Let's Overanalyze Together

firewisp11

I just read on the forum that someone posted a rejection from the PhD level of the program that I applied to (for the MA). I'm nervous now that I haven't been accepted. I have no idea what the process is like. Do PhD applications get reviewed first? Do they send rejections as they weed out applicants? I am freaking out.

I think it is dependent upon what the department is doing that year.  A few of us PhD apps for my top program have discovered all the MA admits have gone out...like a month ago.  None of us have any word on anything at the PhD level and we are freaking out....the reverse of you.  

I think it is dependent upon what the department is doing that year.  A few of us PhD apps for my top program have discovered all the MA admits have gone out...like a month ago.  None of us have any word on anything at the PhD level and we are freaking out....the reverse of you.  

Oh gosh. Now would be the time for some magical information to appear that tells us when different levels of applications are reviewed and when those applicants are notified. I have been frantically searching to find info on whether or not there's a method to the madness that is application reviewing, and I haven't found anything, except for ONE person (8 years ago) saying that MA decisions went out first. Fingers crossed that we all hear some good news! 

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

"Where else have you been accepted?" From a POI at a school I haven't heard from yet. Ahhh

That is probably one of my least favorite questions during an interview - mainly because if i list the schools my POI will eventually reject me because he/she will think "he's definitely a better fit at that school than here". That may be your opinion, but it's not what I think!!

A few people have been accepted to insert school here, therefore we have all been rejected by all schools we've applied for

Three people I interviewed with received their acceptances by phone shortly after their interview... therefore, I concluded that it means I've been rejected as well  :wacko:

Right, I just went through the list of current graduate students in my program of choice in my intended university and to my suprise all the students ( about 10 of them) are from India/the middle east..Concurrently, they also seem to have joint undergrad degrees and Profiles(with several research works with Acclaimed Professors) at top research websites over the web.

Now, I'm an African applicant, and although I am qualified for the program(on the basis of GPA, I shld be quite highly placed) but I cant help but think they probably won't really consider me, not that they are racists, no, but since I dont hold a joint undergrad degree and have only one research paper, They wont see me as a fit into such research intensive programme.

:( :( :(

That is probably one of my least favorite questions during an interview - mainly because if i list the schools my POI will eventually reject me because he/she will think "he's definitely a better fit at that school than here". That may be your opinion, but it's not what I think!!

I don't mind the where else have you applied question. It's the "where else have you been accepted" part as though I've already been accepted to the program she works for. Ahhhhh

Edit: you can't use html coding on this forum?

Edited by BiochemMom

I've watched more and more people get rejected by NYU, and I've still heard nary a peep from them.  I feel like I'm the new Katniss sadistically trapped in The Doctoral Games (but without two cute guys fighting over me . . . I just have a dog trying to fight my computer for my attention).

I have a general question: is a POI getting in touch with you once the application has been "approved" by the department standard? Or does it vary depending on the program, admissions process, and their personality?

I just got an automated notification when I was accepted to my masters program, but I hadn't emailed beyond one or two questions with anyone at that school. This POI I met with (albeit casually, not an actual interview) and emailed back and forth some feedback on my applications materials before I submitted. My academia page was googled this week by someone in the city where my first choice school is, so I imagine that means I'm being looked into by the department now... maybe?

A few rejections were posted for my program last Friday.  Based on past years it seems like they send out some rejections, then waitlist and admits, and then sometimes additional rejections, spaced through about a week.

So now I'm overanalyzing like crazy.  Am I in?  Am I at least waitlisted?  WHY ON EARTH DON'T THEY SEND ALL THE DECISIONS ON THE SAME DAY?  pheeeeeeeee.

• 4 weeks later...

What I hate about the email notifications is that around the time acceptances should be going out I freak out every time my phone dings.  And then I'm like, "I don't give a shit that there's a sale at Old Navy!!!!!!" 

This is me!!!! everyday for the last month :(

So glad I'm not the only one overanalyzing.  Yesterday when I was clicking around the website of the last program I'm waiting to hear from (searching for clues as to whether or not I'm admitted because I may be a little obsessed), I was able to look at the schedule of classes(which is also the class registration page) but today I looked again and now I am not able to look at it. So I'm taking that to mean I'm not accepted. Or they just updated something with the website...but probably that I didn't get accepted.

At this point I just really want to know the decision either way :unsure:

What I hate about the email notifications is that around the time acceptances should be going out I freak out every time my phone dings.  And then I'm like, "I don't give a shit that there's a sale at Old Navy!!!!!!" 

This is literally me on a daily basis. Unless Old Navy starts holding 30 and 40% off grad school tuition sales, I am uninterested.

i emailed the director of program operations asking if letters would be sent to permanent addresses or mailing addresses. she replied back saying that my letter hasn't gone out. i've seen a ton of accepted folks and other folks who received the "we just mailed your decision!" email.... what does this mean?!?!?!!?!?!  :unsure:

I finally got an acceptance from my first choice program!! (conditional on me submitting some original documents and so on) but in the letter it listed my supervisors and... the initial POI I talked with and was interested in isn't on there. There's another prof I met with during a campus visit and one I don't know but looking on the website her work is tangentially related to my interests as well. Is this a bit of a snub or could the original POI I talked to just have too much on their plate now VS 4 months ago when I met with them? sigh....

it's silly but the application process with this school came across as so disorganized even though the profs I met with were nice and enthusiastic which was what made it my first choice... but now I'm thinking my second choice may be better :\ dunno if this is just annoyance at admin burnout or a gut feeling sign of actual problems with the school itself

i emailed the director of program operations asking if letters would be sent to permanent addresses or mailing addresses. she replied back saying that my letter hasn't gone out. i've seen a ton of accepted folks and other folks who received the "we just mailed your decision!" email.... what does this mean?!?!?!!?!?!  :unsure:

I am having the same issue.

apparently some places send them out in batches. I'm not sure if this means that there are acceptances given at different times or that rejections are last. i would hope it means that they go in batches...

I am having the same issue.

apparently some places send them out in batches. I'm not sure if this means that there are acceptances given at different times or that rejections are last. i would hope it means that they go in batches...

to update you on what happened, i received an email yesterday informing me that the admissions committee didn't review my application due to a system glitch. decisions were due by 3/31 and they wanted to let me know that they would send my decision by the end of the week. i wake up this morning to an email with a PDF attached (not even on a letterhead): REJECTED!  :angry:  :(

i'm a little mad because i'm questioning how much time they spent reviewing my application. their website boasts how they review each applicant holistically and carefully. i wish there was an appeal process, but due to the competitive nature of the field i'm applying into, i don't think they would like to review all appealed applications. 

Edited by arf09