Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

hey everyone,

Just found this thread today. Very helpful to find people in the same boat!

I just got the invitation to the York open house today, did anyone else?

Also, for those people waiting on Queen's, I have not heard anything from them but a friend interviewed with her POI last week, so they may be finished. As for Dal - my POI told me yesterday that applications are still being reviewed and invites have not gone out yet.

Edited by student896

hey everyone,

Hi there! Welcome to the forum :D.

And thanks for sharing! I didn't receive news about York's open house, but I did receive just now an email about the documents in my application. The only thing missing in my application is my official transcript, which the website said it's okay to not send yet, and I think a secretary confirmed this too... but now I'm wondering if I should just mail it in... :S did you send yours?

hey everyone,

Also, for those people waiting on Queen's, I have not heard anything from them but a friend interviewed with her POI last week, so they may be finished. As for Dal - my POI told me yesterday that applications are still being reviewed and invites have not gone out yet.

Hey,

I just got the confirmation email too but no invite. I saw on the results thread that this might not be a good sign. hmm 

Welcome! I also did not receive an invitation for the Open House, but like nuih, i received an email confirming that all my documents have been received. Are you applying for the Master's or Ph.D. program? And if you can share your POI for York and your friend's POI from Queen's, that would be helpful.

And thanks for sharing! I didn't receive news about York's open house, but I did receive just now an email about the documents in my application. The only thing missing in my application is my official transcript, which the website said it's okay to not send yet, and I think a secretary confirmed this too... but now I'm wondering if I should just mail it in... :S did you send yours?

Yes, you had to send in your official transcripts from the beginning. I do not know why the secretary would say that it was not necessary to send it in at the start! I would maybe call the grad admin office to clear things up, but send in your transcripts asap!

Yes, you had to send in your official transcripts from the beginning. I do not know why the secretary would say that it was not necessary to send it in at the start! I would maybe call the grad admin office to clear things up, but send in your transcripts asap!

Ahhh :) oh my goshhh I wish I sent it then instead of thinking that I could save mail money (And it's not even that expensive compared to the actual application fee). I'll give them a call tomorrow and send in my transcripts asap eek. Did you guys also submit an official degree certificate? 

Ahhh :) oh my goshhh I wish I sent it then instead of thinking that I could save mail money (And it's not even that expensive compared to the actual application fee). I'll give them a call tomorrow and send in my transcripts asap eek. Did you guys also submit an official degree certificate? 

If you can even go to York yourself, they would not mind that (this has happened to me before with GREs missing). No, I did not have to send in an official degree certificate. I believe as long as it explicitly says on your transcript that you have convocated/or when you have conferred, then it is not required.

If you can even go to York yourself, they would not mind that (this has happened to me before with GREs missing). No, I did not have to send in an official degree certificate. I believe as long as it explicitly says on your transcript that you have convocated/or when you have conferred, then it is not required.

Thanks for clarifying!

I don't think I can drop by York any time soon :(. But hopefully the person on the other end of the phone call will be understanding...

Thanks for clarifying!

I don't think I can drop by York any time soon :(. But hopefully the person on the other end of the phone call will be understanding...

No problem, and good luck!

Hi there! I have also received the "Confirmation of documents received and next steps" email, but no specific invitation to an open house. Although in the email they say "Sign up for a campus visit or special campus events", there is not a Psychology open house available in the calendar.

About the transcript I was about to send it to them in November when I saw it was not needed in the website. So I contacted both admissions and the department and they said I should just upload the unofficial one. Since the option was not available to me online, I had to call and ask them to make it available, which they did.

Hi there! I have also received the "Confirmation of documents received and next steps" email, but no specific invitation to an open house. Although in the email they say "Sign up for a campus visit or special campus events", there is not a Psychology open house available in the calendar.

About the transcript I was about to send it to them in November when I saw it was not needed in the website. So I contacted both admissions and the department and they said I should just upload the unofficial one. Since the option was not available to me online, I had to call and ask them to make it available, which they did.

Hi Mandy P., thanks for letting me know. I also uploaded an unofficial transcript, but no confirmation email... I can't wait to ask tomorrow ahh >_<...

Thanks! And thanks everyone else who said so :)

Yes I sent all my offical transcripts everywhere to be safe, and also my offical GRE scores. I just wanted to get it all over with during Nov.

Has anyone heard from Toronto?

OISE - They dont offer interviews until February, atleast this is what has happened in previous years and it says so on some profs websites

UTSC - most profs are finished interviews but its done individually so Id recommend emailing your POI to double check

Edited by student896

Yes I sent all my offical transcripts everywhere to be safe, and also my offical GRE scores. I just wanted to get it all over with during Nov.

OISE - They dont offer interviews until February, atleast this is what has happened in previous years and it says so on some profs websites

UTSC - most profs are finished interviews but its done individually so Id recommend emailing your POI to double check

What's your source for UTSC?

Thanks for that. You are definitely right. There is no point worrying about things that aren't in your control. This will be my third year applying to these programs, so I've come to learn that things work out either way. Luckily, that's why I'm not stressing too much.

Thanks for your input :)

Exactly. Stay positive - SOMEONE'S got to get in, right?

Anyone applying to Ryerson, feel free to send me a PM. Like toastytoast, I may be able to offer some insider info.

What's your source for UTSC?

My friend attends UTSC as a psych undergrad and volunteers in a few labs. I had him ask some profs if they finished their interviews and the three he asked said yes. However, one prof said that although she was done, some other profs may not because its done individually. I emailed my POI and he told me he was not taking any students this year... very odd because the website says he was, but oh well.

My friend attends UTSC as a psych undergrad and volunteers in a few labs. I had him ask some profs if they finished their interviews and the three he asked said yes. However, one prof said that

although she was done, some other profs may not because its done individually. I emailed my POI and he told me he was not taking any students this year... very odd because the website says he was, but oh well.

Thanks. My prof said they are still making decisions! Sorry about your POI

Hi Mandy P., thanks for letting me know. I also uploaded an unofficial transcript, but no confirmation email... I can't wait to ask tomorrow ahh >_<...

My friend called today and they said it was a bulk e-mail and that unofficial transcripts are accepted. 

So those of you worrying, stop! No need to send in official transcripts. 

Is this new? Because I was accepted into the MA program in Counselling Psychology (now Clinical and Counselling Psychology) and I didn't have an interview. In fact, no one in my cohort or the cohorts after did. 

Generally, they tend to call applicants who are already admitted to ensure they are suited for the program. It may come off as an interview, but the truth of the matter is you're already accepted. 

Edited by 3minutes

My friend called today and they said it was a bulk e-mail and that unofficial transcripts are accepted. 

So those of you worrying, stop! No need to send in official transcripts. 

Just finished my call XD. Ditto this.

edit: No need to send in official transcripts until there's a conditional acceptance!

Edited by nuih

Hello student896,

May I ask how and when York invited you for an interview? 

Thanks,

Is this new? Because I was accepted into the MA program in Counselling Psychology (now Clinical and Counselling Psychology) and I didn't have an interview. In fact, no one in my cohort or the cohorts after did. 

Generally, they tend to call applicants who are already admitted to ensure they are suited for the program. It may come off as an interview, but the truth of the matter is you're already accepted. 

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I took the info from prof websites such as this one:

" To Potential Students: I accept approximately one to two new students (from either DPE or SCCP) to work in my lab per year. I do not meet students prior to shortlisting which occurs in February. If you are interested in working with me please send me an e-mail and I will make sure to read your file during the admissions process. If I think that we have similar interests (based on your written statement) I will contact you for an interview in February. "

Hello student896,

May I ask how and when York invited you for an interview? 

Thanks,

Hi Mandy,

POI emailed me yesterday inviting me to the Open House

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I took the info from prof websites such as this one:

" To Potential Students: I accept approximately one to two new students (from either DPE or SCCP) to work in my lab per year. I do not meet students prior to shortlisting which occurs in February. If you are interested in working with me please send me an e-mail and I will make sure to read your file during the admissions process. If I think that we have similar interests (based on your written statement) I will contact you for an interview in February. "

My experience was with the OISE MA program in Counselling/Clinical Psychology. As that professor is not a faculty in the Counselling/Clinical Psychology department, than your statement completely makes sense. Different rules for different programs I guess! 

Thanks!

Hi Mandy,

My experience was with the OISE MA program in Counselling/Clinical Psychology. As that professor is not a faculty in the Counselling/Clinical Psychology department, than your statement completely makes sense. Different rules for different programs I guess! 

Ah yes, I am applying to sccp so it makes sense.

If I may ask, why would you turn down your acceptance to OISE only to apply again this year? Sorry if this is too personal but I'm so curious

Hi Mandy,

Is the open house for clinical or clinical developmental? Or are they both scheduled on the same date?