Waiting Game--how do you deal with the waiting anxiety?

procedural memory

Ha! that's alright my feelings were the same - yes! others are suffering with me!

I'm waiting to hear back from my government about a full scholarship I applied for. I was accepted to Vanderbilt University for a M.Ed. and everything rides on this scholarship...my country offers few student loans so I basically have two options if I want to attend grad school internationally: 1) get the scholarship, 2) be rich  <_<

I applied since the first week in Feb. and initially the wait was 90 days (ridiculous!)..it's going on 4 months since I sent in my application and no one can give me any indication of how long I have to wait....

so I'm here, trying not to worry...working on plans B, C and D...wondering what the hell my future holds  :unsure:  

Oh wow, that really sucks! I hate long waiting times!! 

I'm waiting my offer for Uni of Sheffield (UK). I really really want it as it's exactly what I want to do and the school is absolutely amazing.

But I do have a good backup plan as well, I have an offer to do MA in basically the same course in Netherlands, so even if I don't get the scholarship, it's going to be ok. It's just that I "rose" to the scholarship offer from a waiting list as the first candidate declined (they had a better offer from somewhere else) and I was the second runner up, so basically they already told me no once and I really don't want to hear it again, haha~  

I also have been given absolutely NO timeline for my waiting time. They were like "Might take a while, but they might also want it to be sorted asap" - not very helpful is it?  :wacko: 

What have you considered as B C and D? 

I just can't concentrate. What do you do to distract yourself?

'm really in need for some awesome tips!  :unsure:

Edited by prinssi12

I'm waiting my offer for Uni of Sheffield (UK). I really really want it as it's exactly what I want to do and the school is absolutely amazing.

But I do have a good backup plan as well, I have an offer to do MA in basically the same course in Netherlands, so even if I don't get the scholarship, it's going to be ok. It's just that I "rose" to the scholarship offer from a waiting list as the first candidate declined (they had a better offer from somewhere else) and I was the second runner up, so basically they already told me no once and I really don't want to hear it again, haha~  

I also have been given absolutely NO timeline for my waiting time. They were like "Might take a while, but they might also want it to be sorted asap" - not very helpful is it?  :wacko: 

please check your messages.

I have sent you a message.

Whenever I feel too weighed down, I deviate my attention to the glaring flaws of democracy. I read, I analyze, I criticize. I also shed a tear or two about the dinosaurs that died some years back :-P Have planned a trip to Djibouti as well, let's see if everything falls into place or not.

That's good that you have other prospects just in case - but isn't the uni in the Netherlands waiting on a response on their offer? do you have a deadline to accept/decline?

As far as distractions go, I work full time so that's one in itself (not nearly a big enough one). My contract ends soon so I'm also on the job hunt in case things don't work academically out for me this year. 

I'm also just spending my time looking at other options for postgrad studies for next year as going to a local university is another choice (but will have to be done for 2016 academic year) - that's much more economically feasible as tuition is 50% subsidized by the government for postgrad programs. I thought I'd try my hand and look internationally but right about now that hopeless feeling is taking over...

I truly hate that my future is not in my hands, I have so little control over what's next it's ridiculous. I have a plan if I get the scholarship and another plan if I don't however I can't do much because right now I'm in limbo!  :(

Whenever I feel too weighed down, I deviate my attention to the glaring flaws of democracy. I read, I analyze, I criticize. I also shed a tear or two about the dinosaurs that died some years back :-P Have planned a trip to Djibouti as well, let's see if everything falls into place or not.

OMG! This was awesome. I srsl should not be this selfish and sometimes think about the poor dinosaurs. Also, Djibouti sound approximately as awesome as Seychelles!  :D

That's good that you have other prospects just in case - but isn't the uni in the Netherlands waiting on a response on their offer? do you have a deadline to accept/decline?

As far as distractions go, I work full time so that's one in itself (not nearly a big enough one). My contract ends soon so I'm also on the job hunt in case things don't work academically out for me this year. 

I'm also just spending my time looking at other options for postgrad studies for next year as going to a local university is another choice (but will have to be done for 2016 academic year) - that's much more economically feasible as tuition is 50% subsidized by the government for postgrad programs. I thought I'd try my hand and look internationally but right about now that hopeless feeling is taking over...

I truly hate that my future is not in my hands, I have so little control over what's next it's ridiculous. I have a plan if I get the scholarship and another plan if I don't however I can't do much because right now I'm in limbo!  :(

What actually happened to me is that I had already accepted the offer from The Netherlands as it was my first choice after the scholarship (and I was told I wouldn't be getting it). So I emailed them asking what should I do in the case I get the scholarship from UK, now that they might be offering it to me. In Netherlands they said that I can keep my place for now and that I should inform them by the end of June whether I'm coming or not, so they can offer the place for someone else. 

So, basically just hoping that they are able to make the decision in the UK by the end of June... 

And don't lose hope! Anything can happen! I refuse to lose hope before I have a letter stating that they still don't want me.  :rolleyes: 

Because really, until then nothing has been set to stone. As my situation proves, sometimes when you've already accepted that you won't be getting funding something great happens and then you have a chance again.  ^_^ 

But yeah, have to agree, not being able to do anything is AWFUL. At least I have THIS much cramming to do for my finals, even if I'm not really concentrating.  :ph34r:

Edited by prinssi12

The Djibouti plan had to be shelved as none in our team speaks French or Arabic :huh: But yeah Seychelles looks good as it speaks English. And Tuvalu will be just splendid! :D

On a serious note, yes, it's always better if you're into a job, preferably full-time. Presently I'm working full-time with a business consultancy, but feel that a masters degree in management sciences is necessary for better opportunities. And since we're eternally fascinated about these 'awesome opprtunities', our attempts to upgrade ourselves never end :unsure: In course of searching for study programs, I found some integrated Ph.D. courses in Germany and decided to apply. I'm ready to accept any offer even without grant, as education is Germany is subsidized. What programs are you applying for, prinssi12?

The Djibouti plan had to be shelved as none in our team speaks French or Arabic :huh: But yeah Seychelles looks good as it speaks English. And Tuvalu will be just splendid! :D

On a serious note, yes, it's always better if you're into a job, preferably full-time. Presently I'm working full-time with a business consultancy, but feel that a masters degree in management sciences is necessary for better opportunities. And since we're eternally fascinated about these 'awesome opprtunities', our attempts to upgrade ourselves never end :unsure: In course of searching for study programs, I found some integrated Ph.D. courses in Germany and decided to apply. I'm ready to accept any offer even without grant, as education is Germany is subsidized. What programs are you applying for, prinssi12?

This forum has become my escape from revision. Loving it! 

Germany is absolutely amazing, lived there for a year (Au-pairing) and recommend it to anyone considering it. The people are just lovely, everything is very organized, so everything moves quickly, and the weather is nice, not too cold (I'm from Finland), too hot (... yeah, I'm form Finland, lol) or too rainy (living in the UK atm <_< )! Whereabouts in Germany are you applying to? :D Berlin, München and Düsseldorf are lovely to live in, but I don't know about schools in these places. Also it's nice as it's "in the middle" of Europe, easy to go around almost anywhere!

How did you get interested in looking into Germany? 

My interests lie in social science and cultural studies - I'm graduating in a month, BA Korean Studies with Japanese, and I applied & have been accepted to:

MA East Asian Studies Research (Korea focus pathway) in The Netherlands.

MA East Asian Studies in Finland. 

MA Social Research + PhD East Asian Studies UK (for this one I'm waiting for a full scholarship decision from the British Economic and Social Research Council, and I've been told it looks promising, but is not set to stone obviously, so I'm going crazy over what they'll decide as if I don't get the scholarship, I'm going to Netherlands). 

Finland? Well, once I tapped the Weather Channel app, navigated to Helsinki, and found the minimum temperature at -22 degree celsius. Closed the app quickly as I could feel my fingers going numb :o Here where I stay in India, the minimum I've seen lately is 12 deg celsius. During the summer months, we enjoy the 41 deg heat wave. And the insane humidity makes the weather all the more pleasant. Visit our country anytime from April to July to feel the magic :P

I've applied to Goethe Frankfurt and Uni Mannheim for the Ph.D. programs in management. The other applications are for Master's programs, to OVGU Magdeburg, Uni Siegen and Goethe. Considering your course of study, you could've availed yourself of many quality options in Germany, especially at Goethe. It offers a master's degree course in East Asian studies. But Netherlands is excellent both as a study destination and a place to stay. I've never been there but the tulip-field-and-windmill wallpapers are absolutely amazing!

Still, I think you won't have to go there, because you'll get the scholarship and study right in the UK! All the very best. And being a Yoda follower, I'd say "May the force be with you" :)

Finland? Well, once I tapped the Weather Channel app, navigated to Helsinki, and found the minimum temperature at -22 degree celsius. Closed the app quickly as I could feel my fingers going numb :o Here where I stay in India, the minimum I've seen lately is 12 deg celsius. During the summer months, we enjoy the 41 deg heat wave. And the insane humidity makes the weather all the more pleasant. Visit our country anytime from April to July to feel the magic :P

I've applied to Goethe Frankfurt and Uni Mannheim for the Ph.D. programs in management. The other applications are for Master's programs, to OVGU Magdeburg, Uni Siegen and Goethe. Considering your course of study, you could've availed yourself of many quality options in Germany, especially at Goethe. It offers a master's degree course in East Asian studies. But Netherlands is excellent both as a study destination and a place to stay. I've never been there but the tulip-field-and-windmill wallpapers are absolutely amazing!

Still, I think you won't have to go there, because you'll get the scholarship and study right in the UK! All the very best. And being a Yoda follower, I'd say "May the force be with you" :)

Haha, this reminds me of something I heard awhile back...

Why were Star Wars Episodes 4, 5, and 6 released before 1, 2, and 3?

Because in charge of scheduling Yoda was.

Anyway, thanks! I really hope so too!

Good luck to you too with the German programs! I know you can do it~  ;)

It's Monday. What does that mean?
That the possibility of actually getting an answer today is there. Something MIGHT turn up. No idea how realistic it is to wait an answer on Monday. Or this week even. I kept waiting last week as well. I keep thinking it might be "any day now". I wish it was weekend forever, so I could keep lulling myself to the certainty that it will not be today, as people don't work today. More reasons to love the weekend. I'm going crazy. Yay!  :blink: 

*listening I want you (She's So Heavy)  - The Beatles*

It's Monday. What does that mean?

That the possibility of actually getting an answer today is there. Something MIGHT turn up. No idea how realistic it is to wait an answer on Monday. Or this week even. I kept waiting last week as well. I keep thinking it might be "any day now". I wish it was weekend forever, so I could keep lulling myself to the certainty that it will not be today, as people don't work today. More reasons to love the weekend. I'm going crazy. Yay!  :blink: 

*listening I want you (She's So Heavy)  - The Beatles*

Looks like our anxieties are aligned as well  :lol: It's been a horribly anxious day for me - checked my inbox a few dozen times in between work, messed up my schedule, the to-be-done list got longer, and deadlines are snarling at the door. In short, screwed myself up wondefully. And it's literally 'any day now', because I've seen admission results being sent on weekends as well. The admissions office said results will be announced by mid-June. How many millenia till then? :wacko:

Looks like our anxieties are aligned as well  :lol: It's been a horribly anxious day for me - checked my inbox a few dozen times in between work, messed up my schedule, the to-be-done list got longer, and deadlines are snarling at the door. In short, screwed myself up wondefully. And it's literally 'any day now', because I've seen admission results being sent on weekends as well. The admissions office said results will be announced by mid-June. How many millenia till then? :wacko:

Mid-June? It's only 3 weeks maximum then, at least they didn't say July! Stay positive! It will come. 

Easy for me to say as... Mine came today. It actually came and it is a yes. Full funding. I'm over the moon! *happy dance*

I'm cheering for you all the way, so when it actually comes, do not forget to update me! :) 

Also, if you want some good "waiting it out"-music check the thread for some awesome music, makes you feel better~ *fingers crossed*

Whoa, that's grand news! Heartiest congrats and wishing you all the very best for the exciting and eventful time ahead. See, my prediction has been so flawless ;) And thanks a ton for the good wishes, I really need it now. And yes music, along with Hangman and Sudoku, will fill up the tensed moments of my leisure. Keep dancing, be awesome always :)

• 8 months later...

I am absolutely losing my mind right now. I know that all we can do is sit with this feeling but I feel like I am preemptively depressed about the rejection I might have to face. I don't know why I do this to myself. I know I have a competitive application but I have always had a bit of imposters syndrome. I'm a high school teacher and I am trying so hard to just focus on my kids and the work. I'm telling you, friends, if I were not trying to teach these children I would be loaded up on anxiety meds.  Their decision cannot come quickly enough. Unless it is a rejection. Lord, I need to distract myself! 

Edited by Nicole Gilbert

14 minutes ago, Nicole Gilbert said:

I am absolutely losing my mind right now. I know that all we can do is sit with this feeling but I feel like I am preemptively depressed about the rejection I might have to face. I don't know why I do this to myself. I know I have a competitive application but I have always had a bit of imposters syndrome. I'm a high school teacher and I am trying so hard to just focus on my kids and the work. I'm telling you, friends, if I were not trying to teach these children I would be loaded up on anxiety meds.  Their decision cannot come quickly enough. Unless it is a rejection. Lord, I need to distract myself! 

Everyone in this process feels the same like you, especially when we haven't got any acceptance yet. Just try to find something to distract you from waiting, such as learning a new instrument? Good luck to us with the application process. If I did not focus on doing sth, I would be binge eating :( ahhhhhh

8 hours ago, Nicole Gilbert said:

I'm also teacher, waiting on hearing back from a PhD in Curriculum and Instruction. Thankfully I've had good days, but one class yesterday was awful. I feel extra detached from my students and it's hard to care, and I feel bad about that considering I'm going into the field. I think part of it is that I teach a language, and most of my work is getting kids into the next year. But now since I won't be there next year, it's hard to care about them continuining! I've already been accepted into my "safety" school (took only 2 days to get accepted because I got my MAT there and they know me), but I'm really waiting on my #1 choice! This website is a blessing and a curse. Good luck to everyone. Ive really been enjoying seeing everyone else in my position. Not schadenfreude... Just co-misery!

I completely feel you on all of it. I teach English in a priority Title One in Atlanta. It is an extremely difficult environment, and I am constantly exposed to so much hardship and tragedy. There are so many behavior issues and ridiculous loads of paperwork to justify all of our lessons, our data, parent contact, etc. It is overwhelming on my best of days. I love teaching and I love my students; I still believe in this work but I am burnt out at this point. If the actually teaching were even 50% of the job I could probably hang for another year. I am so afraid I won't get in and I'll be back here next year. I just can't. I am so ready to work on change on a systemic level.

Good luck getting into your dream school!

3 hours ago, Nicole Gilbert said:

I completely feel you on all of it. I teach English in a priority Title One in Atlanta. It is an extremely difficult environment, and I am constantly exposed to so much hardship and tragedy. There are so many behavior issues and ridiculous loads of paperwork to justify all of our lessons, our data, parent contact, etc. It is overwhelming on my best of days. I love teaching and I love my students; I still believe in this work but I am burnt out at this point. If the actually teaching were even 50% of the job I could probably hang for another year. I am so afraid I won't get in and I'll be back here next year. I just can't. I am so ready to work on change on a systemic level.

Good luck getting into your dream school!

Nicole, I can really feel what you're feeling. I'm also in an urban low achieving school district in the South. I love teaching but after 4 years the burnout has set in, especially in the last few weeks, all focused around discipline issues, student lack of effort, and school/district problems. I really do care about education and I want to change things. I love curriculum and teaching and planning, but everything else SUCKS so bad, and we just try to "shut our doors and teach."

If you are not accepted, try not to let it get to you. Another year "in the trenches" is not so fun for us as people, but amazing for us as teachers. I feel strengthened by the type of students I have compared to some of my colleagues in better districts. People like you who know the hardships are the people who should make the changes! Hang in there!

@Nicole Gilbert and @seaweed sheets also a teacher here, not primary school but from a low achieving/low SES district in the South...without teachers like y'all I'm pretty sure I would not have made it to where I am today (if that helps at all :P). 

The wait has been very stressful, although there are some ways of combating it––drinking plenty of water and tea can actually help, and not consuming too much caffeine. Learning a new hobby or picking up an old one such as knitting, playing an instrument, drawing, writing, playing with animals, gardening, cooking, etc.; even catching up on TV shows or movies. I've found doing something that takes both my mind and body, like cooking, works best as a distraction.

And each day, I force myself to write down 5 good things that happened in my day, and 5 things for which I'm grateful. At the end of the day, it can be helpful to have a bit of positivity when I'm trying to sleep.

Hi guys! Fellow teacher here from Texas. I applied to UNT's (University of North Texas) PhD program in Curriculum and Instruction and was accepted with no prior interview, in addition to applying to other area schools. I'm quite certain I will accept UNT's offer based upon research interests and location. The whole month took about a process from the time I applied. I teach 4th grade math/science  and just completed my Master's in Education in C&I. If I can help anyone with advice or questions, please let me know!