Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Same. Just keep swimming, I guess. :(

Actually, I don't know how to check my admissions decision? I don't see a button indicating the "Graduate Application Decision Status" or anything. My application just says "Submitted." Am I missing something? I mean, I know its a rejection, but I want to see if for myself (I just got home from work and was only able to see the email earlier).

ETA: Nevermind, the email link was just taking me to the wrong site.  :wacko:

Edited by jhefflol

I've often wondered about this. Would you be willing to elaborate? If not publicly, I'd be grateful for a PM.

I have no problem sharing, but obviously I'll omit details. Basically, academia is no different from any other business. It actually might be slightly better. But there are still good old boy networks and systems of privilege. Almost everyone I know who got into a top program has a "back story"--an advisor who advocated for them, a connection, invaluable advice from someone on the inside. I have a friend whose statement of purpose was written for her by someone at her target program. (She was admitted, obviously.) I have another friend who discovered that her application was actually never even read at her dream program--despite the fact that she far surpassed all minimum standards regarding grades and test scores.

Sometimes people do get lucky. I have certainly gotten lucky in my own career, especially regarding certain fellowships and other opportunities. But I find it very important--and humbling--to remember just how precarious success in this field can be. That's why I think it's just really necessary not to congratulate or beat yourself up too much about the outcome here. People who get in often talk about their writing samples as being the key to their success. No doubt this is true, but for every person who gets accepted, there are probably 15 or 20 who had equally compelling writing samples.

If it's any consolation, with Penn State and Northwestern results coming in, that means I've had three implied rejections in 24 hours. Not fun. :(

While Penn State is at the top of my list, I am usualy the first person to jump on the implicit rejection bandwagon. However, I would say hold off on PSU for now at least. Historically, their acceptances come out over a period of WEEKS, and they don't send out rejections until April... if at all...

Edit: removed my request being that it appears I missed the answer!

Edited by In hac spe vivo.

I have no problem sharing, but obviously I'll omit details. Basically, academia is no different from any other business. It actually might be slightly better. But there are still good old boy networks and systems of privilege. Almost everyone I know who got into a top program has a "back story"--an advisor who advocated for them, a connection, invaluable advice from someone on the inside. I have a friend whose statement of purpose was written for her by someone at her target program. (She was admitted, obviously.) I have another friend who discovered that her application was actually never even read at her dream program--despite the fact that she far surpassed all minimum standards regarding grades and test scores.

Sometimes people do get lucky. I have certainly gotten lucky in my own career, especially regarding certain fellowships and other opportunities. But I find it very important--and humbling--to remember just how precarious success in this field can be. That's why I think it's just really necessary not to congratulate or beat yourself up too much about the outcome here. People who get in often talk about their writing samples as being the key to their success. No doubt this is true, but for every person who gets accepted, there are probably 15 or 20 who had equally compelling writing samples.

Thanks for this! It makes me feel better, especially about the WS. The place where I was accepted is one of three programs that received the writing sample I sent them. The other twelve got something completely different. That being said, I would be okay with 14 rejections having that one acceptace in the bag, provided, of course, funding comes through (which I won't know for another couple of weeks).

FWIW: My writing sample from the 2012-2013 app cycle was accepted for publication last December without edits, and I was 0/12 in that round...

I have another friend who discovered that her application was actually never even read at her dream program--despite the fact that she far surpassed all minimum standards regarding grades and test scores.

This is one of my worst fears! How did she know it wasn't read/how could/did this happen? These adcoms can be such assholes.

I have another friend who discovered that her application was actually never even read at her dream program--despite the fact that she far surpassed all minimum standards regarding grades and test scores.

Oh no! :( Back in October, I submitted an application to a school that has ongoing acceptance. Hadn't heard a word from the program - not a word - so I got in touch with them this week. It turns out they lost my application without ever having looked at it. So frustrating!

P.S. Congrats to all the new admits! And hugs and positive energy for those who haven't received admits yet - you are all so wonderful, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next few days will bring you tons of fantastic news. 

I learned this lesson in my undergrad. Department politics aren't the only kinds of politics -- luckily, it's never really held me back (so far). But I do know some people who have been hindered by the "system." I tend to think that being aware of the political/business side of it can prevent you from falling prey to it. At least, to some extent. 

This is one of my worst fears! How did she know it wasn't read/how could/did this happen? These adcoms can be such assholes.

Without giving too many gory details: she inquired about the status of her application to discover she had not advanced beyond the first cut. Now, she had near perfect numbers (and ended up getting accepted to a few very good programs) ... so take a guess why they decided to not forward her application to readers. Was it "basic profile"? Did they already have too many applicants who had connections? Who knows. Maybe it was area of interest. And if that's the case, then these adcoms need to be more upfront if they're not taking applications for a certain area during a given year--like, don't bother applying if you're a medievalist, we already have too many, etc.

now I'm paranoid. apparently the emory interview list was already made by the time someone discovered that I was missing one LOR. although it makes no difference here or there now.

now I'm paranoid. apparently the emory interview list was already made by the time someone discovered that I was missing one LOR. although it makes no difference here or there now.

I'm incredibly paranoid about everything right now as well. Hang in there! sometimes I wonder if checking GC is always such a good idea....

And if that's the case, then these adcoms need to be more upfront if they're not taking applications for a certain area during a given year--like, don't bother applying if you're a medievalist, we already have too many, etc.

First of all, thanks for the insights! I've had a few non-GC conversations about the "insider trading" or "horse trading" that may or may not go on behind the scenes, and your comments mesh well with everything I've heard and/or suspected.

Secondly, with regard to the text I quoted, I think you're absolutely right. It may, in fact, be my biggest actual annoyance about the application process. It's equivalent to applying for a job when you don't know if there's a position available  -- every once in awhile you might get lucky, and they'll want to interview or hire you on merit...but that's a rarity. Yet even this comparison isn't perfect, as an employer will often keep your resume "on file" for when a position comes available...

So yes, a little more transparency in that regard would be nice. It would, of course, mean fewer applicants, which consequently means fewer application fees. Multiply a loss of say, fifty applications across thirty or forty graduate programs, and you start to get into six-figure territory. Presumably more than just a drop in the bucket. I don't want to lay blame at the feet of the almighty dollar, as there are certainly other factors...yet the fact that virtually no graduate admissions process has any sort of transparency is telling.

Having worked in several administrative roles in my life, I can definitely understand it...but from the perspective of an outsider, wanting desperately to get in, its pretty damn frustrating. It's also why casting a wide application net is often encouraged. At this point, my biggest regret is not applying to more programs.

This sort of news is hard to refrain from posting about – I've not received any official communication yet, but in the spirit of conviviality I'll say that I've been accepted into one of the US West coast PhD programs in my signature!  

I was contacted by my POI on Friday evening (I believe I've seen people use this acronym; hope I'm using it correctly).  I think this is a sort of early acceptance situation. Apologies to all for the temporary ambiguity, but I'll be more forthcoming once I get an official email from the school.

This sort of news is hard to refrain from posting about – I've not received any official communication yet, but in the spirit of conviviality I'll say that I've been accepted into one of the US West coast PhD programs in my signature!  

I was contacted by my POI on Friday evening (I believe I've seen people use this acronym; hope I'm using it correctly).  I think this is a sort of early acceptance situation. Apologies to all for the temporary ambiguity, but I'll be more forthcoming once I get an official email from the school.

clapping-gif-17.gif

Congratulations, Childermass! That's fantastic!

I hope your official word comes soon so you fully exhale. ;)

Haha. I'm glad you understood the complexity of the sentiment.

Thanks to all for the congratulations!  It was both relief and quite a bit of excitement, as you may relate.  Along with the email came praise from my POI and committee for my research, and the offer of substantial funding (no numbers as of yet).

Congratulations Childermass!!! What brilliant news.

WT I am so on board with your frustration about the lack of transparency of this whole aplication business. However grim it sounds I'm sure money is part of the issue, which is why I think it's worse if they don't actually read your applic... What exactly does the money go to if not the administrative hassle of our applics.

Edited by Katla

That's awesome!! I'm dying to know which one it is! :D

Either way, it's great news.

Awesome news! Congrats!! 

This is a question I've been debating for the past couple of days: what constitutes an "implied rejection." In reading threads from this time last year, there was much furor over people declaring an "implied rejection" far too early. I agreed last week...but now that I have an official rejection under my belt, and have seen some acceptances to places I applied to (that have yet to update my status or respond etc.), I can't deny that it's tempting to assume rejection. I think it speaks to something psychological: it's easier to cope with something definitive than it is to cope with something tenuous. If I assume that U. of Chicago and Vanderbilt aren't getting back to me, I can just focus on looking forward to the other fourteen programs I applied to, as opposed to nervously wondering about those two.

Still, I'm not going to count them completely out until I hear back from them. It's just that I think the chances are far slimmer than they were already (and they were slim to begin with...)

I'm assuming that Vanderbilt and U Chicago are rejections, too. It's easier "knowing" than being stuck in limbo, even if it's bad news. I feel better knowing for sure that I didn't get into Duke than I did when I was still waiting to hear from them.