Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

Does anyone know whether references at the end count towards the character count in the OGS research proposal by any chance?

They do not.

They do not.

I need to read much more carefully ... just found out that one of my school (wilfred laurier) does count references... and they don't want more than 700 words! Yeeeesh...  @~900 right now... thanks tho, dedi! Glad to know UofT doesn't ><.

For the person who got accepted to Ryerson Experimental, congrats! Do you have any information about the other programs? Did you get contacted by your POI or from the admissions department (phone/email)? Thanks!

Hey Psyc101,

Thanks! What do you mean information about other programs? I got contacted from my POI initially for an interview. The acceptance was through the phone and follow up information through e-mail. 

Hey Psyc101,

Thanks! What do you mean information about other programs? I got contacted from my POI initially for an interview. The acceptance was through the phone and follow up information through e-mail. 

Hey! Congrats on the acceptance! How long after your interview were you accepted? 

I haven't heard anything from Queens experimental yet  :(

Okay good, neither have I. It's nice to know there's someone in the same boat  :) . I did have a lengthy discussion with my POI before I submitted my application though, and I felt it went well so I am trying not to worry. Maybe they are just slow. 

Blackscotch, thank you for the information. It really provides a different kind of perspective do this whole process. I knew funding is the focus for many schools, but I did not know how heavy it was emphasized. Really gets me thinking...

Also, which schools have you applied to for the clinical program and have you heard any news?

You're welcome.

Sorry, I can't reveal where I've applied (one of them is the institution I have a connection to).

I have not heard back as of yet. My quant on the GRE was absolutely horrendous but I did VERY good on analytical and verbal.

Interviews are being held as we speak and will continue into February. Everyone will hear back (either way) by April. If you don't hear back by mid February, I would assume you've been denied admission.

Edited by blackscotch

Okay good, neither have I. It's nice to know there's someone in the same boat  :) . I did have a lengthy discussion with my POI before I submitted my application though, and I felt it went well so I am trying not to worry. Maybe they are just slow. 

I had a pretty good discussion with mine too, so I hope they are just taking their time  :) haha yeah, its nice to know that I'm not the only one anxiously waiting 

I applied to 4 clinical programs (SFU, Saskatchewan, UNB, and Western), and I'm still waiting to hear back. I figure at this point that I'm pretty much out of luck for SFU since the interviews are in less than 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything, but I'm hopeful for the other schools. I'm too chicken to actually check the results though to verify this for myself.

Hmmm you guys, I was asked if I had time to join a faculty and some prospective students for lunch... but I'm already missing a lab meeting that day because I'm testing older adult participants, who are super valuable and  I don't want to risk annoying them by rescheduling, you know? So I apologized to faculty saying that I cannot attend unfortunately, but if she doesn't mind keeping me updated with the details just in case my participants cancel...

I'm wondering if this was the right choice... I will still see her on the day after, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot... this lunch could make a no/maybe to a yes... but...  ugh I don't know >_< what would you guys do?

Hmmm you guys, I was asked if I had time to join a faculty and some prospective students for lunch... but I'm already missing a lab meeting that day because I'm testing older adult participants, who are super valuable and  I don't want to risk annoying them by rescheduling, you know? So I apologized to faculty saying that I cannot attend unfortunately, but if she doesn't mind keeping me updated with the details just in case my participants cancel...

I'm wondering if this was the right choice... I will still see her on the day after, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot... this lunch could make a no/maybe to a yes... but...  ugh I don't know >_< what would you guys do?

I'd say that you did the right thing. It would be very unprofessional, in my opinion, to cancel on the participants, and I feel like the faculty would understand this (it might even make you look better in their eyes).

Just my two cents. 

I'm wondering if this was the right choice...

There's nobody else you can ask to cover? If one of my RA's said "We have these participants and they're my priority, but here's what I was invited to..." I would definitely take those shifts if I could.

I talked to the head of the department at the university I did my undergrad at about this. Essentially he said yes, but change it up a little to meet the OGS guidelines.. I also found that the OGS for clinical applicants is different than the OGS for experimental applicants. For example, the OGS for UOttawa didn't ask  for a research proposal, rather it asked me why I'm interested in that University, why I think I'm a good candidate, &c.

Hm, I'm not sure what OGS application you were filling out but the OGS application for uOttawa Clinical most definitely required a research proposal it said this: "Provide your research/program statement in the space provided (a bibliography is optional and if you chose to include

one it must be included in this space)" But, nonetheless this is accurate, different schools/programs ask different things in their OGS application in terms of what they are looking for.

Still waiting on any status for uOttawa, McGill, uCalgary, and U of T :(

Hey Psyc101,

Thanks C10H12N20! Other programs as in when you heard about your admission into the school, did they say anything about them sending acceptances for all programs? But I am assuming that it was only for you!

You're welcome.

Sorry, I can't reveal where I've applied (one of them is the institution I have a connection to).

I have not heard back as of yet. My quant on the GRE was absolutely horrendous but I did VERY good on analytical and verbal.

Interviews are being held as we speak and will continue into February. Everyone will hear back (either way) by April. If you don't hear back by mid February, I would assume you've been denied admission.

Thanks for the update!

I'd say that you did the right thing. It would be very unprofessional, in my opinion, to cancel on the participants, and I feel like the faculty would understand this (it might even make you look better in their eyes).

Just my two cents. 

Thanks for your input, FacelessMage. It helps to have a second opinion... I won't reschedule!

There's nobody else you can ask to cover? If one of my RA's said "We have these participants and they're my priority, but here's what I was invited to..." I would definitely take those shifts if I could.

I feel bad asking the other RA to miss the lab meeting so that I can go have lunch with people, albeit it's not a lunch with friends, it still feels weird so I decided against asking @_@. But yeah if someone were in my position, I wouldn't mind taking their place unless the grad student/faculty minded...  

Hm, I'm not sure what OGS application you were filling out but the OGS application for uOttawa Clinical most definitely required a research proposal it said this: "Provide your research/program statement in the space provided (a bibliography is optional and if you chose to include

one it must be included in this space)" 

The head of the department C10H12N20 mentioned was probably referring to the part I bolded. WLU also wrote something like that, where you could choose to propose a study or write a statement about the program, answering the why questions C10H12N20 mentioned!

The head of the department C10H12N20 mentioned was probably referring to the part I bolded. WLU also wrote something like that, where you could choose to propose a study or write a statement about the program, answering the why questions C10H12N20 mentioned!

I was! Thank you for clarifying for me! 

Thanks C10H12N20! Other programs as in when you heard about your admission into the school, did they say anything about them sending acceptances for all programs? But I am assuming that it was only for you!

I don't know if they sent acceptances to all the programs. I know that my partner and I received our acceptance on the same day to the experimental Psychology program. Don't know if that information helps you at all!

Does anyone know when the schools hear back from TriCouncil? Just curious 

I think the profs I talked to said April.

And np C10H12N20 ^^!

Does anyone know when the schools hear back from TriCouncil? Just curious 

From the information that I received from my school, CGS-M will be announced April 1 and I am not 100% on OGS, but I believe it is announced in May.