Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

For Boulder and Albuquerque, I have to reapply.

For UCSB's Religious Studies program (the only non-comm program), I do not have to reapply because it is a combined MA/PhD program. 

It is also my dream beyond dream program, but I am still waiting to hear specifics about funding (besides what they've told me, which is that they've nominated me for the central fellowship, but won't know an answer for another month or so).

It's also sadly the least likely to work out, because I have a family requiring at least a 3-bedroom home ... and that costs a pretty pretty shiny penny on the coast of California ... Much prettier a penny than we are even close to having. We're working on it though... partner's looking for jobs already and I'm praying to the gods of graduate funding that they hook me up with a sweet package.

We'll see... :)

UCSB definitely sounds the most appealing solely based on the fact that you wouldn't have to go through this hellish process again! 

For Boulder and Albuquerque, I have to reapply.

For UCSB's Religious Studies program (the only non-comm program), I do not have to reapply because it is a combined MA/PhD program. 

It is also my dream beyond dream program, but I am still waiting to hear specifics about funding (besides what they've told me, which is that they've nominated me for the central fellowship, but won't know an answer for another month or so).

It's also sadly the least likely to work out, because I have a family requiring at least a 3-bedroom home ... and that costs a pretty pretty shiny penny on the coast of California ... Much prettier a penny than we are even close to having. We're working on it though... partner's looking for jobs already and I'm praying to the gods of graduate funding that they hook me up with a sweet package.

We'll see... :)

Good luck with the partner's job search and the funding package. That is the main thing affecting our decision right now too and it is scary (esp. since my partner is more of a freelancer and will be starting in a new community). I hope everything works out for you!

I didn't get in either. Have you heard anything from Wisconsin? I know they sent out interview invites but I haven't had any correspondence since I submitted the application. It's a poor fit but it seems strange to have no correspondence.

Off topic but has anyone been accepted at Maryland or UConn? I haven't seen anyone else that applied there

Wisconsin is deciding the last poll of applicants on Wednesday and would most likely start sending acceptances/rejections next week.

Autumn! You got an acceptance? CONGRATS!!!!

Yes! Thank you! So surprising. I was grumbling about "WHY SO MUCH JUNK MAIL" when I saw the subject heading. Exciting!

I am also really pleased that they included the funding info in the acceptance letter, rather than having to wait. Like most of us, funding plays a big part for me.

Edited by autumn

Just heard back from Stanford's Journalism MA....accepted with partial funding (!!!!)

I am ecstatic. I thought this was a major reach.

At work cheesing out all over. Nobody understands. haha!

I spoke to the Purdue Communication dept last Monday and they said there would be another round of acceptances sent out this week.

For the people who already got a PhD offer, did your application status on the online application change from anything other than "Submitted". Some programs are different.

I spoke to the Purdue Communication dept last Monday and they said there would be another round of acceptances sent out this week.

For the people who already got a PhD offer, did your application status on the online application change from anything other than "Submitted". Some programs are different.

My status never changed on the portal! I hope you hear something soon - waiting is the worst.

so true. plus, it's my first pick for my Masters. Which section did you get into? 

Well I hope they let you know soon! I was accepted into the Org Comm PhD program. I'm waiting to hear back from one more program, but I'm pretty sure Purdue is where I'll be going!

Well I hope they let you know soon! I was accepted into the Org Comm PhD program. I'm waiting to hear back from one more program, but I'm pretty sure Purdue is where I'll be going!

maybe/hopefully we'll be studying together! (oh god I hope so. i have everything tied to that school). im aiming for the media, technology and society studies focus. they have some great people working there and grad students. i should have contacted my POI sooner though. im terrified of contacting people through email. feels too personal.

2/2: Got an email from a professor at Cornell I've emailed with before saying that the faculty had some questions regarding my application, scheduled a call for tomorrow. 

Wish me luck! First phone interview, not sure what to expect but poring over their faculty profiles and reading articles. 

2/2: Got an email from a professor at Cornell I've emailed with before saying that the faculty had some questions regarding my application, scheduled a call for tomorrow. 

Wish me luck! First phone interview, not sure what to expect but poring over their faculty profiles and reading articles. 

Make sure you know your OWN research inside and out. In all the conversations I've had with POIs, they are never as interested in what I had to say about their work as I'd prepped for. They want to get to know you. Be prepared to talk about fit with the program. 

Good luck!