Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

Can you send me the link of the results page you're checking? I used the magnifying glass, but I'm not finding it. Thanks.

Yes, Mandy P., there are about 5 people on the results page I have seen receiving interviews for the clinical program at Ryerson.

Congrats! Hopefully you recieve some good news! I just received an email invitation for an interview at Ryerson. I did not know they send out acceptances so soon!! Hopefully all goes well...

Guys,

Do you mind sharing you GPA and GRE scores?

Hey Mandy P. my GPA last two years of my undergrad is 3.85 and I would rather not share my General GRE scores but I got 690 in my Subject Psychology GRE. I actually took my GRE last year for the first time and had even worse scores, but my second time doing the GRE was worth it (I had a score of 590 for my Subject GRE last year).

Can you send me the link of the results page you're checking? I used the magnifying glass, but I'm not finding it. Thanks.

Yes! Here it is: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Ryerson

It seems like a lot of schools are sending out very early acceptances (or just two as of now). A professor at UofT told me that they're also sending acceptances near the end of January/beginning of Feb to prevent losing the super amazing students. Apparently that has been a big problem haha. 

Thanks nuih!

I found applying for CGS-M pretty difficult myself. It is my first time applying and I was confused between CIHR and SSHRC and asked some grad students about it. They said to go for SSHRC because they have more of it to give away than CIHR, so I tried to shape my proposed research to SSHRC standards!

First time applying is definitely a difficult process >< For me, I was always unsure of whether I was wording or answering things correctly... especially that annoying CCV thing. Also that gender analysis column for CIHR's application.... glad you managed to find some way for SSHRC. I considered switching too late haha;

I have also applied to CIHR, since my goal is to do a clinical trial.

Good luck to both of us on CIHR ; O ; I really wonder about the chances of getting it as first-years... but going to stay positive yeaaah.

Guys,

Last 2 years gpa is 3.9/4.0, and my GRE scores were mediocre, 310 overall. I'm not going to bother retaking the GRE though. How are your scores?

It seems like a lot of schools are sending out very early acceptances (or just two as of now). A professor at UofT told me that they're also sending acceptances near the end of January/beginning of Feb to prevent losing the super amazing students. Apparently that has been a big problem haha. 

I would rather hear sooner or later (even if its rejection)!!

nuih, I was wondering which school you are applying for Developmental, or is Developmental your second choice for all the schools you applied?

Guys,

Last two year's GPA (including last semester, which I got a 4.0)-- 3.89

GRE was fine: 161Q and 156V. AW killed me though at 3.0

I would rather hear sooner or later (even if its rejection)!!

nuih, I was wondering which school you are applying for Developmental, or is Developmental your second choice for all the schools you applied?

Yeah honestly when I heard that, in my head I was like bad for you guys, but hey that's great for us applying!! I'd hate to wait until late-April! 

And I applied to developmental at York and WLU!  *_* I'll pm you my POIs.

Yeah honestly when I heard that, in my head I was like bad for you guys, but hey that's great for us applying!! I'd hate to wait until late-April! 

And I applied to developmental at York and WLU!  *_* I'll pm you my POIs.

Waiting until April would be pure torture!

I applied to those two for Dev. as well. I am a York alumni. Let me know if you have any questions :)

Anyone heard back from U of Victoria, Dalhousie, Western, Queen's, McGill, U of Ottawa, U of T (clinical child) yet?

Also, just out of curiosity: anyone here applying to Francophone universities/streams? I'm applying to U de Montreal and the French stream at U of O.

In case this brings you a bit of encouragement, I didn't get invited for Ryerson interviews last year till the very end of Jan and early Feb. POIs do their interviews on different timelines, so just because some have started interviewing doesn't mean they all have. stay positive!

My GRE general is 155V, 149Q and 4AW. Subject is 690.

I am not very sure about my GPA, because my undergraduate studies were completed outside Canada, but my final year GPA was 9.5/10.

In case this brings you a bit of encouragement, I didn't get invited for Ryerson interviews last year till the very end of Jan and early Feb. POIs do their interviews on different timelines, so just because some have started interviewing doesn't mean they all have. stay positive!

Hi DeltaSkelta! Are you currently attending Ryerson? Is an interview with faculty at Ryerson a good sign that they are interested or that they are deciding between multiple candidates?

Thank you. That's good news! Can you guys share a bit what the interview looks like?

Anyone heard back from U of Victoria, Dalhousie, Western, Queen's, McGill, U of Ottawa, U of T (clinical child) yet?

Also, just out of curiosity: anyone here applying to Francophone universities/streams? I'm applying to U de Montreal and the French stream at U of O.

There are a couple people on the results page who have already received interview invites in late Dec. and early Jan for U of T(Not sure the specifics of the program). I have not heard back from any of the other schools though.

Hi DeltaSkelta! Are you currently attending Ryerson? Is an interview with faculty at Ryerson a good sign that they are interested or that they are deciding between multiple candidates?

I'd say it's definitely a good sign. I don't know whether it changes between faculty members, but my belief is that they shortlist a number of candidates they're interested in and interview them all.

I realize I initially posted this in the wrong thread (eg non canadian).

Hi everyone. My first time here.

I'm also applying for Clinical Psychology programs in Canada for Fall 2015 admission.

I happen to also be in a position where I would have some insight on the other side of things - without giving too much away, I'll say that I'm privvy to some information that a regular applicant wouldn't have, at a major institution.

If you have any questions... I'll try to answer them.

I would be curious to know what does an average profile of a matriculated applicant look like?

I know there is no such thing as an average applicant -- but there must be some commonalities?

Also curious to know more about your experience in general.

The average applicant is... There is no average applicant, really. I mean supervisors vary in what they look for. What you really have to worry about is the university.

Many people mistake universities as educational institutions. They are. But first and foremost, they are a business with interests in making money and bringing in funding.

GRE scores serve one purpose: weed out the majority of applicants, and make the process of filtering down to students who have a high chance of degree completion. For most people, GRE scores and GPA are strongly correlated. If one is high, the other tends to be, as well.

Your grades and GRE scores are mainly screened in order to ensure the university will be able to maintain their high entrance averages that they advertise and to secure funding which usually demands strong academic history from student applicants.

If your GRE and GPA are acceptable, then everything else is going to be your personality, research interests, probability of being funded and publishing...

Many people mistake universities as educational institutions. They are. But first and foremost, they are a business with interests in making money and bringing in funding.

Blackscotch, thank you for the information. It really provides a different kind of perspective do this whole process. I knew funding is the focus for many schools, but I did not know how heavy it was emphasized. Really gets me thinking...

Also, which schools have you applied to for the clinical program and have you heard any news?

About OGS, Am I allowed to use the same project as I used in the CGS M application? What do you know about it?

I talked to the head of the department at the university I did my undergrad at about this. Essentially he said yes, but change it up a little to meet the OGS guidelines.. I also found that the OGS for clinical applicants is different than the OGS for experimental applicants. For example, the OGS for UOttawa didn't ask  for a research proposal, rather it asked me why I'm interested in that University, why I think I'm a good candidate, &c.

I am applying and I can see that each University seems to have their own requirements. Ryerson asks for the Statement of Interest and York too. I am not sure about U of T (they mention both), I'll have to email them about it.

I talked to the head of the department at the university I did my undergrad at about this. Essentially he said yes, but change it up a little to meet the OGS guidelines.. I also found that the OGS for clinical applicants is different than the OGS for experimental applicants. For example, the OGS for UOttawa didn't ask  for a research proposal, rather it asked me why I'm interested in that University, why I think I'm a good candidate, &c.

For the person who got accepted to Ryerson Experimental, congrats! Do you have any information about the other programs? Did you get contacted by your POI or from the admissions department (phone/email)? Thanks!