Do AdComs Google Applicants????

Any thoughts? I've always wondered if they Google applicants or view Academia.edu pages?  If so, are you worried?

Seriously though - not really. I think it's important to vaguely professionalize your Google search anyways - and you can do that with Academia pages or even LinkedIn if you're looking for a more traditional way. Most of my friends (myself included) altered our Facebook profiles and other social media to not link directly to our names (whether that be by using your alternate parent's last name if applicable, or a pseudonym) when we applied to graduate schools/professional schools/started to enter the 'real world'. If you're concerned, now is probably the appropriate time to change your Instagram or Twitter handle so that you can maintain your personal space.

If you're worried or a bit nervous, it's better to be safe than sorry, and deleting your MySpace account from grade 8 is probably going to be beneficial anyways, whether you end up accepting a PhD program or not.

Funnily enough, I just read an article in the Chronicle earlier today about a similar topic: how professors can take control of their digital identity.

I have the misfortune of being just old enough that I was a teenager at the dawn of the Internet age, and as a result, some unfortunate items of "juvenilia" poetry still exist when you Google my name, as do reviews of a certain progressive rock band, and a few other oddly search-popular things. I always found that posting under my own name "kept me honest," so to speak...so while there's certainly nothing damning out there, there's obviously stuff that doesn't really say anything about the 2015 me. Fortunately there is more relevant material out there too, so it (hopefully) all balances out.

Meh, I tried Googling myself and apparently there's someone with my exact name studying English at Kent State. Other than that, they'll find out that I'm on the honor roll and a link to a Prezzi I did as an undergrad called, "What is a Critical Argument?" Gotta love those ed classes. 

My academia.edu profile has been getting some traffic, if that means anything. Emphasis on some here, though, being that only 2/15 programs where I applied have possibly searched for me (and that's assuming that it isn't just some random person in the same city as the university).

Some do. Some have grad students Google you because: delegate tasks that take up valuable committee time. Some don't and it's simply a coincidence that someone located near the town the program is located in found you online. Don't read too much into it, but seriously Google yourself to make sure what could come up isn't horribly inappropriate, e.g. singing Electric Six's "Gay Bar" at karaoke while completely intoxicated (true story - that happened to someone).

At times like this, I am quite glad that I have an extremely, extremely common name, and what's more, it's a semi-famous person's name also. I can't find myself on Google much of the time, even if I Google my name plus things from my past, like universities I've attended.

This might sound like a dumb thing to say, but I've never really understood the significance of the "social media incrimination" fear, so long as, you know, you're not bad mouthing your professors/schools on facebook because "I got an A- and I wanted an A+ and fuck them." I've always been a firm believer that people should have wacky/fun/irreverent things on the internet if they choose to have lives on the net, and almost all of us have some sort of "funny" on the net. Why is this important/incriminating/anathema? Isn't it just another form of elision by professionalization? 

This might sound like a dumb thing to say, but I've never really understood the significance of the "social media incrimination" fear, so long as, you know, you're not bad mouthing your professors/schools on facebook because "I got an A- and I wanted an A+ and fuck them." I've always been a firm believer that people should have wacky/fun/irreverent things on the internet if they choose to have lives on the net, and almost all of us have some sort of "funny" on the net. Why is this important/incriminating/anathema? Isn't it just another form of elision by professionalization? 

It may be another form of elision by professionalization, but that theoretical objection doesn't undermine the practicality of the advice. Which is to say that there are lots of different kinds of people on adcomms/search committees, and not all of them are entirely enlightened or open-minded, and the literature of the job market (especially) is full of deeply discouraging stories about minor reasons that committees found to disqualify specific applicants.

It may be another form of elision by professionalization, but that theoretical objection doesn't undermine the practicality of the advice. Which is to say that there are lots of different kinds of people on adcomms/search committees, and not all of them are entirely enlightened or open-minded, and the literature of the job market (especially) is full of deeply discouraging stories about minor reasons that committees found to disqualify specific applicants.

I mean, totally, from a commonsensical point of view a less-than-responsible Fb profile would make a difference. And, you're right, it takes all kinds on an admissions committee. Perhaps I would react differently if I had anything other than a Tumblr...

Let me hasten to add: I'm 100% with you on the theoretical side. It's absurd that a profession that celebrates intellectual freedom has some within it that are so terribly picky about minor issues of self-presentation and decorum. It's like the ideal of intellectual freedom, for these people, only applies to those who are only already in the club.

There was a good post about one's "digital identity" on the Chronicle's Vitae site (which you should all be checking since that's where jobs are posted and it's never too soon to look at jobs): https://chroniclevitae.com/news/854-how-to-maintain-your-digital-identity-as-an-academic

Funnily enough, I just read an article in the Chronicle earlier today about a similar topic: how professors can take control of their digital identity.

There was a good post about one's "digital identity" on the Chronicle's Vitae site (which you should all be checking since that's where jobs are posted and it's never too soon to look at jobs): https://chroniclevitae.com/news/854-how-to-maintain-your-digital-identity-as-an-academic

Great minds... ;)

A couple application rounds ago, I was waitlisted at Purdue. I found this out because the DGS messaged me on GradCafe. We moved the conversation to email, but needless to say, yeah, they poke around on here. 

Also—I didn't end up getting a spot, but it worked out for the better. I ended up doing some other wonderful things for awhile, which enriched my CV, my academic interests, and my life in general. So if things don't go your way this round... you'll be alright. 

This year, however, all of my fingers and toes are crossed..... 

Edited by iwontbelyeveit

I found this out because the DGS messaged me on GradCafe. 

Wow - that is one thorough DGS. 

I would not know what to think if some director/POI messaged on here knowing exactly who I am...

..I guess I'd be impressed!

Edited by Gvh

A couple application rounds ago, I was waitlisted at Purdue. I found this out because the DGS messaged me on GradCafe. We moved the conversation to email, but needless to say, yeah, they poke around on here. 

Also—I didn't end up getting a spot, but it worked out for the better. I ended up doing some other wonderful things for awhile, which enriched my CV, my academic interests, and my life in general. So if things don't go your way this round... you'll be alright. 

This year, however, all of my fingers and toes are crossed..... 

How did the DGS even identify you on GC? I'm just curious what would prompt a DGS to message someone via Gradcafe...

How did the DGS even identify you on GC? I'm just curious what would prompt a DGS to message someone via Gradcafe...

I wondered the same thing. I think it was based on my (fairly specific) interests on my profile, as I had posted a question along the lines of "has anyone heard back from Purdue?" He just sent me a message saying "This is the Purdue DGS. Could you email me at _____ about your application?" From there he told me that they liked my application and I was high up on the waitlist. 

I wondered the same thing. I think it was based on my (fairly specific) interests on my profile, as I had posted a question along the lines of "has anyone heard back from Purdue?" He just sent me a message saying "This is the Purdue DGS. Could you email me at _____ about your application?" From there he told me that they liked my application and I was high up on the waitlist. 

That's crazy! I'd be so startled if that happened to me.

Thanks for sharing this.

This is so crazy. I think I'd be a little paranoid if I was contacted by someone official through here. I mean, I guess I understand that we might be googled etc, and that there's a chance of identification even if we write under pen names, but my email is on my application. If I wanted them to acknowledge my GC (or anywhere else) presence on GC I'd have written it in my application. 

That's absolutely nuts! I'd be so skeptical that it actually was Purdue, but I guess kudos to the department for reaching out.