Firsthand reviews of Graduate Programs

Hey everybody,

I was interested in hearing about any stand out graduate programs people have been to or inside information either from firsthand experiences or through close friends reports. 

Any good, bad, ugly or fantastic California experiences at any schools, I would love to hear about so I can filter my list out.  I'm also interested in University of Nevada Reno. 

The majority of my applications will be in competitive California, due to being scared of out of state tuition fees and a few other reasons.  But, if anyone has had a fantastic experience going out of state and not having outrageous out-of-state tuition fees or great financial support programs I'd love to hear those experiences as well! 

I'm asking for firsthand experiences because my post-back program was really talked up, but now that I am here find it to feel a little impersonal and unorganized in terms of giving students information or offering support.  Classmates are very nice however.  I am brand new at this program so things could change but never hurts to get those firsthand reviews!  I'd like to go to a Graduate program that cares about their students and cares about a little more than a students money or statistics. 

Try looking for programs affiliated with the WICHE program. As a California resident, you would be eligible for in-state tuition at an out-of-state school if they are a WICHE participant. You can find more information here:http://wiche.edu/info/publications/wrgpHandout.pdf

There are only a handful of SLP WICHE programs (UW, CU Boulder, Utah State, Idaho State, EWU, University of Northern Colorado) but they're worth looking at!

I am currently at CU Boulder and am really enjoying it. I've heard UW's program is also really good. Also, EWU coordinates its program with WSU, so if you applied to and were accepted to EWU, I'm pretty sure you would have access to the same professors, classes, internships etc as WSU students but I'm not positive so don't quote me on that.

Best of luck!

I'm also at CU Boulder! I'm there with the Western Regional Graduate Program through WICHE as well. I applied to a few school but can't beat the in-state tuition here.

I did my undergrad at a small liberal arts school and it is definitely a bit different being at a large research university but the faculty and other students are super welcoming and there is something very appealing at being at a research university for SLP I think. We are constantly exposed to new research and there are lots of opportunities to get involved with research, but you also have the option of not doing a thesis or getting too involved with research.

I'm also at CU Boulder! I'm there with the Western Regional Graduate Program through WICHE as well. I applied to a few school but can't beat the in-state tuition here.

I did my undergrad at a small liberal arts school and it is definitely a bit different being at a large research university but the faculty and other students are super welcoming and there is something very appealing at being at a research university for SLP I think. We are constantly exposed to new research and there are lots of opportunities to get involved with research, but you also have the option of not doing a thesis or getting too involved with research.

Have you started your clinical work at CU?  I'm curious to see what you think because there were a few very negative reviews by students stating that their clinical supervisors were not good.  I'm hoping to hear that others have had a different experience, and that they were the exception?

I know a lot of you are looking out west for grad school, but if you want a program that does not look at ONLY your GPA and GRE scores, than I would HIGHLY recommend Grand Valley State University.  Besides evaluating applicants on more than just #'s, the program itself is like a family atmosphere.  Most of the time when you hear that you think the students are all close, but here, the students AND staff are all close!  The staff is friendly and the program focuses more on application than just test scores.  The clinical experiences are all out in the community at head start programs, veterans homes, hospitals, rehab centers and Long term care facilities so you are actually at a place of business and not just at a school clinic being watched over by your professors.  You actually get out and make connections WHILE doing your clinical hours so that when you graduate you definitely will be able to get a CFY at one of the locations you did your clinical placement at.  Oh, and the program is only 15 months!  The last 3 months you could take your long term internship anywhere in the U.S.  Also you take the PRAXIS exam after a year in the program and get that done with.  As far as research, they do not have much going in that regard.  The end of the program exam or thesis is not either of those things.  It is a graduate portfolio of all of your work you did during the program which you get to keep and use in your job interviews to show all of the competencies you have met to your future employers.  

Highly recommend GVSU!

Have you started your clinical work at CU?  I'm curious to see what you think because there were a few very negative reviews by students stating that their clinical supervisors were not good.  I'm hoping to hear that others have had a different experience, and that they were the exception?

I haven't started clinical work yet but perhaps the other student on here has. I know that the class that just most recently graduated from CU has a lot of negative feelings towards the program. The program did make some changes last year and this year in response to those feelings but I don't have a lot of feedback from a clinical side and I can't speak to what the program was like last year. I do know that in terms of placement, you can get placed on campus at the campus clinic but if you want off-site placements, you need to find them yourself for the most part.

Edited by S_Cybelle

Hey Chandru1 I sent you a message with the details!  It was long!  If anyone else has specific questions about it i'll send a message as well!  

And I'd love to hear about SJSU as well if anyone has information!  Looks like a cool school! 

I've been in clinic for a few weeks now and am honestly really enjoying it. No program is perfect and everyone will have different feelings about their supervisor. There will be great supervisors and not so great supervisors (just like in any program or job). So far I have had a really positive experience with my supervisors and clinic assignments at CU.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone give any information on Arizona State University?? I'm in the dark! 

I'm pretty sure there is a thread for ASU students! Maybe it would be helpful? Or at least put you in contact with others in your position? I also have a friend who did her undergrad in CD there, so maybe she would know someone in the grad program. I can ask, if you'd like! 

Edited by Schatzie15

Can someone tell me about SJSU?

I'm currently an undergrad at SJSU and have been accepted to the grad program so I can't speak too much about the grad program. I think it's an okay school, but nothing special. We have some amazing professors but also a few that are hard to relate to. There's not a whole lot going on research wise, but we do have an AAC clinic and a grant available for those interested in working with HoH population (although I think this is the last year for it). The department itself seems unorganized, but that may be because we just got a new clinic director AND department administrator over the summer. Our clinic rooms are outdated and some rooms are unusable because the camera system doesn't work. Most of our assessments and materials are in decent shape, but our board games are missing pieces and a lot of our materials are rather juvenile.

I guess it's a fine school to go to if you're looking to go into the school system. Just don't expect any hand holding on ASHA requirements or any information like that.

The classroom that you'll have 90% of your classes in is a bit old, but a nice location. The hall is right next to a parking garage and there is a cafe right for snacks, coffee, and sandwiches right next to it which is REALLY nice for those 3 hour classes. There is also a student room next door to the classroom with a fridge, microwave, snacks, Keurig, couch, and some tables. So there's a nice space to relax and study or socialize.

All around it's a decent school. I'm probably not impressed with it as much as others are because I want to work with adults and there isn't much going on in that realm (although the adult clinic supervisors are amazing). But, it's hard to get into. Every year there's 40 spots: 20 for in major applicants and 20 for out of major. They give priority to people who received their CDS degree with them. So, 10-15 of those 20 spots go to them.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread for ASU students! Maybe it would be helpful? Or at least put you in contact with others in your position? I also have a friend who did her undergrad in CD there, so maybe she would know someone in the grad program. I can ask, if you'd like! 

Hey! Unfortunately that thread is only people talking about being wait listed! haha I am accepted into the program, but I'm struggling with going there, because I don't know much about it! Would you mind putting me in touch with your friend? That would be so helpful!