SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

I'm in London Ontario - mail came - no letter. Agony for one more night! Congrats to those who got good news today and best of luck for future apps for those who did not get the news they hoped for. 

I wonder when the letter will reach me here in Copenhagen? :)  Just happy that we also get mail on Saturdays in Denmark!

Good luck to everyone!

Right there with you, but in Reykjavik :)

Right there with you, but in Reykjavik :)

And with you both in the slightly more southerly island of the UK. Mail on saturdays but not sundays here... hoping for a weekend result but very resigned to anxiously watching my mail on mon/tues... gah. All these letters are making me even more nervous!

Successful! Got my letter in Montreal ... I have quite literally been up and down the stairs 4 times already to check.  16.5/20 in the A category.  Definitely familiar with rejection. So for all those rejected or waitlisted if at first you don't succeed try, try again.

Bravo!! This is a HUGE achievement! 

Is A Category the $35,000 per year award?

Also out of curiously, what is everyone's major? It'll be curious to see if there is some trend!

Yes it is.  I am in a clinical school psychology program in the Faculty of Education.

Bravo!! This is a HUGE achievement! 

Thank you crimsoc!

CGS-D baby.

Good job Pol. I remember you from last year's thread. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking. I know it's a far reach for me being out west but there's a slim chance I might get it today.

Good job Pol. I remember you from last year's thread. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking. I know it's a far reach for me being out west but there's a slim chance I might get it today.

Thanks!

I'm a 4.5 hours drive away from Ottawa give or take a few minutes.

Congrats to everyone who was awarded a CGS/Fellowship! And best of luck to those on the waitlist, hopefully it will move quickly. And to those rejected, don't be discouraged. Many of us applied multiple times and eventually you are bound to be successful!

To those waiting for the letter: Canada Post has a strange mail delivery model. Around this time last year my neigbhour across the street received his letter, while I did not. Mine came the next day. This may explain why people in the same city do not necessarily receive their letter on the same day, but rather the next day. Fingers crossed for those waiting for news!

I second Konstantin. Last year I received a pretty miserable score and was rejected. Today (in Montreal) I got a letter for the B-category, which is great.

(The score was 15.4, and I don't know how close that is to the CGS range this year, but I sure wouldn't turn down a bump-up!)

I assume this is completely useless information because it is a new year (and further, it is entirely dependent on your particular adjudication committee) but last year I had a score of 12.9, or something like that, and I was bumped from the fellowship to CGS sometime in July. So there is indeed movement somewhere (E.g., vanier winners)

I second Konstantin. Last year I received a pretty miserable score and was rejected. Today (in Montreal) I got a letter for the B-category, which is great.

(The score was 15.4, and I don't know how close that is to the CGS range this year, but I sure wouldn't turn down a bump-up!)

Diakonos, would you be willing to share your score last year? I scored poorly this round and was wondering if you could tell us what you did in the meantime that might have improved your score (such as publications, conferences..etc). Thanks. Please feel free to PM me. Gutted today, but hearing from some of you that it might take a couple more rounds is comforting. Thanks for the encouraging words. 

I assume this is completely useless information because it is a new year (and further, it is entirely dependent on your particular adjudication committee) but last year I had a score of 12.9, or something like that, and I was bumped from the fellowship to CGS sometime in July. So there is indeed movement somewhere (E.g., vanier winners)

This is very helpful indeed, bentharbour! Thanks. I know people won CGS last year with 16, so if somehow I get bumped up it would be amazing.

Diakonos, would you be willing to share your score last year? I scored poorly this round and was wondering if you could tell us what you did in the meantime that might have improved your score (such as publications, conferences..etc). Thanks. Please feel free to PM me. Gutted today, but hearing from some of you that it might take a couple more rounds is comforting. Thanks for the encouraging words. 

Haha, I almost shudder to share it. I got a 7.7/20, which means my score this year is exactly DOUBLE last year's. But SSHRC's not a crapshoot, right? ;P

No major changes except I reworked the proposal and now I'm actually in the program rather than applying to it. I've maintained my GPA. I wonder if I made some sort of error last year, because the application was ranked #1 by my department last year and the SSHRC score was obviously quite low.

But to me the take-home message was: don't let SSHRC determine your evaluation of your work or your worth as an academic. It's alarmingly random, both for these awards and for the Insight Grants. A professor I know told me that she applied one year and got rejected, applied the next year with an identical application and got 500k+. I let SSHRC ruin my summer last year and I just would hate that to happen to anyone here. 

Regarding turning down an award, how likely is that? I just don't see many people wanting to turn down a SSHRC. It's not as if the award is tied to a specific university like Master's.

I agree. I do not think many people are turning down SSHRC doctoral awards. I do think that some people have to decline for administrative reasons (they do not qualify, they cannot attend school for personal reasons). Likely, most of the movement comes from people excepting other government/private sector scholarships (notably the Vanier).

That being said, I think there may be some people who end up declining for reasons related to international studies. For instance, you cannot accept a SSHRC at an international institution if you completed your BA and MA internationally. I think some probably overlook this policy and have to decline so that they can go to Harvard or Stanford. 

Hey, congrats to all who made it! It's so exciting!

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. I just got my letter in Toronto and thought I'd share. I got waitlisted with a score of 11.5/20. I'm currently finishing my first year as a PhD student at UofT.

Cacti

Regarding turning down an award, how likely is that? I just don't see many people wanting to turn down a SSHRC. It's not as if the award is tied to a specific university like Master's.

One possibility is that certain people get awarded the SSHRC but have to do a preparatory MA before starting their doctoral studies. This happened to two people coming out of my MA program a few years back who both accepted offers to UK schools.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by abreak