Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

anyone have info of admission for

Johns Hopkins, Cornell, UIUC, UW-Madison, Duke, Stony Brook, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Michigan Ann arbor, and UNC?

Please share if you do.. 

Haven't heard anything yet from them. 

Johns Hopkins, Cornell, UIUC, UW-Madison, Duke, Stony Brook, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Michigan Ann arbor, and UNC?

Please share if you do.. 

I called UW Madison, they said if I haven't heard by now, it's probably a rejection

Guess MIT is churning out their rejections today

Your application for admission to the Graduate School in the Department of Chemistry at MIT for the Fall Term of 2015 has been carefully considered by a committee of faculty members from the department. We regret to inform you that it is not possible to recommend approval of your application. Admission is very competitive and the number of new students we can admit is limited by the size of our staff and research facilities. We have acted on your application as promptly as possible, and we hope that you will be successful in gaining admission elsewhere.  We wish you all the best in your graduate studies and future scientific endeavors.

Same here. And here goes my dream school....

Please share if you do..

I was offered admission by Penn State a while back, with funding info coming in the mail a week later. I believe they are still reviewing applications as one of my friends just got a rejection notice...

I was offered admission by Penn State a while back, with funding info coming in the mail a week later. I believe they are still reviewing applications as one of my friends just got a rejection notice...

I just checked my mail box and got an admission from Penn State few hours ago ! 24k stipend + 2k fellowship 

hope to get more offers from other schools as well  

So I just spoke with the admissions administrator at UC San Diego and it sounds like they have made all of their admissions offers. According to him my application doesn't have a final decision, so there might be something there, but it probably means a rejection. 

Soo...I'm looking at rejections from probably 7/7 here, unless UNC and Colorado look really closely again at my application. 

This sucks

I just checked my mail box and got an admission from Penn State few hours ago ! 24k stipend + 2k fellowship

hope to get more offers from other schools as well

Congratulations! I will most likely be attending Penn State--waiting on some other potential offers--so maybe I'll see you there :)

Please share if you do..

I applied to UNC through BBSP umbrella for biochem or chem and my interview is next week and all interviews have been scheduled (for bbsp not sure if you applied directly to chemistry about that)

And Ga Tech sent me this email today:

Your application is complete and under review. Offers will be made between now and the 3rd week of March. You will be contacted by email when a decision is reached.

I applied to UNC through BBSP umbrella for biochem or chem and my interview is next week and all interviews have been scheduled (for bbsp not sure if you applied directly to chemistry about that)

And Ga Tech sent me this email today:

Your application is complete and under review. Offers will be made between now and the 3rd week of March. You will be contacted by email when a decision is reached.

Did you apply to GATech through pre-application form from Department of Chemistry?

Strange I haven't received any confirmation about the status of my application, although I am very sure all materials and LoRs are complete.

Looks like I should have contacted them earlier.

Edited by Maxtini

Did you apply to GATech through pre-application form from Department of Chemistry?

Strange I haven't received any confirmation about the status of my application, although I am very sure all materials and LoRs are complete.

I did. I only had contact because my theis advisor (currently ms student) submitted a letter through the wrong link--when I started the app the website was undergoing maintenance and after a week it came back so I switched and used the pre app but he sent the letter through the initial link to the unsubmitted paid app on accident.

Anyway after it got sorted, the dept secretary let me know. I doubt I would've been contacted otherwise.

I can't say for sure, but I didn't get in to UNC and MIT, UCSD says all acceptances are out, Columbia says all acceptances are out, Berkeley is almost certainly going to be a rejection. 

My hopes for Colorado are gone because I called back (see above) and I was told "My application hadn't been looked at", I just think she didn't want to tell me I was rejected over the phone. So...That's all she wrote. 7 applications, 7 rejections. I guess doing research since freshman year, and getting a double major in ChemE and Chemistry at the #5 school for both programs isn't enough. 

Good luck for the rest of you. 

They are the only school I still have yet to hear from. When I finished the preapp I emailed and verified all the material was there, but otherwise I wouldn't have heard anything back. Fortunately I have already made my decision but sucks for anyone who is waiting on them, it seems like they are taking their time.

Edited by Whisky-with-a-Y

So if I didn't hear back, does that mean that I am rejected? Or that I am on the waitlist? Or that I am "still being reviewed"?

I would send an email and ask, it could be any one of those options. Maybe take a look at the results search and see if the school as accepted a lot/sent rejections, /sent anything.

So if I didn't hear back, does that mean that I am rejected? Or that I am on the waitlist? Or that I am "still being reviewed"?

GA Tech is notorious for sending their acceptances late. They send out acceptances until late March. 

So I got an email from one of the professors at UNC trying to convince me to go to one of the visitation weekend. However, I was of the impression that they wanted me for my money because the only admission information I was given was through the Graduate application website and I wasn't given any information on funding or visiting or scheduling. So, I kinda just wrote off UNC as a place that I would like to go but couldn't without adding to my already massive pile of debt. Since that was my impression, I already booked visits to other schools that I got in at.

Now I'm kinda confused, this email expresses a significantly more amount of interest then I was given at the start and I don't know how to respond. I'm certainly not going to cancel visits to the other schools I applied to but I'm wondering if I should see about making time to visit the school at another time. If professors are interested enough to contact me maybe they will be willing to fund my time at the school?

What next steps would you guys suggest?

Edited by zifn

Hey Zifn,

School's are often willing to accommodate students that show interest but are not able to attend specific visit weekends. I personally experienced that. I suggest contact the graduate coordinator and ask if there's any chance that you can come visit another weekend, making sure the professors you are interested in will be present. If they really want you to attend you will notice very clearly how helpful they will be. Good luck!