Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances today!!

I just got an email from Angela at U of T confirming they had received my updated transcript - so I still have hope that some more of us may yet hear before mid-April. It seems to be taking them about a week between rounds, so we still have (I'm gonna wildly speculate) two more sets of offers going out - I hope! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances today!!

I just got an email from Angela at U of T confirming they had received my updated transcript - so I still have hope that some more of us may yet hear before mid-April. It seems to be taking them about a week between rounds, so we still have (I'm gonna wildly speculate) two more sets of offers going out - I hope! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Like someone else said, I think if they already reviewed your application that Angela would probably give the same generic response. Let's hope for the best though! I wish if they allowed re-submissions of things like resumes that they would make it widely known, it is not fair that only a small portion knows about it through these communities. That's just my inner striving for equality speaking out though :P

Good luck to all of us who have had no acceptances yet! There is still some hope! No news is no news!

Has anyone heard of anyone getting off the waitlist for Laurier's Advanced Standing program?  I am starting to think the odds are not looking good.

There are a few people that I know who have been accepted to the Advanced Standing program at Laurier for this year. They had their placement fair on Monday so I had the opportunity to meet them. Last year I was accepted off of the waitlist in June so there is still lots of time. Keeping that in mind there were not a lot of placement options left at that time, I just got lucky that the only placement I wanted was left :)

Fenris70 I completely agree I think that should be something explicitly stated on their application website, it changes your hours pretty drastically. I never sent an updated resume because last year when I spoke to UofT they told me only hours until December will be considered so I don't know why they would be accepting resumes to be honest. I wish they were more clear about that, I would e-mail and ask if the updated resume will be considered in the admissions process or if it is simply policy to put things "on file" 

As for those accepted, I can't be the only one without Facebook right  ^_^ I was thinking of making a group on gradcafe under "meet and greet" for UofT 2 Year MSW Class of 2017 for anyone else who doesn't have Facebook I'm sure I will have a zillion questions haha :P Would anyone be interested in that?

Laurier had their placement fair already?  Wow, that is really early.  At this point I am assuming that I will be going to UofT for the upcoming year.  UofT is an amazing school, but Laurier was my top choice for a number of reasons.

Seeing that (1) U of T said that the admission process will be done by Mid April and (2) they have done three waves of admission already, does it seem plausible that they would still have more admission to go out (seeing it is only April 1st) ?

Thoughts?

Seeing that (1) U of T said that the admission process will be done by Mid April and (2) they have done three waves of admission already, does it seem plausible that they would still have more admission to go out (seeing it is only April 1st) ?

Thoughts?

I would say more than plausible. It's not over till you have the letter either way! Good luck!!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted into their program of choice! And congrats to everyone who applied - its an exhausting and intense process. I have been waitlisted for the 1 year HBSW Lakehead (Thunder Bay) program and I am trying to guage what my chance of being accepted is. Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? Or, has anyone heard of anyone being admitted into Lakehead from the waitlist?

Yay congrta

Congratulations to everyone who found out from Laurier, U of T and St Thomas today, that is such wonderful news! I'm just curious, to people who are getting into the 2 year programs: is this your first time applying or have you applied before? Just wanna get an idea of how common reapplication is !

Hey this was my second time applying. I was wait listed at u of t last year and never made it off. It's pretty competitive program so it's not uncommon to reapply. But hang in there if you haven't heard anything yet! There's still time !

Congrats to everyone who was accepted into their program of choice! And congrats to everyone who applied - its an exhausting and intense process. I have been waitlisted for the 1 year HBSW Lakehead (Thunder Bay) program and I am trying to guage what my chance of being accepted is. Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? Or, has anyone heard of anyone being admitted into Lakehead from the waitlist?

Hey! I don't know for sure how many people are on the waitlist. I do know the program only has 25 spots, but I think a lot of us applied to it and masters programs / other pd-BSWs. So, basically hope other people get into their masters and turn it down. I got into another program that I'm seriously considering, but need more information to make the choice. I can tell you I have to accept by April 24th so I imagine around then is when there will be some movement. I don't know from last year but you can look back through the forums to see if there was much movement. So, no need to despair just yet!

edit: haha, sorry, just realized I replied to you twice in two different forums basically saying the exact same thing. Can you tell this crazy waiting is frying my brain?? Hopefully someone else will have more insight!

Edited by magfish

Hey! I don't know for sure how many people are on the waitlist. I do know the program only has 25 spots, but I think a lot of us applied to it and masters programs / other pd-BSWs. So, basically hope other people get into their masters and turn it down. I got into another program that I'm seriously considering, but need more information to make the choice. I can tell you I have to accept by April 24th so I imagine around then is when there will be some movement. I don't know from last year but you can look back through the forums to see if there was much movement. So, no need to despair just yet!

edit: haha, sorry, just realized I replied to you twice in two different forums basically saying the exact same thing. Can you tell this crazy waiting is frying my brain?? Hopefully someone else will have more insight!

I certainly appreciate the response, so thank you! I've just finished browsing previous forums and the future looks grim! That was an exaggeration.. Though I did see some movement from the Orillia waitlist, I didn't see any for Thunder Bay. The waiting is so difficult! Fingers crossed though.

I certainly appreciate the response, so thank you! I've just finished browsing previous forums and the future looks grim! That was an exaggeration.. Though I did see some movement from the Orillia waitlist, I didn't see any for Thunder Bay. The waiting is so difficult! Fingers crossed though.

I think there is definitely going to be some movement for Thunder Bay. Whether it's enough movement to get you in is always a concern though. But there's definitely at least one person on this thread (I want to say @dexy77?) who got into Thunder Bay AND an MSW (Laurier??). I think a lot of people choose the HBSW as a back up, so you honestly never know! And really, I think I've seen maybe three of us on this forum who got into Lakehead Thunder Bay, when there are 25 people who got accepted. So you never know what'll happen outside of this site. :)

It's so stressful for sure, I really hope you get the good news you're hoping for! Keep us updated!

Hi there!

I have been lurking this forum for quite a while now, and this is my first time posting.

I haven't been accepted to any schools yet, and I am starting to get a little discouraged. I applied to UofT last year, and was wait listed, and I still haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know if it is it possible to be wait listed two years in a row? 

I also applied to Lakehead, and got rejected for Orillia's program, and waitlisted for Thunder Bay's program. I also got wait listed for York. I have yet to hear from Laurier.

If I were to be rejected/wait listed for all of these programs, do you think it is worth re-applying next year? It's just a little discouraging after applying to so many programs. 

I know it is too soon to lose all hope! I still have yet to hear from Laurier and UofT, and a wait lists that could turn into acceptances. It just can all be a little discouraging at times. Please let me know if you have any insight! 

Hi! I will be giving up my spot on that wait list! It could happen!

I would like some advice as well. I feel it is very unlikely I will get accepted anywhere from a lack of experience in social service agencies. I applied to colleges for the Social Service diploma as well in order to gain more experience before applying again. Would anyone recommend this, or would it be just as smart to work in a job not related (most likely an entry-level job) and volunteer at a few places to build up my experience?

Any help would be extremely appreciated, whether on the forums or through private message.

Hi there!

I have been lurking this forum for quite a while now, and this is my first time posting.

I haven't been accepted to any schools yet, and I am starting to get a little discouraged. I applied to UofT last year, and was wait listed, and I still haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know if it is it possible to be wait listed two years in a row? 

I also applied to Lakehead, and got rejected for Orillia's program, and waitlisted for Thunder Bay's program. I also got wait listed for York. I have yet to hear from Laurier.

If I were to be rejected/wait listed for all of these programs, do you think it is worth re-applying next year? It's just a little discouraging after applying to so many programs. 

I know it is too soon to lose all hope! I still have yet to hear from Laurier and UofT, and a wait lists that could turn into acceptances. It just can all be a little discouraging at times. Please let me know if you have any insight! 

I think it is definitely worth reapplying. I read about someone who was waitlisted last year for Thunder Bay who reapplied this year and was accepted. I'm not sure if reapplying helps your application - I can't remember whether the online application for Lakehead asks if you've applied in previous years. I feel like they did, so maybe there's merit in reapplying?

In last year's forums I read about tons of people being accepted into various programs (UofT, Windsor, Laurier, UofC and York) from the waitlist - some notified as late as August. So there is still hope! If you don't get in this round, you could always spend the upcoming year boosting your work and volunteer experience to build up your application. Keep trying! You've got nothing to lose!

Hi! I will be giving up my spot on that wait list! It could happen!

This is good news for both of us! Congrats on being accepted into all those programs! Do you know which one you'll choose?

I think there is definitely going to be some movement for Thunder Bay. Whether it's enough movement to get you in is always a concern though. But there's definitely at least one person on this thread (I want to say @dexy77?) who got into Thunder Bay AND an MSW (Laurier??). I think a lot of people choose the HBSW as a back up, so you honestly never know! And really, I think I've seen maybe three of us on this forum who got into Lakehead Thunder Bay, when there are 25 people who got accepted. So you never know what'll happen outside of this site. :)

It's so stressful for sure, I really hope you get the good news you're hoping for! Keep us updated!

Thanks for all your insight and encouragement! I truly hope a spot opens up for me. I was enrolled in a MA in Counseling Psychology program in the fall which I hated, so I applied to Lakehead at the last minute to pursue Social Work instead. By that point I had already missed the deadline for many Masters in Social WOrk programs - hence why I only appplied to one school (or two, counting Orillia which I was rejected from), but next year I will for sure apply to multiple programs to increase my chances of being admitted somewhere. Strategic move everyone!

Hi there!

Give it some more time. Try not to feel discouraged. The most positive aspect of your situation is that Lakehead's wait list moves quite a bit. Many people accepted into the HBSW also get offers to MSW programs and they will leave their spots vacant. By sometime in May, if I remember correctly, you should hear back from them about second round offers.  I honestly wouldn't be thinking about this until June. If you don't get a spot by this time, then thinking about a plan B would be the next logical step. Best of luck!

Edited by jenste

I would like some advice as well. I feel it is very unlikely I will get accepted anywhere from a lack of experience in social service agencies. I applied to colleges for the Social Service diploma as well in order to gain more experience before applying again. Would anyone recommend this, or would it be just as smart to work in a job not related (most likely an entry-level job) and volunteer at a few places to build up my experience?

Any help would be extremely appreciated, whether on the forums or through private message.

If you have an undergrad degree in a related field with relevant work/volunteer experience, you should be good to apply for a pre-masters program in Social Work. Some programs require a 4 year degree, but not all do. For instance, the UofM Pre-Masters Social Work program doesn't, but they do require related work experience. I would contact the department heads of the programs you'd like to get into for further assistance.

I read in last year's forum that someone who was waitlisted for Thunder Bay contacted the student advisor from the department of Social Work to seek feedback for her application. They told her the score of her application as well as explained which areas her application was lacking in. Which is super useful when reapplying.