Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hi everyone,

I have a question for those who have received acceptance packages to U of T. I was wondering if anybody was offered bursaries if you accept to go there.. if so was this offered in your acceptance package? This may be completely wrong, but I thought it was common to be offered some sort of money incentive or even a TA position to attend masters programs. 

Thanks! 

If you received a scholarship with your UofT acceptance, it was on a separate piece of paper in the admission package sent in the mail. It's a scholarship based on "academic merit" that says it will be processed in September.

In terms of offering money/TA positions, I think it depends on the Master's program...  I am currently finishing up my Master's in Psychology.. and since it's research, we receive research scholarships and a TA position each semester, but that is not the case for all graduate programs.

From what I've read on this forum, it seems like York may be the only program that guarantees a TA position?? but don't quote me on that!!

Emilymasters - No it is not common for people attending MSW programs in Canada to get funding.  There are limited scholarships at some programs and as mentioned York offers funding. 

As for UofT, I would wager that all the acceptances have likely gone out by now and they are sending out the waitlists/rejections.  I'm not trying to be discouraging but I would be really surprised if acceptances were going out this late in the game.

I am in the same situation as you. I haven't heard back from u of t, windsor or laurier. I emailed the graduate admissions at windsor on friday beca use like your said some people have been accepted and rejected. When I get an answer back I'll let you know! Hang in there !!

Have you heard anything back from Windsor yet? :)

Or in general, has anyone heard anything from them?

I checked out last years forum on grad cafe, and all the waitlists/rejection letters were all received by/around April 6th.

I hate to admit this but everyone was right when they said that admission process has likely ended and that they are probably preparing the waitlist/rejection letter now. 

It's been fun :)

Did anyone else here accept their offer from Ryerson? I spoke to the graduate coordinator today and she said that anyone who was offered funding will get details by early this week. But she told me that my funding is a graduate scholarship, so essentially free money :D.

I accepted Ryerson's offer, but depending on funding, I may go to York because of the guaranteed assistanceship and very low tuition (not sure if the newly gained $3,000 minimum Summer funding actually changes anything for MSWs at York).

I'm glad that I will finally learn what the Ryerson funding is about! I tried calling and emailing but never got any response from anyone.

Congratulations on the free money! If it's the same for me, then I'll probably see you next September!

Hi everyone,

I have a question for those who have received acceptance packages to U of T. I was wondering if anybody was offered bursaries if you accept to go there.. if so was this offered in your acceptance package? This may be completely wrong, but I thought it was common to be offered some sort of money incentive or even a TA position to attend masters programs. 

Thanks! 

Isn't the opportunity to be a social worker the greatest incentive of all :o

Hi everyone,

Thanks! 

In Canada, funding is limited for MSW programs. For 2 yr programs, York is quite good in terms of funding and Carlton seems to provide a fairly good amount of money for some applicants by providing a small scholarship and either a TA or RA position (not sure). At the other schools, as far as I know, you may get a little entrance scholarship for $4,000 or less and can apply for other small scholarships every year once you are in the program.  

You can also apply for TA and RA positions as opportunities come up, but they are typically not part of your admissions package. If you are doing a thesis, you can also apply for OGS.

Edited by jenste

Isn't the opportunity to be a social worker the greatest incentive of all :o

We are not all privileged to be able to afford school without financial assistance. Bursaries can be extremely beneficial for some people and can greatly ease the financial burden. As well, some programs like business and engineering pay their students to complete practicums and most masters programs with a thesis provide funding so many students can attend school debt-free. So I do not think it is unreasonable to hope that an MSW program would provide some financial assistance.

In your MSW program, there will be lots of discussions and readings related to social location and privilege. After some deep reflection on your own social location and the social benefits and privileges it affords you, as well as reflection and analysis on others with different social locations from you (as MSW programs typically encourage students to do), your perspective on the importance of some people receiving funding in order to be able to attend school could change over time. Some food for thought. :)

Edited by jenste

Can someone who has been accepted to UofT's 2 year program please tell me how long you have to accept the offer (also is it mailed in or accepted through an online system)?

I found out that it was mailed to my old address and the resident sent it back to UofT! 

If anyone knows who I can contact aside from Angela please let me know, because I have been trying to reach her for 3 days already 

Thanks! 

Can someone who has been accepted to UofT's 2 year program please tell me how long you have to accept the offer (also is it mailed in or accepted through an online system)?

I found out that it was mailed to my old address and the resident sent it back to UofT! 

If anyone knows who I can contact aside from Angela please let me know, because I have been trying to reach her for 3 days already 

Thanks! 

I'm pretty sure it's 4 weeks from the date your ROSI changes to "invited"

We are not all privileged to be able to afford school without financial assistance. Bursaries can be extremely beneficial for some people and can greatly ease the financial burden. As well, some programs like business and engineering pay their students to complete practicums and most masters programs with a thesis provide funding so many students can attend school debt-free. So I do not think it is unreasonable to hope that an MSW program would provide some financial assistance.

In your MSW program, there will be lots of discussions and readings related to social location and privilege. After some deep reflection on your own social location and the social benefits and privileges it affords you, as well as reflection and analysis on others with different social locations from you (as MSW programs typically encourage students to do), your perspective on the importance of some people receiving funding in order to be able to attend school could change over time. Some food for thought. :)

I was trying to be lighthearted, so sorry if it offended anyone!

Hey Everyone! 

I emailed Angela @ U of T the other day asking if they are still sending out letters of admission, or if they are done, and now sending out acceptance and are now sending out rejections and waitlist.

She replied back with the generic response that she has been sending everyone. So, maybe there is still hope that they are sending out acceptances if we have until the "mid-April".

Hello,

This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April.  As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made.   By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out.   Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application.  We ask for your continued patience. 

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

I was trying to be lighthearted, so sorry if it offended anyone!

Honestly I took your original comment to be a joke/lighthearted sarcasm and had a laugh!!

(Though Jenste made a lot of valid points about financial accessibility)

Edited by nutella14

Hey Everyone! 

I emailed Angela @ U of T the other day asking if they are still sending out letters of admission, or if they are done, and now sending out acceptance and are now sending out rejections and waitlist.

She replied back with the generic response that she has been sending everyone. So, maybe there is still hope that they are sending out acceptances if we have until the "mid-April".

Hello,

This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April.  As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made.   By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out.   Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application.  We ask for your continued patience. 

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Thanks for the update, I still believe UofT has one more wave of acceptances on it's way. 

I got wait listed from Laurier but last year 40 people got wait listed - probably a 4-5 people movement on the wait list. 

Hi everyone

This is a long shot but does anyone know what evaluation is like in a 2-Year MSW program (specifically York)? Are there usually exams in first-year courses?
I have a travel opportunity in Dec 2015 and it's a long way off but I'm hoping it can somehow still work out..

Again, I know it's a long shot in asking, but figured I'd try. I'm trying not to bother the program coordinator as it's such a busy time for them.. guess that means my questions end up here, haha  :rolleyes:

Thanks!

For those on the waitlist for Laurier 2-year program, I'm 75% sure I'm declining my offer so I think there is hope for you guys!! :)

Toronto was my first choice and I never thought I would get into Laurier! So, I immediately accepted my Toronto offer. However, now it's hard to decline an offer from Laurier, as I know they also have a great SW program!!!!

I live in Burlington, so location isn't the worst as I'm in the middle of both campuses.. but I'm thinking Toronto has better connections in the GTA??? I'm thinking out loud here..... as I'm struggling with my decision.

I know you all did your research, but in your opinion/from what you've heard from others in the SW working field... are they looked at equally on your resume?

Emilymasters - No it is not common for people attending MSW programs in Canada to get funding.  There are limited scholarships at some programs and as mentioned York offers funding. 

As for UofT, I would wager that all the acceptances have likely gone out by now and they are sending out the waitlists/rejections.  I'm not trying to be discouraging but I would be really surprised if acceptances were going out this late in the game.

In Canada, funding is limited for MSW programs. For 2 yr programs, York is quite good in terms of funding and Carlton seems to provide a fairly good amount of money for some applicants by providing a small scholarship and either a TA or RA position (not sure). At the other schools, as far as I know, you may get a little entrance scholarship for $4,000 or less and can apply for other small scholarships every year once you are in the program.  

You can also apply for TA and RA positions as opportunities come up, but they are typically not part of your admissions package. If you are doing a thesis, you can also apply for OGS.

Carleton offered quite good funding (with scholarships and TA position about $29 000 over the course of two years) but I still didn't want to move to Ottawa with my dad being ill. It was a big decision to turn that down but ultimately the right one I think.

For those on the waitlist for Laurier 2-year program, I'm 75% sure I'm declining my offer so I think there is hope for you guys!! :)

Toronto was my first choice and I never thought I would get into Laurier! So, I immediately accepted my Toronto offer. However, now it's hard to decline an offer from Laurier, as I know they also have a great SW program!!!!

I live in Burlington, so location isn't the worst as I'm in the middle of both campuses.. but I'm thinking Toronto has better connections in the GTA??? I'm thinking out loud here..... as I'm struggling with my decision.

I know you all did your research, but in your opinion/from what you've heard from others in the SW working field... are they looked at equally on your resume?

Both are amazing programs. UofT does have wonderful connections for placement opportunities. I have a friend in the program right now and she absolutely loves it. In terms of which school looks better on a resume... hmm they look equal, especially in a field like social work. For the most part it's also all about connections/network - your degree will just legitimize your knowledge/wisdom. 

I think both schools have an excellent reputation and it's important to remember you only get what you put in. Look at it this way, applying to MSW programs do you think either Laurier or Toronto placed emphasis on where you completed your undergrad? Not likely, they were mostly interested in your experiences and what you have accomplished professionally and personally. This to me is very important to consider when choosing a grad school, you have to think of what school offers you the best potential to succeed. Not necessarily provide you with the opportunity (e.g. placement) but the environment to succeed.

(This is not to say placements are not important, I am simply suggesting that it is one aspect of your education so consider the other aspects. Classes, course content, class size, training, mentors/professors, skill building etc.)

Having transferred between 2 universities in my undergrad I learned this the hard way, but am glad to have had that experience. I had come to understand that while the first university I went to provided me with more opportunities up front, when I transferred to the other school the opportunities were there but I had be to be a lot more self-sufficient and really advocate to get the chances and experiences I wanted. This experience contributed immensely to my work ethic and drive, which I am not so certain that I would have developed this from the first university.

So, while you are thinking long term after graduating consider that employers do not look at social workers' education like a "brand name" they place far more emphasis on the worker. I have landed many opportunities when the possibility did not seem likely because I am aware of my strengths and weaknesses. Consider that when choosing :)

Edited by blh22

Hey Everyone! 

Hello,

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

I got this EXACT email when I inquired 6 weeks ago. I wouldn't read into this email too much. At this point I am onto my plan b, and just waiting for what I know is coming in the mail from U of T. It's pretty difficult to be optimistic at this point. I wish they would just send everything out already. Who knows though?

Hey guys,

For anyone who didn't get in, didn't get in yet, or who didn't get into their first choice school, this book might be a great read for you.  It's meant to put everything in perspective a little regarding the flawed admissions system.  Technically it's american, but there are parallels with canada.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455532703/?tag=slatmaga-20

I got this EXACT email when I inquired 6 weeks ago. I wouldn't read into this email too much. At this point I am onto my plan b, and just waiting for what I know is coming in the mail from U of T. It's pretty difficult to be optimistic at this point. I wish they would just send everything out already. Who knows though?

I definitely am on to my plan b too! I'll be attending Lakehead University for the 1Yr HBSW this July 2015!

But, until I get that letter in my hand from U of T, imma stay hopeful! :)

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted & Good Luck to those still playing the waiting game! 

Hey guys,

For anyone who didn't get in, didn't get in yet, or who didn't get into their first choice school, this book might be a great read for you.  It's meant to put everything in perspective a little regarding the flawed admissions system.  Technically it's american, but there are parallels with canada.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455532703/?tag=slatmaga-20

I'll have to have a look at this, not because I have yet to receive any offers for the schools I applied to but because I have experienced an issue with the admissions process in the past. Due to administrative error my application was not even considered for admissions. Also several MA students from various programs have also looked at me quite shocked that there is no interview testing for MSW programs which many other programs involving a clinical aspect require. 

Hmm I'm surprised people who have been rejected or waitlisted at U of T haven't heard back yet. I'm guessing this week or definitly next week we will all have heard back from them.

This is likely because they are waiting to receive replies from those they have sent out offers to before deciding whether or not to place applicants on the wait list or to reject them.

I'll have to have a look at this, not because I have yet to receive any offers for the schools I applied to but because I have experienced an issue with the admissions process in the past. Due to administrative error my application was not even considered for admissions. Also several MA students from various programs have also looked at me quite shocked that there is no interview testing for MSW programs which many other programs involving a clinical aspect require. 

This is likely because they are waiting to receive replies from those they have sent out offers to before deciding whether or not to place applicants on the wait list or to reject them.

Yes, I am also very surprised by the lack of interviews for MSW programs.

And concerning U of T, I still think there will be a few offers sent along with the waitlist/rejection ones. Well at least, I hope so!