Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

I suppose it's time to stop lurking for a moment to say that I also was admitted to Texas A&M. Got the email this morning. I am super excited, as it was one of my top two choices and the first response I've gotten. My other top choice is UCR, but I haven't heard anything from them, so... :-/

I suppose it's time to stop lurking for a moment to say that I also was admitted to Texas A&M. Got the email this morning. I am super excited, as it was one of my top two choices and the first response I've gotten. My other top choice is UCR, but I haven't heard anything from them, so... :-/

Congratulations! From what I hear, College Station is a lot of fun!

Congrats!

Hey everyone!  I was sadly rejected from Berkeley Rhetoric, which, as some of you know, means I'm officially going to be pursuing a degree in political theory--hopefully at a program which is extremely amenable to interdisciplinary and literary work.  I have some wonderful options already and am still waiting on five other decisions.   All in all, academia has been good to me this week.  I think I'll probably take a break from this message board while I process it all, so I just wanted to say thank you for the support.  Congratulations and sympathy all around, as the case may be.  Keep reading  ;) .

Congratulations to all the admits!

Hey everyone!  I was sadly rejected from Berkeley Rhetoric, which, as some of you know, means I'm officially going to be pursuing a degree in political theory--hopefully at a program which is extremely amenable to interdisciplinary and literary work.  I have some wonderful options already and am still waiting on five other decisions.   All in all, academia has been good to me this week.  I think I'll probably take a break from this message board while I process it all, so I just wanted to say thank you for the support.  Congratulations and sympathy all around, as the case may be.  Keep reading  ;) .

Best of luck to you and congrats on your admissions -- looks like you've snagged some solid admits to make up for the Cal rejection!

Best news possible! The director of Clemson's RCID program emailed me today with an offer of admittance with a GTAship! My first choice! 

Out of upvotes for the day, but congratulations!! Clemson is such a great school, and you can't beat SC hospitality :) 

Congrats to the weekend admits!!

And joining in on the rejections: Received my first rejection from Michigan today. No hard feelings though---POI wrote me the nicest rejection mail ever (if those are still possible!), and mentioned that it was more of a fit issue than my materials. 

Here's to another week of waiting for good news!

And joining in on the rejections: Received my first rejection from Michigan today. No hard feelings though---POI wrote me the nicest rejection mail ever (if those are still possible!), and mentioned that it was more of a fit issue than my materials. 

Fancypants, I'm so sorry to hear that. Was that University of Michigan or Michigan State? I'm anxiously waiting on University of Michigan...

Edited to Add: Sorry, ignore this question. I just checked the results board--looks like it was a different program. 

Edited by lo.lee.ta

Wow I'm so glad for everyone! I haven't heard from UCR still so I'm starting to suspect bad news there, but I'm so glad for everyone and I know it isn't over still so hey.

OMG!! UC Davis!! Can't believe it! Never discount a phone call on Sunday afternoon!

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Sorry to hear about Michigan. Sadly, thus far this has been me not being anxious, but the countdown to full on anxiety is beginning... Tomorrow kicks off the heart of notification season! :-/

Sorry to hear about Michigan. Sadly, thus far this has been me not being anxious, but the countdown to full on anxiety is beginning... Tomorrow kicks off the heart of notification season! :-/

Yes, I thought I was anxious before, but I just had not been open to the idea of what real anxiety is. Now I know.

OMG!! UC Davis!! Can't believe it! Never discount a phone call on Sunday afternoon!

I remember Hsuan Hsu called me like at 7pm on a Saturday night.  It was one of my fondest memories.  Who was the phone call from, if you don't mind me asking? 

I've seen some GCers with "implied" rejections from Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley; I've been particularly stunned to hear some of my friends and colleagues who are not on GC say the same. What even is an implied rejection, and how does one calculate such an outcome?

I've seen some GCers with "implied" rejections from Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley; I've been particularly stunned to hear some of my friends and colleagues who are not on GC say the same. What even is an implied rejection, and how does one calculate such an outcome?

I remember reading some past controversy on the notion of an "implied" rejection, but what it boils down to is that when a particular program is known for sending out most or all of its acceptances in a short span of time, and its rejections weeks (or longer) after that, anyone who didn't get an acceptance in that first batch is most likely not going to get an acceptance at all. It's very unscientific, yet for many people (myself included!) it's easier on the psyche to just assume that such a scenario is a rejection, rather than clinging to the combination of faint hope and uncertainty that it might-could-possibly-perhaps be a delayed acceptance.

Again, it's not very scientific. It's more for peace of mind and the avoidance of false hope than anything.

For me personally it's exactly what WT said. I wasn't in the first round of acceptances and so I assume there will be a rejection in my email at some point. It's just for my own sanity so I can focus on the programs that haven't announced anything yet.