Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Just in case anyone was still wondering about the "invite" status or when letters of acceptances were mailed based on people who received "invite" statuses to U of T yesterday:

Hello,

Congratulations!  An invite status means you have been accepted into the program.  Offer packages were sent out yesterday afternoon.

More details will be in the package.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Administrative Coordinator, Admissions & Programs

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto

Laurier had their placement fair already?  Wow, that is really early.  At this point I am assuming that I will be going to UofT for the upcoming year.  UofT is an amazing school, but Laurier was my top choice for a number of reasons.

Yeah they had it on Monday, I believe the portal closes on the 10th. I think if Laurier is still your #1 it doesn't hurt to talk to some organizations to let them know what predicament you are in (being on the waitlist). There are a number of individuals who are accepted throughout April and May so it doesn't hurt to try to get a placement through UofT in the KW area and then if needed ask them to switch over to Laurier. I've heard of this happening before in certain circumstances.

Just in case anyone was still wondering about the "invite" status or when letters of acceptances were mailed based on people who received "invite" statuses to U of T yesterday:

Hello,

Congratulations!  An invite status means you have been accepted into the program.  Offer packages were sent out yesterday afternoon.

More details will be in the package.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Administrative Coordinator, Admissions & Programs

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto

Thank you for checking in and letting us know! 

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on all the acceptances! For those who haven't heard yet, don't give up hope yet!!

I have a question UofT vs. Laurier.. I was accepted into UofT a few weeks ago and I immediately chose that one bc that program was #1 in my mind. I also didn't think I would ever be accepted at Laurier due to the number of hours of experience they generally require. However, I found out this morning that I did get into Laurier!  

What does everyone think about the two schools, comparing them to each other? - reputation, training, program courses, placements,

The only comparison I've ever heard is - Laurier has better training while Toronto has better placements.. do you think this is true? do you have other comparisons?

Thanks for your help!

I think both schools have good training and good placements if you have a clear understanding of what you want to get out of your placement. I'm at Laurier now, I love my placement and have had a good experience with the classroom material. While I didn't do the 2 year program I've heard that the first year is quite heavy in terms of reflexivity and theoretical implications. As you move into your second year this becomes more focus on what direct practice skills you want to learn. I have friends at UoftT who have said it is similiar but more focused in terms of one direct area ie) Children vs. Mental Health vs. Gerontology. I can't really speak to it myself, it is just what I have heard.

I chose Laurier because I wanted to be able to explore the areas. I don't have one area that I am devoted to or one area that I really want to end up so I appeciated the opportunity to take classes that are preparing me to go into a multitude of fields.

I think in the end it really comes down to what networks you want to build, what skills you hope to gain, and the atmosphere that you want to be in . If you have any q's about course material or placement opportunities at Laurier I'd be happy to provide some insight :)

I think both schools have good training and good placements if you have a clear understanding of what you want to get out of your placement. I'm at Laurier now, I love my placement and have had a good experience with the classroom material. While I didn't do the 2 year program I've heard that the first year is quite heavy in terms of reflexivity and theoretical implications. As you move into your second year this becomes more focus on what direct practice skills you want to learn. I have friends at UoftT who have said it is similiar but more focused in terms of one direct area ie) Children vs. Mental Health vs. Gerontology. I can't really speak to it myself, it is just what I have heard.

I chose Laurier because I wanted to be able to explore the areas. I don't have one area that I am devoted to or one area that I really want to end up so I appeciated the opportunity to take classes that are preparing me to go into a multitude of fields.

I think in the end it really comes down to what networks you want to build, what skills you hope to gain, and the atmosphere that you want to be in . If you have any q's about course material or placement opportunities at Laurier I'd be happy to provide some insight :)

I would actually love to hear more about the program at Laurier if you don't mind. I know more about the U of t program but I don't know anyone who went to Laurier! I went back and forth between Laurier and u of t being my top choice quite a lot these past months.

I second this! I would also love to know more! Maybe we can have a message thread? 

I would actually love to hear more about the program at Laurier if you don't mind. I know more about the U of t program but I don't know anyone who went to Laurier! I went back and forth between Laurier and u of t being my top choice quite a lot these past months.

I was accepted to Laurier yesterday at 2:30!!! Congrats everyone who got in!!! I can't wait to meet future classmates! Can we also have a Facebook group?! :) Anyone interested in making one? 

Edit: just checked my emails and it was at 2:10

Congratulations!!!!! :)

Hey! I was accepted into WLU 2-year MSW yesterday. A question for those of you accepted: when I go into Loris, the acceptance page makes a couple references to "the funding package listed above" etc, but then doesn't specify any funding offered. Is this just a general sentence that everyone got, regardless of being offered funding?

Thanks/congratulations/good luck to everyone still waiting!

I got the same sentence. Does anyone know anything about the amount of funding Laurier typically offers?

This is good news for both of us! Congrats on being accepted into all those programs! Do you know which one you'll choose?

I'm still waffling a bit. I don't think Laurier gives funding and Carleton offered such amazing funding (scholarships, TA position). With Laurier I would still be close to my family and my dad is quite sick so I'm leaning that way. I will decide in the next day or two.

Thank you!! I feel like I keep going back and forth with hope! I do hope I at least get waitlisted. I got rejected last year and it was not a nice feeling, but definitely did better with grades and experience this year and spent a lot more time on my statements so I think this year if I'm rejected its going to be much more of a bummer! It's so nice to see how supportive everyone is. Congrats on your offer btw!

Good luck ! I hope you hear good news! I know what it feels like to get rejected/waitlisted and not get off. It happened last year to me. It sounds like you've worked hard. FINGERS CROSSED :)

Hey Guys!

Congrats again to those of you who have been accepted and fingers crossed for those of us still waiting!

I applied to the 2 year MSW programs at both York and U of T and haven't heard anything yet from either. My York myfile still says No Decision Yet and my ROSI still says No Registration History. I'm trying really hard to remain positive but at this point I'm pretty much just hoping to be wait listed for at least one of the program's so that I can at least say "I was close".

I just want to say that I am so happy I found this forum, because I truly thought my chances were about 50/50 after reading the admissions criteria while applying, however after reading this forum I now realize just how competitive it is and that my level of experience (the one place on my application that I feel was really lacking) is simply not enough to cut it. Maybe next year! Although there might not be a next year for me, as my "plan b" is a very different path (remaining in the financial industry where I am currently employed). However, now that I have an idea of what I was competing against for a spot, I won't be as surprised or upset if I am ultimately rejected from both programs.

In any event I want to thank you all for your posts, encouragement and information over the past few months! These universities are getting some truly amazing future social workers!

For those on the Lakehead waiting lists - got my official offer of acceptance today and I have until the 24th of April to accept it. It says if I don't accept, my spot will be allocated to candidates from the "active applicant pool" (waitlist) on April 30th! So, still a bit of time but it seems like a firm date for you guys to wait for!

Best of luck!!

(Also, if anyone did the 1 year HBSW at Lakehead, either campus but preferably Tbay, and wants to talk to me about the program, please shoot me a message! Would love to hear all about it.)

Hi there!

I have been lurking this forum for quite a while now, and this is my first time posting.

I haven't been accepted to any schools yet, and I am starting to get a little discouraged. I applied to UofT last year, and was wait listed, and I still haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know if it is it possible to be wait listed two years in a row? 

I also applied to Lakehead, and got rejected for Orillia's program, and waitlisted for Thunder Bay's program. I also got wait listed for York. I have yet to hear from Laurier.

If I were to be rejected/wait listed for all of these programs, do you think it is worth re-applying next year? It's just a little discouraging after applying to so many programs. 

I know it is too soon to lose all hope! I still have yet to hear from Laurier and UofT, and a wait lists that could turn into acceptances. It just can all be a little discouraging at times. Please let me know if you have any insight! 

I know this post was a few pages ago, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. I think if you know that social work is the profession you're committed to pursuing, it's absolutely worth it to continue improving your credentials and try again next year. Rejection the first time around can give you some time and space to consider what it is you want and how much you're willing to put in to get there.

Last year was my first year applying to Lakehead (I have a 3-year BA in social sciences, so this was the only program that made sense for me) and I was conversing with some one who applied three times to Lakehead before being admitted. I don't think that makes her any less suited to the profession than some one who got in on their first try, although putting your life on hold for another year is daunting.

Personally, this was my second year applying and I got in without any issues this time around. I can't speak to the weight that applying twice to a program holds, but if you look at the next year as an opportunity to explore the field and improve your candidacy, it would definitely improve your chances! After being waitlisted last year, I moved up to Thunder Bay to invest in the community a little and started volunteering with Children's Aid Society and the shelters here. Not counting the resume building that I did, the networking alone probably would have been enough. Everyone knows everyone here, and after meeting with the social work admissions ladies, I couldn't go far without bumping into them.

I'm not saying that moving to Thunder Bay is the solution, but if you want to get into the program, you probably will - and your determination and commitment to the profession will shine through on your future applications. Plus, understanding the application process and what they're looking for/the questions they're asking will probably give you a huge leg up, too! If you get in touch with admissions and inquire where your weaknesses were on your application(s), I'm positive they would be happy to give you some constructive feedback.

On a completely separate note - does anyone know if there has been a facebook group created for the HBSW Orillia campus yet? I'm a little worried about finding accomodation!

I know this post was a few pages ago, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. I think if you know that social work is the profession you're committed to pursuing, it's absolutely worth it to continue improving your credentials and try again next year. Rejection the first time around can give you some time and space to consider what it is you want and how much you're willing to put in to get there.

Last year was my first year applying to Lakehead (I have a 3-year BA in social sciences, so this was the only program that made sense for me) and I was conversing with some one who applied three times to Lakehead before being admitted. I don't think that makes her any less suited to the profession than some one who got in on their first try, although putting your life on hold for another year is daunting.

Personally, this was my second year applying and I got in without any issues this time around. I can't speak to the weight that applying twice to a program holds, but if you look at the next year as an opportunity to explore the field and improve your candidacy, it would definitely improve your chances! After being waitlisted last year, I moved up to Thunder Bay to invest in the community a little and started volunteering with Children's Aid Society and the shelters here. Not counting the resume building that I did, the networking alone probably would have been enough. Everyone knows everyone here, and after meeting with the social work admissions ladies, I couldn't go far without bumping into them.

I'm not saying that moving to Thunder Bay is the solution, but if you want to get into the program, you probably will - and your determination and commitment to the profession will shine through on your future applications. Plus, understanding the application process and what they're looking for/the questions they're asking will probably give you a huge leg up, too! If you get in touch with admissions and inquire where your weaknesses were on your application(s), I'm positive they would be happy to give you some constructive feedback.

On a completely separate note - does anyone know if there has been a facebook group created for the HBSW Orillia campus yet? I'm a little worried about finding accomodation!

I think we should create a group that'd be good! My brother lives in Innisfill so I will be moving in with him for a bit. Thankfully, I hear the campus isn't too expensive for living accomodations though hopefully that was true!

Hello, I am posting here for the first time this year. I am just wondering if anyone knows deeply about Pros and Cons of Mcgill qualifying year program vs. U of T 2 years program?? Currently, I am gearing toward going into U of T, but just can't be decisive in the movement. I just thought some pros on top of my head, if anyone knows other crucial pros and cons, let me know! Thank you so much :)

Mcgill: cheaper tuition/living allowance, really small size of class (35), slightly higher prestige of the school, 

U of T: a variety of placement opportunities (due to the language), the social aspect (friends, entertainment), its future prospect

Hi horizonmind, 

I don't really know anything McGill's QY, but I'm currently finish my undergrad at McGill. So if you have any general questions about McGill or Montreal, feel free to PM me :) 

Hello, I am posting here for the first time this year. I am just wondering if anyone knows deeply about Pros and Cons of Mcgill qualifying year program vs. U of T 2 years program?? Currently, I am gearing toward going into U of T, but just can't be decisive in the movement. I just thought some pros on top of my head, if anyone knows other crucial pros and cons, let me know! Thank you so much :)

Mcgill: cheaper tuition/living allowance, really small size of class (35), slightly higher prestige of the school, 

U of T: a variety of placement opportunities (due to the language), the social aspect (friends, entertainment), its future prospect

Just to let everyone know, a professor told me once that on average, an individual applies to 6 masters programs before getting an acceptance. So please everyone, try not to get discouraged! It is a very long and drawn out process that can take time! Keep applying!!! You are bound to get in somewhere at some point! 

I would definitely be interested in starting a facebook group (I cant' seem to find one as of now). I'm also a little worried about accommodations!  

Ahhhh I don't know, I'm just still so excited! I can't stop dancing everywhere, haha. Um... as of right now I accepted Laurier and I'm going to Laurier but if Carleton comes to me with an offer I'll have to assess the situation then. I really don't know what I would do. Carleton was my first choice  because it's not far from Montreal and my partner's family. Also, my partner and I wouldn't mind establishing ourselves in Ottawa so in terms of the future it would be perfect, but on the other hand I'm assuming Waterloo might have cheaper living expenses etc (which I'm not sure of) so it honestly depends on finances, our future plans, future work opportunities, so many things. I really don't know. We would have to sit down and write our pros and cons list and seriously consider both options. As of right now however, I'm choosing to believe that I am attending Laurier :)

I am also waiting for Laurier's official offer. I am just wondering around what time (morning 10:00am or afternoon 3:00pm etc. )did you receive the offer? 

Blegh. 5 PM, end of the business day, and end of the business week. Three-four day weekend (I have no idea, do people get Easter Monday off in the real world? It's now "exam season" so I don't have to do anything but like..?) to sit around and hope for U of T / Laurier. Going to focus on family / relaxing / trying to finish my last few things for my undergrad. And going to start trying to decide between Lakehead & St. Thomas. Oh, and figure out if I can pull off Explore this summer (I feel like a total French immersion program would be good heading into a bilingual province if I pick St. Thomas, does anyone have experience with the program??). Still, it's gonna be a LONG weekend.