2015 MFA Applicants: Share your work and statement!

Xxanderr

I've written different statements for each school, but all have revolved around queer subjectivity and embracing play and failure in process. You can see my work at http://www.mikeyestes.com

The applications I've submitted are all for sculpture programs at the following schools: Yale, UCLA, Tyler, and Hunter. 

Edited by milkyforester

heeey.

my statement was about why ideas are outdated.

UCLA New Genres

NYU Film Production

http://www.jzierau.com

I really like the way you've incorporated digital work into your website. What website design platform did you use?

I really like the way you've incorporated digital work into your website. What website design platform did you use?

Hey thanks man!  It's all custom php/html/css.  I am a web developer by day.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the pressure to submit is over (for a few of us at least) does anyone else want to share their work? It would be neat to get a sneak preview of potential classmates.

I've already posted my website once, but if it helps get the ball going:

http://www.tom-cornell.com

I ended up applying for the sculpture program at:

Yale

Cornell

University of Oregon

University of Washington (3d4m program)

Alfred

Edited by tcornel5

Jessica, wow! It's funny, I tend toward a different feel from your work, but I appreciate more the work which I could never make. I am especially captivated by the tension and formal aspects exhibited in 'rubber form'. Your photos rock btw.

I'm a 'non-traditional' student too. I don't know if they're allowed to count age, but experience certainly can't hurt.

Clare I'm partially colorblind, so I don't know if I'm having the correct experience, but you make me dizzy! I can only imagine what they are like in person, it seems they would all be much more three dimensional, like 'Failing to...' Where did you apply? Maybe I'll see you in the fall.

Aaarrrggghhh the waiting!

Good luck all.

Hey everybody!

I had promised myself I wouldn't be checking the grad cafe because I was going crrrrazy refreshing the freak out forum every 5 minutes last year (this is my 2d round of apps here), but oh well!! Last year was a bummer (rejected from Yale and Hunter ipso facto, waitlisted at Alfred) so I hope this year I get in somewhere! If not, I know what it feels to be rejected....It absolutely sucks, but you eventually get over it and if art is what you reallly want to do, you will simply keep doing it until you nail it!

Here's my work 

www.saramilkes.com

applying to sculpture

Hi guys. I am thinking about applying to some MFA painting/ studio art programs for 2016.  

I would not mind getting into sculpture/new media to explore ideas.

IUB/UC Davis/ Portland State University/UW-Milwaukee/SIU/SIUe/Cornell/U Illinois/maybe UNCG with a few others I cant think of listing. PDX state is prob super competitive though. I want good funding from state schools. I got some dream schools why not?

I am also thinking about applying to some Art Therapy programs too.  

. Portland seems more like a Time art/performance community which is cool too. Not a big painter town. Though there are some great painters here.

If I dont get in its fine too just more studio time and growth

Let me know what you think.

www.ianchristopherwilson.com 

I am interested in using portraiture to get a particular idea across. The concept I am interested in exploring is distortion. Culturally we find distortion or disfigurement in film, tv, social networking sites, art history, and popular magazines. 

By exploring distortion through portraiture I convey my personal feelings and experiences in reality. In other words I put myself into my work. Doing this allows myself to explore the concept and use it to convey new meanings. 

Lately, I have been drawing from Internet images to explore new themes.

Jessica, wow! It's funny, I tend toward a different feel from your work, but I appreciate more the work which I could never make. I am especially captivated by the tension and formal aspects exhibited in 'rubber form'. Your photos rock btw.

I'm a 'non-traditional' student too. I don't know if they're allowed to count age, but experience certainly can't hurt.

Clare I'm partially colorblind, so I don't know if I'm having the correct experience, but you make me dizzy! I can only imagine what they are like in person, it seems they would all be much more three dimensional, like 'Failing to...' Where did you apply? Maybe I'll see you in the fall.

Aaarrrggghhh the waiting!

Good luck all.

Hey everybody!

I had promised myself I wouldn't be checking the grad cafe because I was going crrrrazy refreshing the freak out forum every 5 minutes last year (this is my 2d round of apps here), but oh well!! Last year was a bummer (rejected from Yale and Hunter ipso facto, waitlisted at Alfred) so I hope this year I get in somewhere! If not, I know what it feels to be rejected....It absolutely sucks, but you eventually get over it and if art is what you reallly want to do, you will simply keep doing it until you nail it!

Here's my work 

www.saramilkes.com

applying to sculpture

hey Sara, cool sculptures. do you draw from any cultural references in your work?

hey Sara, cool sculptures. do you draw from any cultural references in your work?

Hey icw, thanks!

Well I am Latin American, as you might have noticed, and a sensitive point here is whether Latin American art should be ascribed to Western art traditions or should develop its own references. This is a constant concern in my work and could be considered a cultural reference I guess. I use a pastiche of many high art references and mix them with comical elements, particularly those coming from the confectionery industry.  

Yes, That is very interesting, whether Latin American Art should align with Western Traditions. My art refers to others things as well modern/postmodern art mixed with found imagery on the net. Its always cool to see other people's work and hear them talk about it, I think that's why I like this forum. I think that's part of the reason why I want to go back to school. And the research part is always fun.

Good Luck!

and keep making your work.

Hi guys. I am thinking about applying to some MFA painting/ studio art programs for 2016.  

I would not mind getting into sculpture/new media to explore ideas.

IUB/UC Davis/ Portland State University/UW-Milwaukee/SIU/SIUe/Cornell/U Illinois/maybe UNCG with a few others I cant think of listing. PDX state is prob super competitive though. I want good funding from state schools. I got some dream schools why not?

I am also thinking about applying to some Art Therapy programs too.  

. Portland seems more like a Time art/performance community which is cool too. Not a big painter town. Though there are some great painters here.

If I dont get in its fine too just more studio time and growth

Let me know what you think.

www.ianchristopherwilson.com 

I am interested in using portraiture to get a particular idea across. The concept I am interested in exploring is distortion. Culturally we find distortion or disfigurement in film, tv, social networking sites, art history, and popular magazines. 

By exploring distortion through portraiture I convey my personal feelings and experiences in reality. In other words I put myself into my work. Doing this allows myself to explore the concept and use it to convey new meanings. 

Lately, I have been drawing from Internet images to explore new themes.

Hi ICW. I really like your 'Chartered Trips' series. I can see (by your painting style) how you would be interested in moving towards sculpture. 

Those are nice paintings...you should check out  sara awad's work http://www.sarahawad.com/

wow. your prints are so beautiful. I love embossed work, and so I really appreciated that series. I also think you have a really strong painting style. definitely a great portfolio, I think you should feel good. 

wow. your prints are so beautiful. I love embossed work, and so I really appreciated that series. I also think you have a really strong painting style. definitely a great portfolio, I think you should feel good. 

Those are nice paintings...you should check out  sara awad's work http://www.sarahawad.com/

Thanks dugggs and icw! Nice to hear after not getting an interview request from SAIC today. Sara Awad's work is amazing and I was not aware of it! Very relevant! 

Thanks dugggs and icw! Nice to hear after not getting an interview request from SAIC today. Sara Awad's work is amazing and I was not aware of it! Very relevant! 

I didn't get an interview request today either. I feel miserable. im still waiting to hear from their low res program. but really disheartened. 

Hi ICW. I really like your 'Chartered Trips' series. I can see (by your painting style) how you would be interested in moving towards sculpture. 

Thanks! I named the titles after punk/alt rock songs!