Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

My POI at uOttawa said that the deadline for supervisors submit choices to the committee is February 18th. She also said that the commitee meets at the end of February to review applications but they have not set a date yet. She already interviewed me prior to the deadline of the application so I'm not worried about not getting an invite, but good luck to everyone else!  And also the interviews are individually set by the supervisor its not dept. wide or anything like that.

Very useful information, thank you!

Psychological Science students always receive interview and acceptance offers well before Clinical students. A lot of clinical applicants interviewed after many Psych. Science students received their offers (me included), so the timelines are definitely different for both disciplines. 

Clinical students are starting to hear back now regarding their application status. It would appear that there have been a number of spots available for Clinical, but there wasn't a clear decision on which faculty member receives a clinical spot hence why the delay in us hearing. 

Oh. This makes more sense and the people I know who applied to clinical will be happy to hear it. Thanks for letting me know 3minutes.

Oh. This makes more sense and the people I know who applied to clinical will be happy to hear it. Thanks for letting me know 3minutes.

Not a problem. Thanks for sharing your offer letter, because it does give some sort of solid number as to how many applicants they're willing to accept for Clinical. 

Also, congrats on all the acceptances! What a happy decision to make :) 

Edited by 3minutes

Some Ryerson stats for Clinical in case anyone's interested and not seen them before: http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/psychology/graduate/forms/CPA_Public_Disclosure_Tables.pdf

Interesting how there were 13 offers when about 15 students between the two streams get in every year.

Interesting how there were 13 offers when about 15 students between the two streams get in every year.

I'm guessing the discrepancy is due to some offers begin turned down, and the stats are just for clinical.

Edited by DeltaSkelta

Some Ryerson stats for Clinical in case anyone's interested and not seen them before: http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/psychology/graduate/forms/CPA_Public_Disclosure_Tables.pdf

Wow this is interesting, especially how VERY few people who have been admitted over the years were out-of-province. If I had seen this earlier that might have made me re-think my application.

Wow this is interesting, especially how VERY few people who have been admitted over the years were out-of-province. If I had seen this earlier that might have made me re-think my application.

Could it be a product of the applicant pool spread? Ryerson's clinical psych program is relatively new and just saw its first set of graduates complete their PhDs. Could this possibly cause it to attract fewer applications from strong out-of-Province or out-of-Country applicants? And then they'd have a greater proportion of applicants from Ontario who would have been more likely to apply in greater numbers because of proximity/convenience...

Just some speculative thoughts!  :P Anyone with insider info on Ryerson care to weigh in?

You're right, it's pretty interesting. Like FliesKites said, I imagined it was just a result of having a disproportionate number of applicants from within Ontario. Then again, i wonder if it's anything to do with OGS funding...?

What's so special about the Ryerson program? Why is a lot of people interested/concerned about it specifically in comparison to others?

*shrugs* Nothing really to me at least... probably because it's one of the first Canadian clinical programs to be sending out acceptances this year, there's just more there to talk about right now.  ^_^

What's so special about the Ryerson program? Why is a lot of people interested/concerned about it specifically in comparison to others?

I think it's because people want to stay in Toronto. It's a thoroughly average program.

I'm guessing the discrepancy is due to some offers begin turned down, and the stats are just for clinical.

I think DeltaSkelta is exactly right. If you look at the table it says Ryerson sent out 13 clinical offers and they ended up accepting 8 students. This means that they likely had 5 people decline offers and then sent out additional offers to those next in line on the wait list. This makes sense because if you look at the accepted row you can see that Ryerson takes about 9 students for clinical each year which isn't surprising given they accept a total of about 15. 

Edited by Tacoma

*shrugs* Nothing really to me at least... probably because it's one of the first Canadian clinical programs to be sending out acceptances this year, there's just more there to talk about right now.  ^_^

I totally agree FliesKites. I think Ryerson was one of the first schools to send out offers so they're just the "hot" school right now but more schools will start coming up more often as offers start to flow throughout February.

Wow Tacoma, congrats on your acceptances! I wish you the best with the decision process.  :lol:

Thanks FliesKites. I emailed potential supervisors ahead of time and made sure they were taking someone before I applied to their schools and I only applied to experimental programs which tend to be 'easier' to get accepted to than clinical programs so I think that has a lot to do with my acceptances.

Best of luck to you with your applications   ^_^  

Hey FliesKites, was it you who got the email? Sorry about the rejection :(

Yeah that was me! I say "generic" because it didn't seem personalized to me in any way - but I don't know if it was one of many sent at the same time or not. The email did state "There are quite of [sic] few applicants we are in the process of contacting," which to me implies that if you didn't get ruled out with a rejection email like I did, they may yet contact you or have you on a waitlist perhaps. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Edited by FliesKites

I think DeltaSkelta is exactly right. If you look at the table it says Ryerson sent out 13 clinical offers and they ended up accepting 8 students. This means that they likely had 5 people decline offers and then sent out additional offers to those next in line on the wait list. This makes sense because if you look at the accepted row you can see that Ryerson takes about 9 students for clinical each year which isn't surprising given they accept a total of about 15. 

So I may just be really tired, but I don't understand this. What if all of Ryerson's 13 clinical offers were accepted? Then wouldn't the total between both Psych. Science and Clinical exceed 15? And what about those off the wait list? If 5 applicants declined, then wouldn't 5 other applicants take their place?

Edit: Nevermind. I got it.  Didn't see the positions list. Haha 

Edited by 3minutes

This might sound ignorant but what can you do with a masters or PhD in experimental psych other than be an academic researcher as a prof of some sort?

Most people who complete a PhD in experimental psychology want to pursue an academic career as a university professor/researcher but that certainly is not the only avenue to take. You can also work for private research companies or even the government. Meanwhile other experimental psychologists work as applied psychologists for marketing/advertising companies. 

Edited by Tacoma

Timing, sure, but I also think the Clinical program is a great program. I'm biased, of course, but the faculty does have some very established, prolific researchers, the program was CPA-accredited in record time, they have a good partnership with St. Mike's Hospital for practica, and their internship match rates are superior to many other programs. Plus if you're into CBT, it's probably the best bet in the city. Plus the location is pretty decent, literally in the heart of downtown Toronto (if you like that sort of thing).

So I may just be really tired, but I don't understand this. What if all of Ryerson's 13 clinical offers were accepted? Then wouldn't the total between both Psych. Science and Clinical exceed 15? And what about those off the wait list? If 5 applicants declined, then wouldn't 5 other applicants take their place?

Edit: Nevermind. I got it. Didn't see the positions list. Haha

Still, they offered 13 with only 8 faculty available? What if all 13 accepted..

Still, they offered 13 with only 8 faculty available? What if all 13 accepted..

It's because they don't make all 13 offers at the same time. They would love it if they could get their first choices in applicants, but they can't always, of course. Here's a hypothetical timeline of events to illustrate:

1. School makes 8 offers to their first-choice applicants.

2. 5 of said applicants accept, while 3 others end up declining (presumably in favour of another school's offer).

3. School now has only 5/8 slots filled, and starts going through its waitlist to send out 3 more offers, replacing those which were declined. At this point, POIs who didn't even get priority to invite a student in the first offer round may get a chance to take someone.

4. The 3 waitlisted applicants are thrilled to recieve their delayed offers! However, two of them have already heard back from and accepted offers from schools higher on their lists. The third applicant from the wait list accepts. Now there are 6 students attending from 11 total offers sent.

5. School digs even deeper into its waitlist to send out a final 2 offers. By this time (with all the waiting for earlier offers to be confirmed or declined) it is after April 15th. The two applicants who receive them are ecstatic - they hadn't been accepted anywhere else and had resigned themselves to probably reapplying next year. Both candidates enthusiastically accept the offers.

6. Tada! School welcomes a newly enrolled class of 8 clinical students in Fall 2015, despite having made a total of 13 offers (8+3+2, 5 of which were declined overall).

Edited by FliesKites

It's because they don't make all 13 offers at the same time. They would love it if they could get their first choices in applicants, but they can't always, of course. Here's a hypothetical timeline of events to illustrate:

1. School makes 8 offers to their first-choice applicants.

2. 5 of said applicants accept, while 3 others end up declining (presumably in favour of another school's offer).

3. School now has only 5/8 slots filled, and starts going through its waitlist to send out 3 more offers, replacing those which were declined. At this point, POIs who didn't even get priority to invite a student in the first offer round may get a chance to take someone.

4. The 3 waitlisted applicants are thrilled to recieve their delayed offers! However, two of them have already heard back from and accepted offers from schools higher on their lists. The third applicant from the wait list accepts. Now there are 6 students attending from 11 total offers sent.

5. School digs even deeper into its waitlist to send out a final 2 offers. By this time (with all the waiting for earlier offers to be confirmed or declined) it is after April 15th. The two applicants who receive them are ecstatic - they hadn't been accepted anywhere else and had resigned themselves to probably reapplying next year. Both candidates enthusiastically accept the offers.

6. Tada! School welcomes a newly enrolled class of 8 clinical students in Fall 2015, despite having made a total of 13 offers (8+3+2, 5 of which were declined overall).

Lol wow that was amazing. And extremely helpful! I just thought they were sent out at once. But rolling makes sense :)