Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

For the ones that applied for OISE. Are you applying for the OGS? The deadline is January 30th. 

I read the following and I am confused: http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/oise/Current_Students/Graduate_Student_Funding/Graduate_Funding_Package/Applying_for_External_Scholarships.html

I sent them an email, but no reply yet. :(

Hey I haven't applied for it, but you may get your answer on this webpage: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Ontario-Graduate-Scholarship.aspxI believe this is where you apply and find out your deadline for the program you are applying to. Hope this helps!

Thank you. I've been through everything, but it's not quite clear.

Hey I haven't applied for it, but you may get your answer on this webpage: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Ontario-Graduate-Scholarship.aspxI believe this is where you apply and find out your deadline for the program you are applying to. Hope this helps!

Thank you. I've been through everything, but it's not quite clear.

Yes, the process can be a little confusing. If you still need questions answered (fast), I suggest calling them. I have done this before and they were more than willing to help. I do not remember which number I used but here is a list of people you can call http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/about/Pages/Staff-Directory.aspxand this is the number for general help in regards to grad awards 416-946-0808

I thought I might share this for those anxiously waiting from York - I spoke to grad admin directly about any updates about applications...she basically said that they have not really started reviewing the applications yet (She seemed pretty surprised that I was asking because she said it's still too early!). Shocking since this school had one of the early deadlines. Apparently we will be receiving invites for interviews in February (from your POIs), but if we do not receive any invites, it does not mean that we are 'officially' rejected until we receive the letter via mail! She spoke more directly about the clinical and clinical-developmental program, so I am not sure this applies to other programs in psych at York. Hope this eases some anxiety :)

Cool! Thanks!

I thought I might share this for those anxiously waiting from York - I spoke to grad admin directly about any updates about applications...she basically said that they have not really started reviewing the applications yet (She seemed pretty surprised that I was asking because she said it's still too early!). Shocking since this school had one of the early deadlines. Apparently we will be receiving invites for interviews in February (from your POIs), but if we do not receive any invites, it does not mean that we are 'officially' rejected until we receive the letter via mail! She spoke more directly about the clinical and clinical-developmental program, so I am not sure this applies to other programs in psych at York. Hope this eases some anxiety :)

Thanks! They emailed me back saying that while it is not necessary to apply in the first year it is recommended.

Yes, the process can be a little confusing. If you still need questions answered (fast), I suggest calling them. I have done this before and they were more than willing to help. I do not remember which number I used but here is a list of people you can call http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/about/Pages/Staff-Directory.aspxand this is the number for general help in regards to grad awards 416-946-0808

That is super helpful. Thanks a bunch :) 

Anyone here apply to UBC and have heard from them (or their respective POIs)?

Hi,

I applied to University of British Columbia but I haven't heard anything at all. Which is really worrisome but then again, I've applied to the MA in Social Psych and I'm non-Canadian.

Hi,

I applied to University of British Columbia but I haven't heard anything at all. Which is really worrisome but then again, I've applied to the MA in Social Psych and I'm non-Canadian.

It looks like you're my Californian counterpart then, because I also applied to the MA in Social Psych and am not a Canadian. Who's your POI? (Feel free to PM me.) It would be a pretty astonishing coincidence if we shared that too!

The politics behind graduate admission is so enormous, you wouldn't believe me even if I told you.

It's very money-driven and a large part of it is being in the right place at the right time. Your GRE, GPA and publications, while important, In no way guarantee admission and that's what makes it so unpredictable

To give you an idea, something as arbitrary as your gender can significantly impact your chances of being admitted.

Edited by blackscotch

The politics behind graduate admission is so enormous, you wouldn't believe me even if I told you.

It's a very money-driven and a large part of it is being in the right place at the right time. Your GRE, GPA and publications, while important, In no way guarantee admission and that's what makes it so unpredictable

To give you an idea, something as arbitrary as your gender can significantly impact your changes of being admitted.

Gender?? Really..

It's very money-driven and a large part of it is being in the right place at the right time. Your GRE, GPA and publications, while important, In no way guarantee admission and that's what makes it so unpredictable

To give you an idea, something as arbitrary as your gender can significantly impact your chances of being admitted.

Yes I think this is very much true, I don't have any inside knowledge but, to be quite honest from personal experience I can tell that small details such as gender and ethnicity can influence the chances of acceptance. For me, I'm interested in cross-cultural psychology and immigrant and refugees in Canada of those of mostly Arab or East-Asian decent. The POIs I've approached who research this area, all but one all of their students were of Anglophone backgrounds, the POIs showed little or interest in me (I say this because emails were short and generic, phone calls were short and not that polite) until they inquired about my background and linguistic abilities. When it became clear to them that not only was I of the ethnicity of the general population they were interested in but I also speak the language they wanted to interact with participants they were interested in studying all of a sudden I was at the top of their list of students to pick. Now, I'm not saying this is the sole and only reason I became interesting to them at least I truly hope so since I worked my butt off to get to this point and I far exceed all the admissions requirements but since me being of the same ethnic/cultural and linguistic background as the population of interest this created perhaps an aura of authenticity vs someone else who is an outsider looking in, this enabled me to be picked from the batch in terms of POIs pick of students I think

Edited by Noor123

The POIs I've approached who research this area, all but one all of their students were of Anglophone backgrounds, the POIs showed little or interest in me (I say this because emails were short and generic, phone calls were short and not that polite) until they inquired about my background and linguistic abilities. When it became clear to them that not only was I of the ethnicity of the general population they were interested in but I also speak the language they wanted to interact with participants they were interested in studying all of a sudden I was at the top of their list of students to pick.

This isn't being chosen because of your ethnicity; it's being chosen because you have a set of skills relevant to their research that other candidates might lack, and seems perfectly reasonable. If their research weren't cultural this shouldn't matter.

Now, I'm not saying this is the sole and only reason I became interesting to them at least I truly hope so since I worked my butt off to get to this point and I far exceed all the admissions requirements ...

Without seeing the qualifications of the other candidates, one really can't say whether the admissions standards have been exceeded or not. The website requirements are usually a really low bar.

Edited by lewin

This isn't being chosen because of your ethnicity; it's being chosen because you have a set of skills relevant to their research that other candidates might lack, and seems perfectly reasonable. If their research weren't cultural this shouldn't matter.

Without seeing the qualifications of the other candidates, one really can't say whether the admissions standards have been exceeded or not. The website requirements are usually a really low bar.

That's true but I'm pretty sure gender plays a pretty big role. I have a friend in clinical who is a straight male and he received offers to 11/11 schools. I'm sure his application was good, but given the element of chance involved I can't believe that wasn't a factor--and neither can he.

I've heard profs say outright that they would prefer a male.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing perse because we need male clinicians, but it is frustrating as a female applicant.

Did anyone apply to waterloo? Just got an email with a rejection. Wow.

There wasn't a big match of interest, so I'm not really surprised but I thought they weren't as competitive as schools in Toronto. Guess I was wrong! Lol

I applied! From what I have heard Waterloo is as competitive as Toronto schools. They seem to place a high value on GRE scores. Have not received any emails from them yet. I'm sorry to hear about your rejection - I'm sure mine is coming soon as well although one never knows.

If I wasn't the same ethnicity as the group they are interested in researching I doubt I would have been half as interesting to them as I am now, as I stated it gives some authenticity to the research if 'one of their own' is doing it. And I'm basing my requirements on the minimum requirements which I do far exceed, as most people do, again like I said most applicants exceed the requirements but what allowed me to stand out was my background.

That's true but I'm pretty sure gender plays a pretty big role. I have a friend in clinical who is a straight male and he received offers to 11/11 schools. I'm sure his application was good, but given the element of chance involved I can't believe that wasn't a factor--and neither can he.

I've heard profs say outright that they would prefer a male.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing perse because we need male clinicians, but it is frustrating as a female applicant.

I definitely only meant my comments to apply to this specific situation (researching a particular population, having experience with that population). 

Sexism, on the other hand, is odious behaviour that shouldn't occur though of course it too often does.

If I wasn't the same ethnicity as the group they are interested in researching I doubt I would have been half as interesting to them as I am now, as I stated it gives some authenticity to the research if 'one of their own' is doing it. And I'm basing my requirements on the minimum requirements which I do far exceed, as most people do, again like I said most applicants exceed the requirements but what allowed me to stand out was my background.

Then I think we're agreeing? My point was that exceeding the minimum requirements is no assurance of admission and, in this particular case, it sounds like your cultural background was an asset because it was relevant to the research. Seeing it that was isn't an indication of subjectivity or capriciousness in the process. It's the same as if one said, "They weren't really interested in me until they found out I had fMRI experience and they want to use fMRI." 

Thanks PsychStudent316! I'm not super bummed out though. I wasn't keen on moving to Waterloo anyway. And I'm still waiting on Ryerson which was among my top two.

I hope you get to the interview stage! Who's your POI? I had applied to Dr. Moscovitch.

If I may add my two cents to the earlier discussion in this thread (sorry, Syedahum): for the sake of my sanity, I would try not to think about external factors in admission decision-making that I have no control over (e.g. ethnicity, age, gender, funding factors and internal politics), and just work my hardest at improving the factors I can control (gain research experience, publish etc.). Otherwise, it's too discouraging.

The intense competition and the huge number of folks competing for one spot is just the new reality of the labour market. A few years back after completing my first degree and straight out of uni, I applied for a secretarial job with a little marketing firm. Two rounds of interviews, 280+ applicants for a job that consisted mainly of booking appointments, answering the phone, and making coffee, complete with a fairly nasty boss. So, it's just the brave new post-recession world, not just psychology grad programs -- and it shouldn't get to us, shouldn't let us lose hope in ourselves.

In a way it's a test of how badly you want to pursue the career/degree you are applying to, and a reason to examine why you are applying to this specific program/supervisor/grad studies. 

If I may add my two cents to the earlier discussion in this thread (sorry, Syedahum): for the sake of my sanity, I would try not to think about external factors in admission decision-making that I have no control over (e.g. ethnicity, age, gender, funding factors and internal politics), and just work my hardest at improving the factors I can control (gain research experience, publish etc.). Otherwise, it's too discouraging.

The intense competition and the huge number of folks competing for one spot is just the new reality of the labour market. A few years back after completing my first degree and straight out of uni, I applied for a secretarial job with a little marketing firm. Two rounds of interviews, 280+ applicants for a job that consisted mainly of booking appointments, answering the phone, and making coffee, complete with a fairly nasty boss. So, it's just the brave new post-recession world, not just psychology grad programs -- and it shouldn't get to us, shouldn't let us lose hope in ourselves.

In a way it's a test of how badly you want to pursue the career/degree you are applying to, and a reason to examine why you are applying to this specific program/supervisor/grad studies.

Thanks for that. You are definitely right. There is no point worrying about things that aren't in your control. This will be my third year applying to these programs, so I've come to learn that things work out either way. Luckily, that's why I'm not stressing too much.

Thanks for your input :)