Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Congrats, Katla!!

Not to be a downer in any way, shape, or form, but I read a disturbing news article yesterday about U of W's long-term funding. It's something to be cognizant of when you talk to the DGS and other faculty and admin there (and before you accept, obviously!). It's hard to say if this will touch their Ph.D programs or not, but it's not a great sign.

Congratulations!!! What amazing news!

Also congrats to all other new admits that I've missed!

Also, I woke up this morning to an acceptance to UW Madison for Comp Lit, there were literally tears of joy and relief as I showered, had breakfast and cycled to work. Who knew six o'clock could bring so much joy?

That's amazing, Katia. Congrats on the acceptance!!!

Keep in mind, too, that since this thread is geared specifically toward folks focusing in literature/composition, you're probably not going to get the best information for grad programs on Social Work here. Maybe I'm being presumptuous, but I bet that most folks posting here can't give you the details about how programs in your field work. I know that I certainly can't.  I would imagine that grad programs in social work put less emphasis on GPA than other programs do. As I believe Wyatt's Torch mentioned, your field experience will probably be a big plus in a potential application.

This is all to say that you shouldn't necessarily be dismayed by what you're hearing on this thread. I agree with others that your best bet is to contact someone in the department and explain your situation, and ask them to be frank about your chances. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. Who would you recommend that I email?

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. Who would you recommend that I email?

Either the Director of Graduate Studies for the program or the admission folks at the larger School of Social Work. If you're still leaning towards social work at CSU Long Beach, this page might be helpful: http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/social-work/contact/ContactUs.html

Either the Director of Graduate Studies for the program or the admission folks at the larger School of Social Work. If you're still leaning towards social work at CSU Long Beach, this page might be helpful: http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/social-work/contact/ContactUs.html

In addition, I'd certainly start posting and reading in the Social Work sub-forum: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/65-social-work/

Congratulations!!! What amazing news!

Also congrats to all other new admits that I've missed!

Also, I woke up this morning to an acceptance to UW Madison for Comp Lit, there were literally tears of joy and relief as I showered, had breakfast and cycled to work. Who knew six o'clock could bring so much joy?

Congrats to you and all the other admits today!  I ran out of upvotes, but I'm sending a virtual thumbs-up nonetheless :)

I stupidly didn't know about this forum until a few days ago, but wanted to say:

1) What a friendly and supportive group of people--I can think of nothing better during a stressful and often frustrating time!

2) On that note, it's very nice to meet you all.

3) I just got accepted to Duke!

I'm looking forward reading of everyone's successes.

I stupidly didn't know about this forum until a few days ago, but wanted to say:

1) What a friendly and supportive group of people--I can think of nothing better during a stressful and often frustrating time!

2) On that note, it's very nice to meet you all.

3) I just got accepted to Duke!

I'm looking forward reading of everyone's successes.

Congrats on the acceptance! It's a wonderful program!

Thanks everybody :wub: :wub: :wub:

Not to be a downer in any way, shape, or form, but I read a disturbing news article yesterday about U of W's long-term funding. It's something to be cognizant of when you talk to the DGS and other faculty and admin there (and before you accept, obviously!). It's hard to say if this will touch their Ph.D programs or not, but it's not a great sign.

Ah no, not a downer but a realist! it's always best to be aware of potential hazards. The DGS said that they'd be able to offer me a three year package that tends to get extended and he mentioned that new faculty was being hired... But there's no saying how something like this will affect things...

Also, huge congratulations to Duke WilsonWilson!!!

Edited by Katla

ramus: Do you know how this person found out about the UMass acceptance? My app status still says "applied."

I just happened to catch his news as a status update on Facebook, which didn't specify how he heard. I double checked the results from previous years, and they don't seem to have a consistent method of notifying folks. Can't hurt to keep those phones on and within reach, though. 

Just heard from a guy in my cohort that he got into UMass-Amherst. I'd imagine other calls/emails will go out shortly. 

You are a seer, sir.

Congrats to all UMass admits :D

So I have this theory that now that I have one rejection out of the way, every other rejection that comes in is going to sting a little less, and I'm going to be able to remain positive and optimistic that one of my sixteen programs will come through and that I am still a val....bwahahahahahaha, who am I kidding? My psyche is TOTALLY going to crash and burn!

Congrats to all the new admits from Duke and UMass!!! :)

I have yet to receive any news from Duke. Has anyone not heard from them? Do you know if the notification emails are sent all at once or over a period of time? Alphabetically I am near the end of the alphabet.