Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

Only applied to 2 Canadian programs of my 9 applications. Cognitive Neuroscience at Western and Cognitive Science at McMaster. I've visited both and regardless of whether I attend, I've built some long-lasting relationships and opened up dialogues on future research collaborations (one of which will be beginning this Spring). These are exciting times!!

I applied to York and Queen's both in clinical psychology, and 5 other schools in the US... My top choices are in the US although I applied to York and Queen's as my POIs are doing some pretty exciting research in my focus area!

Ohhh hello and good luck to all you fellow Canadians!

I've applied to UofT, York, and WLU for cog/dev psych.

Are you guys going to apply for OGS?

Hello! I wish you all good luck too. I'll be applying. I am just starting preparing.

Ohhh hello and good luck to all you fellow Canadians!

I've applied to UofT, York, and WLU for cog/dev psych.

Are you guys going to apply for OGS?

Hello everyone! I am new to gradcafe and excited to see my fellow Canadians in the same boat as me :) I applied to 7 schools!

Clinical:

UTSC

Western

Counselling:

UofT OISE

Developmental:

York

Queens

Ryerson (Psychological Science-Lifespan Development/Clinical)

Laurier

I was planning to apply for OGS, but one LOR dropped out and couldnt do them for me :( But still ended up applying for OGS for Ryerson and Queen's since they dont require LORs). I was able to apply for SSHRC CGS-M though!

I have also applied to CIHR, since my goal is to do a clinical trial.

Oh good luck! I have applied to CIHR CGS-M... but I think I made a mistake and should have applied to NSERC. I proposed testing people with ADHD, and was informed that anything with clinical populations should be in CIHR, but when I looked at previous proposals in NSERC, there were some about ADHD ><;; ...  anyways, I hope we both get the funding!

Eek sorry to hear that, but I'm glad RU and Queen's OGS process allows you to apply for it without the LOR. I'm a RU alumni btw! The profs there are really nice ^^ Feel free to ask me about RU if you have any questions! I didn't live in the area so I can't help in that aspect, but yeah pretty much anything else!

Thanks nuih!

I found applying for CGS-M pretty difficult myself. It is my first time applying and I was confused between CIHR and SSHRC and asked some grad students about it. They said to go for SSHRC because they have more of it to give away than CIHR, so I tried to shape my proposed research to SSHRC standards!

US citizen applying to Canadian programs...(I know, it's not very common).

U of T (Biology and Psychology programs. Hoping to get accepted to either!)

UBC (Applied Animal Biology--Animal Welfare)

uWaterloo (Health Systems and Gerontology)

I'm applying more to the lab than the program, which is why the programs are all over the place.

Can't apply to CGS-M, but am applying to OGS.

That's true.

Thanks nuih!

I found applying for CGS-M pretty difficult myself. It is my first time applying and I was confused between CIHR and SSHRC and asked some grad students about it. They said to go for SSHRC because they have more of it to give away than CIHR, so I tried to shape my proposed research to SSHRC standards!

Ryerson started inviting for interviews?

Hello,

Glad to see there's finally a Canadian thread. I applied to Ryerson, UOttawa, Carleton, Regina, UVIC, and Iowa State. I already had my interview at Ryerson and my POI said that the school sends out acceptances at the end of January/the beginning of February.

Good luck! :)

I wasn't invited :( I guess I should cross Ryerson off the list.

Hello,

Glad to see there's finally a Canadian thread. I applied to Ryerson, UOttawa, Carleton, Regina, UVIC, and Iowa State. I already had my interview at Ryerson and my POI said that the school sends out acceptances at the end of January/the beginning of February.

Not necessarily. My husband and I applied to all the same schools, I was interviewed at Ryerson in December and he was just contacted late last week for a interview. I think it depends on your POI's schedule and organizational habits at this point! Good luck!

Yes, Mandy P., there are about 5 people on the results page I have seen receiving interviews for the clinical program at Ryerson.

Hello,

Congrats! Hopefully you recieve some good news! I just received an email invitation for an interview at Ryerson. I did not know they send out acceptances so soon!! Hopefully all goes well...

Do not cross it just yet, as C10H12N2O has said, POIs set their own schedules!

Yes, Mandy P., there are about 5 people on the results page I have seen receiving interviews for the clinical program at Ryerson.

Congrats! Hopefully you recieve some good news! I just received an email invitation for an interview at Ryerson. I did not know they send out acceptances so soon!! Hopefully all goes well...

Congrats to yourself as well! That's what my POI said.. She said not to expect to see anything about acceptances until late Jan or early Feb. : ) Hope your interview goes well: )

Thanks!!!

Not necessarily. My husband and I applied to all the same schools, I was interviewed at Ryerson in December and he was just contacted late last week for a interview. I think it depends on your POI's schedule and organizational habits at this point! Good luck!