Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

The funding is for graduate school so you can't accept it before you are actually enrolled in school. 

That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying!

I was just wait listed for the M.Ed. Counselling Psychology program at OISE. Anyone have any insight on the chances of getting in off the wait list? The letter said that they can't divulge where I am on the list. Arrrgh!

I was just wait listed for the M.Ed. Counselling Psychology program at OISE. Anyone have any insight on the chances of getting in off the wait list? The letter said that they can't divulge where I am on the list. Arrrgh!

I think this differs year to year. Some years more applicants competing for spots in the program than other years. Good luck! 

So, I was just extended an offer to OISE clinical and counseling. I was not given an interview and had not heard anything back until today. So I had already accepted at Ryerson. Any insight into the comparison of these two programs? Did I do the right thing? Haha

Nice! Not sure how they compare aside from Ryerson being more CBT focused and OISE integrative. Also have heard Ryerson is  a more research-heavy focused program while OISE is less so. 

I need help!

I am not sure if I want to get a PhD  in clinical psychology or social work. I've currently been accepted into both programs. Both programs will take me 6 years to complete (2 years for masters, 4 years for doctorate).

I am really interested in research, and would really like my education to position me to be a well versed researcher. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

I need help!

I am not sure if I want to get a PhD  in clinical psychology or social work. I've currently been accepted into both programs. Both programs will take me 6 years to complete (2 years for masters, 4 years for doctorate).

I am really interested in research, and would really like my education to position me to be a well versed researcher. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

It depends on the institution and the nature of the programs that you are accepted into but generally clinical psychology is focused on individual intervention and social work is focused on community intervention. 

So you should think about what you would like to do AFTER you get your PhD. 

• 4 months later...

Aw! well good luck, you might want to consider expanding your school choices to include less competitive schools as well or have a backup plan just incase!

I'm doing the exact opposite haha. Applying only to profs who match my research interest and they're "top" schools too! lol. safe to say the chances of me getting in aren't high but .. here we are :P

I've been search of "safety schools" but there aren't any good matches for my career path in schools that are "easier" to get into... Who would take me on anyway if they aren't a good match for interest? *shrug* just my 2 cents...

I've been search of "safety schools" but there aren't any good matches for my career path in schools that are "easier" to get into... Who would take me on anyway if they aren't a good match for interest? *shrug* just my 2 cents...

You'd be surprise how much leniency supervisors give when they see you are passionate about a specific topic, as long as it 'fits' in even the most loose sense within their general scope of research they are generally okay with it. You can contact a supervisor who's umbrella research is in the general area of your interests.... it doesn't have to be so specific because then you will rule out a lot of potentials. Likewise, you don't have to outline any concrete or specific research that you want to conduct again as long as it's relevant to what they are doing generally they would be happy to have you (so long as you meet the requirements and you know what your'e talking about and you aren't just saying 'everything' when they ask what your research interests are etc. etc.). I mean of course there are exceptions but in my experience it hasn't been the case... I'm in a cohort of 9 and 6 of them (including myself) are doing things something very different than our supervisors research however, it's within the scope very generally.. one girl is researching terrorism and her supervisor studies sexual offenders, another is researching evolutionary psychology in cognition and her supervisor studies sexual dysfunctions in couples another is researching moral development and supervisor studies learning disabilities and adhd.. I myself am interested in studying the radicalization process and my supervisor studies trauma therapy in immigrants.. I'm just saying don't box yourself in just because it doesn't map on perfectly or even mostly to what you are specifically interested in.. supervisors like it when students have flexibility but not so much that they have no interests at all but not too little that you are stubborn.