In a magical fairy world where there are options...where do I go?

Pink toes

In my routine obsessive checking of my email/ application status on numerous websites....a thought popped into my head. What if I end up getting accepted to MULTIPLE schools? Has anyone heard any stories or had any personal experience at any of the following schools that could help me decide? Specifically in health management and policy but any opinions/ thoughts will help!

University of Michigan

UNC

John's Hopkins

Emory

George Washington University

Edited by Pink toes

University of Michigan is a good place for health management and policy. The program itself is good, but really the whole school is strong in business/management/policy. The different grad schools support each other well in that sense. I can't speak for the other schools. 

That's good to hear ....it must be ranked # 1 for health care management programs by u.s. News for a reason ! Thank you

University of Michigan is a good place for health management and policy. The program itself is good, but really the whole school is strong in business/management/policy. The different grad schools support each other well in that sense. I can't speak for the other schools.

That's good to hear ....it must be ranked # 1 for health care management programs by u.s. News for a reason ! Thank you. Do you know what it is like to live in Ann Arbor as a graduate student? I would like to have somewhat of a social life outside of the program...if possible with working and attending classes.

I think being in DC would also be ideal, though if UMich (I'm from Florida, UM is Miami) is ranked #1 for your concentration and you're admitted, that is certainly something! 

Similar note: how do we find ranking of concentrations? I know Emory is #2 for Epi, but that's anecdotally from them, I've never actually read it anywhere. 

I think being in DC would also be ideal, though if UMich (I'm from Florida, UM is Miami) is ranked #1 for your concentration and you're admitted, that is certainly something! 

Similar note: how do we find ranking of concentrations? I know Emory is #2 for Epi, but that's anecdotally from them, I've never actually read it anywhere.

Congratulations on getting admitted to GWU !

D.C. would be good for political connections and it's definitely a plus to be closer to home for me at least. To find rankings for different fields you just type " best ( insert concentration ) program" into google and the U.S. News rankings report should be one of the first few options. I was told not to base my choice strictly off of the rankings but they are there for a reason.

I've tried looking all over for epi rankings and can't find a reliable source for the life of me.

I found this, but something tells me it's just someone's opinion:

http://mphprogramslist.com/7-top-epidemiology-degree-programs-finding-yours/

Also this, but it ranks Emory at #9 and that makes me kind of skeptical:

http://public-health-programs.findthebest.com/d/a/Epidemiology 

Rankings wise, I've just kind of been considering the following, in no particular order:

1. US News Public Health Rankings (Epi is the cornerstone of public health so these are the closest to official rankings I think there are)

2. Medical/health programs ranking (The better the med school, the more research opportunities, probably; also I may go on to med school afterwards)

3. Overall school ranking/reputation

4. NIH funding, or NIMH & NARSAD funding since I'm specifically interested in mental health (again, research opportunities)

Let me know if you find anything better...

Edited by holykrp

In my routine obsessive checking of my email/ application status on numerous websites....a thought popped into my head. What if I end up getting accepted to MULTIPLE schools? Has anyone heard any stories or had any personal experience at any of the following schools that could help me decide? Specifically in health management and policy but any opinions/ thoughts will help!

University of Michigan

UNC

John's Hopkins

Emory

George Washington University

University of Michigan: I spent a summer there for the HBHE dept, but I noticed how awesome the health management and policy dept was. Awesome professors, large alum network (which is super important in this area of public health), ranked #1 in the US

GWU: My friends in the epi/biostats depts hated the school and thought it was poorly organized, faculty wasn't really focused on students; but, great place for networking and policy dept; everyone i know who attended (and hated GW) found a job within 3 months of graduation

Emory: I haven't heard the best things about their management/policy dept...I think they are more known for global health and epi

University of Michigan: I spent a summer there for the HBHE dept, but I noticed how awesome the health management and policy dept was. Awesome professors, large alum network (which is super important in this area of public health), ranked #1 in the US

GWU: My friends in the epi/biostats depts hated the school and thought it was poorly organized, faculty wasn't really focused on students; but, great place for networking and policy dept; everyone i know who attended (and hated GW) found a job within 3 months of graduation

Emory: I haven't heard the best things about their management/policy dept...I think they are more known for global health and epi

Wow ...okay thanks a lot that's good to know. It's looking like University of Michigan is the best option for health management and policy. Congratulations on getting accepted there, by the way.

Wow ...okay thanks a lot that's good to know. It's looking like University of Michigan is the best option for health management and policy. Congratulations on getting accepted there, by the way.

Thanks! I actually got into the international health epi program, and will be interviewing for the health management and policy program at UMich. If you have the chance, visit the schools and ask questions. Other peoples' opinions/experiences and rankings don't compare to your own instincts. Good luck!

That's good to hear ....it must be ranked # 1 for health care management programs by u.s. News for a reason ! Thank you. Do you know what it is like to live in Ann Arbor as a graduate student? I would like to have somewhat of a social life outside of the program...if possible with working and attending classes.

I did epidemiology/international health when I was there during 2009-2011. One of the weirdest things about UMich is that the university is really big compared to the city of Ann Arbor. That's a great thing for students, because the shops and restaurants are usually geared toward 20-somethings. There's a lot of fun stuff to do. My wife and I were members of a folk music venue called The Ark and we spent a lot of time in the Arboretum.

Like anything else, your amount of free time depends on your ability to manage time well. I tried to treat school like a 9-to-5 job, so I could have the evenings free. That wasn't always possible, but I do feel like I was able to have some free time outside of my coursework and working as a research assistant. 

I did epidemiology/international health when I was there during 2009-2011. One of the weirdest things about UMich is that the university is really big compared to the city of Ann Arbor. That's a great thing for students, because the shops and restaurants are usually geared toward 20-somethings. There's a lot of fun stuff to do. My wife and I were members of a folk music venue called The Ark and we spent a lot of time in the Arboretum.

Like anything else, your amount of free time depends on your ability to manage time well. I tried to treat school like a 9-to-5 job, so I could have the evenings free. That wasn't always possible, but I do feel like I was able to have some free time outside of my coursework and working as a research assistant.

Treating grad school like a 9-to-5 that actually might work. I will try definitely try that but it would take a lot of discipline. I like to be able to separate school life from my social life so I think that will help a lot. I have been to that are Arboretum and it is really beautiful I could see myself spending a lot of time they are reading. I'm glad to hear that while working and attending class there is still hope for a social life!

What happened last year, may I ask?

Where were you in 2014? :P

Emory got several American Ebola patients flown in during the outbreak. I'm sure lots of research data to be had for people interested in infectious diseases and epidemics.

Emory got several American Ebola patients flown in during the outbreak. I'm sure lots of research data to be had for people interested in infectious diseases and epidemics.

Oh, hahaha I thought you were hinting at something wrong with the health policy/management dept. Duh :P

Yeah I was honestly nervous that they would have much more epi applicants this year because of that. And not only Emory, I was worried there'd be a huge influx in epi applicants in general. Was that actually the case? I have no idea. I also dance on the line between normal concerns and paranoia quite frequently.