions.

Congrats! Getting a major award like OGS, whether you wind up being able to use it or not, is a huge accomplishment! You should feel super proud =D

It is 1:00am here and every night I lay awake thinking about getting into my dream school @ U of T. Please say, I am not the only one? It's April 1st now and there is only 15 days between us and the deadline for when U of T sends out letters of admission/rejection/waitlist !

I am always too excited, which could be bad or good!  :unsure:

Edited by ShayRonee93

http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ACCEPTABLE-RESEARCH-COURSES-NOV-3-2014.pdf