University of Washington CS PhD Applications

raggy

Has anyone that applied to University of Washington(Seattle) heard back from the department? If yes, who did you list as the interested faculty?

Thanks!

I noticed that too. However, the user said he was accepted into signal processing and networks. That seems more like EE than CS, but I can't be sure. I didn't find any research areas similar to it in the UW CS website.

There were 5 more interviews for UW. When I asked the graduate advisor at the department she said they don't conduct interviews. I've rarely seen interviews for UW in the past as well. I wish the users would post which area they're interested in/which professor contacted them for the interview.

Just got accepted. Call from POI: Those who were accepted this week receive full first year funding.

What's your area of specialization and what's the name of the POI?

I applied in PL and haven't heard yet. 

But I think these sorts of posts just provoke unnecessary anxiety:

Just got accepted. Call from POI: Those who were accepted this week receive full first year funding. 

How likely is it that I will get Financial Support from the CSE department?

All accepted students are guaranteed full support for a minimum of 3 years through research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and departmental/external fellowships. Funding after the initial 3 years is usually available and is contingent on satisfactory academic progress and availability of funds. No student in good standing is unsupported in our program and all who graduate are funded until the completion of the Ph.D.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/prospective_students/grad/application/faq#app_status

UW does not interview. My guess is that people are calling other interactions with POIs "interviews." 

I applied in PL and haven't heard yet. 

http://www.cs.washington.edu/prospective_students/grad/application/faq#app_status

UW does not interview. My guess is that people are calling other interactions with POIs "interviews." 

I think UW gives out departmental fellowships to their best applicants for the first year, and the remaining two years might be RA/TAship. That might be what people are referring to. So, hopefully those that haven't heard back as of now still have a shot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread!

• I heard back today and I'm in
  • The people who heard back last week were the first batch, and those were like hands down definite yeses that they didn't even need to review
  • Final decisions were made on Monday
  • There's no automated process to email everyone at once AFAIK, or if there is it hasn't been triggered yet; individual professors have to do it
  • Some individual professor procrastinate
  • Therefore, if you haven't heard yet, DON'T PANIC! You might still be in :) 

With that said, who's in? I live here, so I'm willing to show people around the city when people are visiting for visitation days, and/or just hang out if you guys are staying any longer than the actual visitation days. Also, it'd be nice to meet other people, because I'd better like you if I'm stuck with you for about six years :P 

I got my acceptance via phone on January 27. I'm so happy :) They did not ask for an interview.

I felt so touched that they called me; the guy on the phone seemed friendly when we described the Visiting Days (March 17-18).

ps. It's just unfortunate that I'm gone for an academic conference on these days :(

Edited by hcho3

I got my acceptance via phone on January 27. I'm so happy :) They did not ask for an interview.

I felt so touched that they called me; the guy on the phone seemed friendly when we described the Visiting Days (March 17-18).

ps. It's just unfortunate that I'm gone for an academic conference on these days :(

Yeah that was kinda misleading. My apologies. Raggy is correct. 

Bumping this thread!

• I heard back today and I'm in
  • The people who heard back last week were the first batch, and those were like hands down definite yeses that they didn't even need to review
  • Final decisions were made on Monday
  • There's no automated process to email everyone at once AFAIK, or if there is it hasn't been triggered yet; individual professors have to do it
  • Some individual professor procrastinate
  • Therefore, if you haven't heard yet, DON'T PANIC! You might still be in :)

With that said, who's in? I live here, so I'm willing to show people around the city when people are visiting for visitation days, and/or just hang out if you guys are staying any longer than the actual visitation days. Also, it'd be nice to meet other people, because I'd better like you if I'm stuck with you for about six years :P

Haha well said thissiteispoison... but, don't be too pessimistic. Maybe it won't take six years...

UW is literally the only program that I got in (so far, but pretty much), and it's my dream program! So I've been in a very dreamy state lately. I also will definitely be there during the visit days, so looking forward to meeting you guys soon! 

I was accepted on Wednesday to the CS program with a specialization in AI/ML, but I just noticed this thread now. Congrats to everyone else who got in! UW is one of my top choice schools, and tbh I was fully expecting a reject. Are you all going to the visit day?

Are admissions for students with B.S. degree only sent out? Is admission selection of these students different from those with M.S.?

I was accepted with only a BS, although I don't know if the selection process is any different.

Haha well said thissiteispoison... but, don't be too pessimistic. Maybe it won't take six years...

UW is literally the only program that I got in (so far, but pretty much), and it's my dream program! So I've been in a very dreamy state lately. I also will definitely be there during the visit days, so looking forward to meeting you guys soon! 

I was accepted on Wednesday to the CS program with a specialization in AI/ML, but I just noticed this thread now. Congrats to everyone else who got in! UW is one of my top choice schools, and tbh I was fully expecting a reject. Are you all going to the visit day?

My interest is also AI/ML. Congrats to everyone who got in! Honestly, I wasn't really expecting to get in to UW, but it was the first school that admitted me. I'm so happy :)

I wish I could make it to the Visiting Days, but oh well. I've e-mailed them to schedule a solo visit instead.

I'll be there if I have enough time to take off of work. I'm going to try to make at least one day. I've met the entire department for what I'm most interested in already (programming languages), but I'd like to meet some other prospective graduate students.

Also, what do you kinds plan to do for the summer? My college ends in early May and UW starts on Sep 30.... which means I have a horrific 5 month summer. I haven't looked for any internship or anything, but 5 months of idleness doesn't sound like a good idea... maybe I can start research early at UW?

Edited by mb298

Also, what do you kinds plan to do for the summer? My college ends in early May and UW starts on Sep 30.... which means I have a horrific 5 month summer. I haven't looked for any internship or anything, but 5 months of idleness doesn't sound like a good idea... maybe I can start research early at UW?

Spoken like a true college student! "Horrific," hah!

You will probably be working every summer for the rest of your life, so here's what you should do:

• Throw a huge college graduation party
  • Invite all of your extended family
  • Your extended family will likely give you money because they don't know what else to give you
  • Use that money to buy a ticket to a country you've never been to and reserve a cheap hostel
  • Have fun

Did this the summer after college and don't regret a thing. I can't believe how many people rush into working. 

My plan for the summer is to stick around at my current lab and finish up some projects before I leave for grad school. Although travelling the world sounds OK too I guess.

I'm thinking taking 5 months off isn't that bad. One of my friends finished undergrad in about 2.3 years (finished when grad apps were due in year 3 basically) so he flew back home and basically played League of Legends for 9 months. No big deal.

Edited by Loser777