Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Blegh. 5 PM, end of the business day, and end of the business week. Three-four day weekend (I have no idea, do people get Easter Monday off in the real world? It's now "exam season" so I don't have to do anything but like..?) to sit around and hope for U of T / Laurier. Going to focus on family / relaxing / trying to finish my last few things for my undergrad. And going to start trying to decide between Lakehead & St. Thomas. Oh, and figure out if I can pull off Explore this summer (I feel like a total French immersion program would be good heading into a bilingual province if I pick St. Thomas, does anyone have experience with the program??). Still, it's gonna be a LONG weekend.

Hopefully you'll find a way to distract yourself over the weekend! Its hard, I know, but possible. U of T and Laurier are still sending out acceptance letters, no?

My sister has done the explore program 3 times in Montreal and absolutely loved it. I have a few friends who have also gone and they loved it as well. Do you know where explore would place you in Quebec? My best friend was placed in a smaller francophone town without any anglophone pockets and she said she learned a substantial amount of french. I think a lot of people who opt for Montreal are primarily interested in living in Montreal, which is understandable because its incredible. Its definietly possible to learn french in Montreal but its a lot easier in francophone towns within Quebec.

My sister said she also recieved a "grocery allowance" which was more than enough to live on, and all of your accommodations are taken care of. I've been wanting to do it for a while! Maybe next summer!

Its sounds like you've got a lot to think about and many incredible opportunities ahead :D  Enjoy the weekend.

If there is a message board created comparing UofT and Laurier please let me know!!

Also, thanks to everyone who had insight on my UofT vs. Laurier comparisons!!! I'm still confused haha

I'm at U of T right now. Just finished Year 1. I can tell you a bit about the program. It's huge - about 120 students in year one, even more in year two. Which I've experienced as a draw back. I still see people Ive never met. Laurier is smaller (about 80 students). Toronto does have great opportunities for placement and work with diverse clients, but the matching process is flawed and theres no guarantee you will get the placement you want (ie if you really want sick kids or camh, for instance). U of T is also not very progressive or social justice oriented, the social justice stream in second year is dwindling, so if thats what youre looking for in grad school...look elsewhere. It's mostly focused on clinical work. My interest is children and families and clinical work, so its been a pretty good match for me. But I also wish it was smaller and there was more critical thought and focus on social justice. 

If you have any direct questions let me know. 

Aweee :) That's so sweet, thank you!!! :) :) I'm so excited! It still feels like a dream! I can't even believe it! Yay! Are you accepting Laurier, or you're still waiting on other offers?

I am I a similar boat as you. I am waiting on one more school (UNBC), I think the program in BC is a better fit based on my interests, it makes financial sense, and it's closer to family. However, I am super excited about Laurier and if I end up there, I will still be happy. For now, I am saying that I am going to Laurier.

Hey Folks,

I'm currently attending the 1 year HBSW at Lakeahead Orillia campus. So I would be happy to try and answer questions about the program and/or renting in Orillia if anyone has them :) 

I know it's pretty early but I (and a few of my classmates) also have textbooks from the program that I would love to sell.... so while it's still a while away keep me in mind when you start getting course information especially if you live near Brampton.

Cathy

Hopefully you'll find a way to distract yourself over the weekend! Its hard, I know, but possible. U of T and Laurier are still sending out acceptance letters, no?

My sister has done the explore program 3 times in Montreal and absolutely loved it. I have a few friends who have also gone and they loved it as well. Do you know where explore would place you in Quebec? My best friend was placed in a smaller francophone town without any anglophone pockets and she said she learned a substantial amount of french. I think a lot of people who opt for Montreal are primarily interested in living in Montreal, which is understandable because its incredible. Its definietly possible to learn french in Montreal but its a lot easier in francophone towns within Quebec.

My sister said she also recieved a "grocery allowance" which was more than enough to live on, and all of your accommodations are taken care of. I've been wanting to do it for a while! Maybe next summer!

Its sounds like you've got a lot to think about and many incredible opportunities ahead :D Enjoy the weekend.

I actually was offered a bursary at the Universitie Sainte-Anne in Nova Scotia! Tiny rural francophone town of Church Point (Pointe d'Eglise). Especially because I'm seriously considering a BSW in a bilingual province (NB) I feel like it would be very beneficial. But I'd also lose five weeks of work.

Yes- it's not over till I get the rejection letter, luckily!

kathclemens - I am going to be in the Advanced Standing (so 2nd year) Social Justice and Diversity stream at UofT in the fall.  How many students would you say are in that stream?  I'm assuming it's going to be much smaller than the mental health and health and child and family streams.

Like prairegirl2015 I would really like to talk to anyone currently at York (preferably in the 2 year, MSW but my questions relate to the program/school as a whole!)

Pls send me a pm or reply here!

Thanks!

Hi Horizonmind,

In response to your question about the McGill program, I will tell you what I know.

I know someone who was admitted to the qualifying year and attended from 2011-2012. At the time, the McGill website said that anyone with a B+ average or higher will be recommended for admission into the 1 yr MSW program. In her cohort, 50 people meet that requirement, plus an unknown number of applicants outside of her cohort. She was one of the lucky few that was admitted to the MSW in 2012, but many of her classmates were angry and disappointed because they did not get in. They thought the website was misleading as it suggested they would likely get in if their GPA was a B+ or higher. At that point, their only was to option were to apply again to the MSW (or, I'm pretty sure, to complete another year of coursework and get a BSW).

I never applied to this school because after one year of BSW courses, you will not end up with a BSW and there is no guarantee of admission into the MSW program. I only applied to Lakehead's BSW program (2 years ago) because it is short and you will end up with a BSW, which will allow you to work in the field as an RSW and also apply to advanced standing MSW programs afterwards. 

Perhaps things have changed now, but I think this is worth looking into before deciding. Some people have personal reasons for wanting to live in Montreal so it makes sense to study there. Some who want to go to McGill are determined to do whatever it takes to stand out from the rest so that they will get accepted in the MSW program and it works out for some people. However, I am not much of a risk taker (especially when so much money and time in school are involved) so I never applied. On the other hand, tuition is extremely cheap, especially if you are Quebec resident. So this is another strong point about McGill, along with strong university rankings and recognition in the US.

Edited by jenste

Horizonmind,

If you wish to become a registered social worker in Quebec, you will also need to pass 4 French tests with the Office de la langue francaise if you did not attend elementary and high school in Quebec, but this should not prevent you from being able to find internships/practicums in Montreal (although your options will be limited to a degree if you are not fluent in French).

Hope this helps! Congrats and good luck.

Edited by jenste

I was accepted at 2:10 on Wednesday April 1st

I am also waiting for Laurier's official offer. I am just wondering around what time (morning 10:00am or afternoon 3:00pm etc. )did you receive the offer? 

kathclemens - I am going to be in the Advanced Standing (so 2nd year) Social Justice and Diversity stream at UofT in the fall.  How many students would you say are in that stream?  I'm assuming it's going to be much smaller than the mental health and health and child and family streams.

Yep, much much smaller. I'm not sure how many but I'd estimate there was 40-50 max. this year? It changes year to year depending on what students want to specialize in. Each small section has about 18-25 students (and sometimes they will do large lecture with everyone). (Note: In first year - although sections are smaller the program still feels large because you have different combination of people in each class -  and lectures have 100+ students - im sure by second year this changes a bit depending on your stream)

Most people in my year are doing Health and Mental Health, it appears Children and Families is the second most popular stream.

I'm at U of T right now. Just finished Year 1. I can tell you a bit about the program. It's huge - about 120 students in year one, even more in year two. Which I've experienced as a draw back. I still see people Ive never met. Laurier is smaller (about 80 students). Toronto does have great opportunities for placement and work with diverse clients, but the matching process is flawed and theres no gu

arantee you will get the placement you want (ie if you really want sick kids or camh, for instance). U of T is also not very progressive or social justice oriented, the social justice stream in second year is dwindling, so if thats what youre looking for in grad school...look elsewhere. It's mostly focused on clinical work. My interest is children and families and clinical work, so its been a pretty good match for me. But I also wish it was smaller and there was more critical thought and focus on social justice. 

If you have any direct questions let me know.

Hey! Thanks for writing more about the program. I was wondering how big classes generally are? And how is the semester broken up (how many courses in sem 1 vs. Sem 2) how are the profs?

Hey! Thanks for writing more about the program. I was wondering how big classes generally are? And how is the semester broken up (how many courses in sem 1 vs. Sem 2) how are the profs?

I am also wondering how the semesters are broken up? I saw online that registration for 2 year is F/W/S/F/W/S .. does that mean it is 24 months straight for the university of toronto 2 year social work program ?

Thanks !

Christina

http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/programs/all-timetables/msw-year-1-fall-2014-and-winter-2015/

This should help to answer some of your questions. All classes in first year are mandatory. 

Although most people complete the first year of the program during Fall/Winter. Some people opt to take Research Methods in the spring. Summer courses are also available (at no extra cost) to get ahead for the 2nd year (I'm planning on taking one because balancing courses/practicum with the rest of life can be stressful). You can also do a summer block of placement with the individuals and families course to spread out the workload. 

Class sizes are generally about 18-24 in the smaller sections. Elements and Lab in first year will be the smallest class size (16 i think). 

I used this group lots when I was an applicant and it's been helpful...so Im happy to answer your questions.

PS Good luck to everyone still waiting, I was on the waitlist and got in, dont loose hope! 

Edited by kathclemens

Hey :)

I created a Facebook group where anyone can ask questions about Canadian MSW programs. This forum can sometimes get really lengthy and confusing so I thought it would be a good idea. Of course, please don't feel obligated to be part of it. This might not work but I thought it would be worth a try :).  https://www.facebook.com/groups/346187155575824/ 

Edit: if the link doesn't work, type Canadian MSW Programs 

Edited by purplegrey

http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/programs/all-timetables/msw-year-1-fall-2014-and-winter-2015/

This should help to answer some of your questions. All classes in first year are mandatory. 

Although most people complete the first year of the program during Fall/Winter. Some people opt to take Research Methods in the spring. Summer courses are also available (at no extra cost) to get ahead for the 2nd year (I'm planning on taking one because balancing courses/practicum with the rest of life can be stressful). You can also do a summer block of placement with the individuals and families course to spread out the workload. 

thanks! Are you in or know anyone that is in the collaborative programs? I also noticed that they offer quite a bit workshops and what not in the summer? Do you know how those work, or are they just considered courses?

Sorry if that's unclear I'm not sure exactly what they call them!

Hey Folks,

I'm currently attending the 1 year HBSW at Lakeahead Orillia campus. So I would be happy to try and answer questions about the program and/or renting in Orillia if anyone has them :)

I know it's pretty early but I (and a few of my classmates) also have textbooks from the program that I would love to sell.... so while it's still a while away keep me in mind when you start getting course information especially if you live near Brampton.

Cathy

Hello Cathy,

I've been accepted into the 1-year HBSW at Lakehead Orillia campus! I am hoping I still either get into Laurier or U of T, but if not, Lakehead is my back up plan! 

Whats the program like now that it's coming close to the end, and were many people able to finish it in under a year? 

Also, if you live on residence, can you talk about you experiences, what residence you would recommend, and your experiences with the food/meal plan? 

Lastly, did you mind starting the academic year in July? --It terrified me because if I am put on a waiting list for an MSW, I wouldn't be able to "wait around" if lake head starts in July. 

Would love to hear anything you have to say about your experiences overall and the program! 

Thanks! :)

Question to those who've heard from Laurier: what letter does your last name start with? Wondering if they're replying alphabetically or randomly so I can guess when I might hear... :P

New poster here, I don't know why I didn't think of checking these forums earlier.

Not Laurier specific, but I'm wondering if all programs are sending out acceptances/rejections based on application date

Hello Cathy,

I've been accepted into the 1-year HBSW at Lakehead Orillia campus! I am hoping I still either get into Laurier or U of T, but if not, Lakehead is my back up plan! 

Whats the program like now that it's coming close to the end, and were many people able to finish it in under a year? 

Also, if you live on residence, can you talk about you experiences, what residence you would recommend, and your experiences with the food/meal plan? 

Lastly, did you mind starting the academic year in July? --It terrified me because if I am put on a waiting list for an MSW, I wouldn't be able to "wait around" if lake head starts in July. 

Would love to hear anything you have to say about your experiences overall and the program! 

Thanks! :)[/quote

I have the exact same worry if I'm wait listed ugh

I have the exact same worry if I'm wait listed ugh

I am also worried of what I would do if I go ahead and go to lake head for the HBSW and then get accepted into a MSW program last minute!

If I were accepted last minute into a MSW, it makes complete sense to go to the MSW program, but at the same time it would be such a complicated process to leave lakehead because (1) I will be getting a full student loan for lakehead and (2) I live 20+ hours away from lake head. 

If anyone has experience this (went to lakehead, and then left because they were accepted into a MSW before september), please fill me in on your experiences and everything you did! Advice is needed!