Let's Overanalyze Together

firewisp11

Cannot stop reading this email over and over and over again...WHAT DOES IT MEAN I CAN'T STOP PARSING IT FOR CLUES HALP ME.

"I am contacting you with regard to your application to the (insert program here).  Your application for funding is currently under consideration and will undergo a shortlisting process over the next few days, in terms of the funding you are eligible for. Please note that you might be contacted to attend an interview on or shortly after 4th February. If your application is shortlisted, the interviews will take place on Monday 9th, Tuesday 10th and Thursday 12th of February, with a possibility of conducting them via phone or Skype."

...so...wait. Why would they be considering me for funding if they haven't made a decision about the applications yet? OR is this telling me that they HAVE decided and I'm in and they're now just working out whether or not to give me money? OR is my getting in or not getting in contingent on me getting or not getting funding?

UGH HATING THIS  :wacko:

Do they admit students without funding? If not, I would read this as saying that liking a student enough to admit and deciding to fund them is rolled into one decision. It's not clear whether the interviews are used on students they are unsure about or interested in funding though. Since today's the 4th, that sucks tremendously. 

I definitely agree. This is a confusing email. 

Do they admit students without funding? If not, I would read this as saying that liking a student enough to admit and deciding to fund them is rolled into one decision. It's not clear whether the interviews are used on students they are unsure about or interested in funding though. Since today's the 4th, that sucks tremendously. 

I definitely agree. This is a confusing email. 

See, that's the thing, I know they do admit students without funding...so I still don't know what to think! Still no further emails though, so I suppose it's not looking great...or maybe it is?  :P NO IDEA.

On Wolverine Access (Michigan), I now see the buttons "Accept/Decline financial aid, Financial planning calculators, My scholarship profile", buttons that I did not see before. Is that something that happens with everyone today or it happens to people that are about to receive an acceptance letter?

On Wolverine Access (Michigan), I now see the buttons "Accept/Decline financial aid, Financial planning calculators, My scholarship profile", buttons that I did not see before. Is that something that happens with everyone today or it happens to people that are about to receive an acceptance letter?

I've had those buttons for a while, and I know others who have as well... I don't think it has to do with acceptance. Sorry :(

Perhaps they cannot finalize their decision until the application is marked as complete (if your official transcript is the only item left to complete your app). The official transcript might be a University wide requirement before any action (I assume a positive action since a rejection comes to incomplete applications as well) can be taken on the application.

That said, weird that they want an official transcript. All of my applications except for one wanted just a scanned version of the official and I would only need an official transcript if I was accepted (and accepted their acceptance). Something about saving trees I imagine.

It makes sense what you said. I have a feeling that they might need my official transcript before they can review it. Like, the graduate office would not release the application to the department to review unless it were complete. If they can reject an incomplete application, I feel its on the basis of it being incomplete, not lacking academic merit. Just a guess though, any thoughts?

One of my applications had a button that said "view checklist" and it would bring up a checklist of all the application items, plus a status update. The status update could be submitted, in review - graduate school, in review - program, and final decision made. That status has been in review - program for about a month, and I logged in today and the button is completely gone. I am terrified as to what that means. 

One of my POI's looked at my linkedin profile twice this week.....once right after I had created it, last friday (horrifying, as I hadn't had time to put anything up).... and another time yesterday, after I had actually had the opportunity to put all of my academic and research info up. 

That can't be bad right? I keep logging in to see if anyone else has looked at it. I think I am literally going insane.

Got an e-mail from a professor at USC that I listed on my SOP personally inviting me to PhD preview day to meet with him and tour the lab.  However, I have heard nothing from the school itself.  Travel expenses out-of-pocket would be prohibitive.  How do I handle this?

Got an e-mail from a professor at USC that I listed on my SOP personally inviting me to PhD preview day to meet with him and tour the lab.  However, I have heard nothing from the school itself.  Travel expenses out-of-pocket would be prohibitive.  How do I handle this?

If you are financially in a place where you cannot travel, tell him. Try to set up a virtual meeting/tour instead.

Over the weekend, I decided to reread my SOPs to try to reassure myself that they really were not that horrible (yes, I am a blithering idiot). And then I saw it . . . the sentence without a verb. On the essay that I must have read over at least two dozen times and even forced my poor roommate to read. Yes, I "Gibbs-slapped" myself in the back of the head for that one!

Just be honest with him about it. But I think you're worried over nothing. I have never heard of a case where an admissions visit was not reimbursed. The school is probably just behind or not communicating well with your POI. He can remedy this. 

Anyone else get a request from a school they are applying to to send a final transcript after their grades of the current semester have posted? I thought they only asked for this once you're accepted. Why are they asking for it now?!?

....Haven't heard a peep, nor have I seen anything from my top choice in the results search (except for a post from 3 years ago). Maybe people in my field tend not to use grad cafe?? 

So this must mean I probably won't hear back until May, when they send all the rejections they forgot about. Right??

My "no news is good news" motto is becoming harder to believe in every day....!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new one:

I had been communicating with POI (at one of my top choices) for a couple of months, and emailed them back in November right after I submitted the application. They emailed back about a week later thanking me for the info, and said they would contact me once they had more information about what recruitment would look like.

I have not heard anything in two months... Surely I have been rejected, right?? 

I know only one thing for certain: I am terrible at the waiting game. 

Oh gosh, I have something similar happening. I had been communicating with my POI at my top choice and before my interview with him back in January he told me that they he will likely be making decisions not long after interview weekend. 

It's been over a month after interview weekend. What does "not long" even mean?!

As you can see, I am also terrible at the waiting game. 

I saw some rejections for the school on the results page but I'm not sure if they were people who interviewed as well or people who didn't. It seems that I am overanalyzing everything and everything is driving me absolutely crazy. 

Have you heard anything back yet? I wish you the best of luck. 

I got a rejection snail mail from a university, followed up by an email two weeks later indicating that they just secured $ for a student, and that I was on top of the list. The email was sent @10 PM on a Sunday :)

I'm invited to "visitation day for admitted students" and the secretary is requesting official transcripts... So I think I got accepted?

Haven't heard a peep from the other places I interviewed at. Not sure what is taking so long.

Edited by TheMercySeat

I got a rejection snail mail from a university, followed up by an email two weeks later indicating that they just secured $ for a student, and that I was on top of the list. The email was sent @10 PM on a Sunday :)

I'm invited to "visitation day for admitted students" and the secretary is requesting official transcripts... So I think I got accepted?

Haven't heard a peep from the other places I interviewed at. Not sure what is taking so long.

I'd definitely email them to be sure, but it sounds promising.

I got an email from the POI talking about the masters program and soon after an official rejection for PhD from the program director but they recommended MS admission.

The email clearly states I need to officially apply, email them to transfer the documents and then they will give a positive recommendation for Masters admission and that they're giving me until April end to make decision. Does this mean I'm in for masters?! Or can I still be rejected?

I've re-read ALL correspondence with POI re-read the decision from the program director and I'm reading wayyy too much into it. Help!

Sounds like it. Congrats!

Was just given an ID number for a school I applied for 6 weeks ago and have been asked for official transcripts from my undergrad institution (application accepted only unofficial transcripts). I called and they told me a decision has been made but cannot release it over the phone.

Good sign?

All my overanalyzing thoughts from the past few weeks:

Upon getting an application received email from the research degree secretary: It's a one-sentence email without a period at the end saying they'll notify me of the outcome asap? Geez, I hope my materials don't end up lost somewhere... :unsure:

Upon getting a school ID number and account a week later: Neat, this must be a good sign. i'm sure I'll hear something soon. :)

Two weeks later, having heard nothing: What did I do to deserve this... oh god... even though I met with my POI personally, and he seemed enthusiastic about my research proposal and said there were good opportunities for me at the school and they'd love to have me, I am sure I have no chance at all now. just reject me already :( :( :(

Yesterday, upon getting a hit on my Academia profile from that school's city: Oh!! They must not have just thrown my application in the trash! Are they still interested in me? Wait, what if they found something incriminating and hate me now? *frantically googles self* Ok well all you find are my basic facebook, linkedin and academia.edu pages... employment history, research interests and schools, nothing on there I didn't write in the app form... BUT WHAT IF THAT GIVES THE IMPRESSION I'M BORING?? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Tomorrow is -the day- I calculated based on the estimate on their website of when they ~typically~ respond to applications. But who knows if that's an accurate number or the "ideal" they want to project. Either way, if I don't hear anything tomorrow and have to wait the whole weekend... I may go nuts :lol:

Was just given an ID number for a school I applied for 6 weeks ago and have been asked for official transcripts from my undergrad institution (application accepted only unofficial transcripts). I called and they told me a decision has been made but cannot release it over the phone.

Good sign?

I would think this actually great news as I believe they require your transcript in order to confirm your admission.