Waiting Game--how do you deal with the waiting anxiety?

procedural memory

Two of my schools received my transcript, but can't see the "degree conferred" anywhere.... So I have to resend, and in one case, I'm overnighting another copy for a program who WOULD have been sending out decisions possibly as early as next week!

Ahh, just because it is missing one detail? That sucks.

Well now that the semester has started, I have been occupied with starting research and reading assignments to get ahead in the semester so I won't seem so overwhelmed once I start preparing for comps. 

I'm not coping well with my anxiety and depression right now due to the stress of waiting. I have terrible insomnia and am desperate to just sleep. Not sure if the waiting has affected anyone else physically. I applied to schools that reject a lot and am feeling terrified.

I'm also having similar problems. This waiting game has made me realize how bad my anxiety problems are. I try to stay away from the computer to not check my email and app statuses, but it's hard when I work on a computer all day! 

I actually set Page Monitor to perform checks regularly in the background, and to display an alert and play a sound if there's anything new. Might help?

I didn't know this was an option! Tried to find it in the settings a while ago and gave up

I didn't know this was an option! Tried to find it in the settings a while ago and gave up

Right click the app, go into Options, and set "Check interval". You can also select "advanced" and further specify which alerts you'd like. It's definitely helped me stop checking the board or clicking the app to manually refresh. 

I want something to check but I don't even have anything left to check. Give me a application play-by-play status page or something, people!

I was just telling someone that a play-by-play page would be PERFECT!!!

I have a question for everyone: are your status web pages actually showing any progression? All of mine still just say "submitted." Is anyone else seeing any changes? (I'm really asking if it's worth it to keep checking those pages or if I should just ignore them.)

Other than that, I'm getting back in the swing of work. I asked my boss (who wrote me a rec letter and helped me with my SOP), if I still had a place with him "if this application round should prove less than fruitful." He said "that's not going to happen."

I tentatively said "well, um, but just in case.."

He cried out "we are thinking GOOD THOUGHTS!"

I think he's anxious too.

I have a question for everyone: are your status web pages actually showing any progression? All of mine still just say "submitted." Is anyone else seeing any changes? (I'm really asking if it's worth it to keep checking those pages or if I should just ignore them.)

Other than that, I'm getting back in the swing of work. I asked my boss (who wrote me a rec letter and helped me with my SOP), if I still had a place with him "if this application round should prove less than fruitful." He said "that's not going to happen."

I would be all like...

O_O

P.S

I was so shocked by your advisor I forgot to answer the question! Mine all still say "submitted" or "complete". 

Edited by Gvh

Yeah, one of my letter writers said she's sure I'll have multiple acceptances to choose from, and that kind of expectation just adds to my anxiety.

I'm not monitoring the application sites. One of mine changed from "submitted" to "complete and ready for review" once they added my transcripts and GRE to the file (within a couple of days). The others just say submitted.

To answer the question about application status: For me it depends on the school. A few of mine say something like sent to the department for review and others just say submitted.

And I've also had a few people who are convinced I'll have several interviews/offers but that made me nervous though it's helped to hear from somewhere about an interview.

One of mine changed from "Submitted" to "Under departmental/program review"

Just kill me now. Pls... no really, kill me.  :(

We can make it! For us MFA'ers it somehow feels even worse knowing they aren't just judging us as a student, but as a writer. I think that is what really pains me. I almost wish I would have applied to a few English MA programs so I wouldn't feel this way now.

At this point, I'm not dealing very well anymore.  I think it's because people in my discipline have started to hear back, including from some schools to which I applied, and I haven't heard anything at all from anyone.  I'm obsessively refreshing the survey results, checking statuses online, and looking at my phone every time I get an email.  It's quite pathetic.

At this point, I'm not dealing very well anymore.  I think it's because people in my discipline have started to hear back, including from some schools to which I applied, and I haven't heard anything at all from anyone.  I'm obsessively refreshing the survey results, checking statuses online, and looking at my phone every time I get an email.  It's quite pathetic.

Same here. Some people from one of my programs have started receiving rejections.

I refresh my Results Search page monitor about every three minutes, my email every two minutes, and have my phone sitting directly in front of me. 

I've also very deliberately stopped talking about it with friends and coworkers. They're all getting sick of my constant prattle about it. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

Not hearing ANYTHING is maddening.

I mean, I know that at this point "no news is good news" and that as soon as I get the first inevitable rejection I'll look with fondness back on this time when all possibilities were open and the world was my oyster ... but that doesn't quell the anxiety of the unknown. 

I am not coping well with the waiting anxiety at all. I'm currently waiting to hear back from a program for which I interviewed a week and a half ago. I know for sure that the decisions are coming out this week. In a normal time scale, 4 days is nothing, but in "hopeful PhD student" time, 4 days seems like an agonising eternity. I've already overanalysed my interviews to death and have pretty much convinced myself I need to brace for a rejection. Funnily enough, right after the interviews I felt they'd actually gone alright. I was even quite happy that I had felt relaxed enough to share a few laughs with my first interviewer. Now after reading some posts on GradCafe, I'm starting to think that was a huge mistake because the other applicants probably used all their time convincing their interviewers why they were great. And all I've got going for me is... I'm a good conversationalist?  :unsure: 

Also, anyone have any definitive answers to what it means when a prof says: "All the best!"? 

Hey rbear, for what it's worth, I think establishing a good rapport with your poi is hugely important. They're looking for people with whom they'll ostensibly spend the next five years, and be a colleague potentially forever. I think the fact you shared a few laughs bodes very well for your chances! These profs are human, they're not automatons.

Edit: also, I agree that 4 days is an eternity during this waiting purgatory!!

Edited by grad_wannabe

They already have your application, why would they care about you selling yourself via credentials at that point? If there was anything not on your application worth talking about, then it would have been on your application. Many schools are looking for "fit" at the interviews. Being a good conversationalist sounds perfect, since that means you are a person that the professor might want to be around for 5 years or whatever. I think this is more true for smaller interview pools. If it was a school flying out 40 people for 5 slots then maybe it's a different story.

lassitude is my middle name. trauma has sunk in to the point where numbness is at one with anxiety. I don't know if alcohol would cure this. or some other drug. no alcohol today. relying on other sedatives :unsure: