Let's Overanalyze Together

firewisp11

Now that many schools notify applicants through an email/website update, when is the most likely time for a decision notification to show up?

Weekdays? Only during business hours? At the end of the week?

Feel free to share your experience or simply overanalyze and speculate with me! 

I only got a 168 on quant, retake?

Definitely. I had a 4.0 undergrad with 132 first-author publications an a 169 quant and got rejected from every school I applied to.

Really, though, that's what it feels like everyone else is saying to me. No wonder academics get hit so hard with imposter syndrome. 

I believe someone did graphs on one of the boards to analyze what day of the week most people heard back on, when in the month, etc. I'm on mobile, but I do know that the likelihood to hear back from a school increases as the week goes on, culminates in Friday, and decreases on weekends.

I believe someone did graphs on one of the boards to analyze what day of the week most people heard back on, when in the month, etc. I'm on mobile, but I do know that the likelihood to hear back from a school increases as the week goes on, culminates in Friday, and decreases on weekends.

You are a kind soul for sharing that information :) I would love to see the original graphs if anyone knows where to find them!

Now I have that much more reason to drink the anxiety away on Friday

A few people have been accepted to insert school here, therefore we have all been rejected by all schools we've applied for

This 100 million times.  Even "a few people have gotten interviews at X, and I haven't heard anything, so I'm not getting in anywhere."

I went through my e-mail history with the graduate recruiter at one of the schools I applied to, just so I could see at what time 'boundaries' they sent out e-mails. Now all I can think is, "so, you sent me an e-mail at 7:30 am one time, now I MUST CHECK THE EMAIL"

Suddenly I can think of at least four schools I didn't apply to which I think I should have applied to.
What if I don't get into any of the 9 I did apply to? Would I have gotten into the schools I didn't think to bother with?

I keep dreaming about getting rejected from schools.... And then I had a dream that I got accepted, and it was soooo much worse to wake up from. 

It just makes me analyze so much more.

Now that many schools notify applicants through an email/website update, when is the most likely time for a decision notification to show up?

Weekdays? Only during business hours? At the end of the week?

Feel free to share your experience or simply overanalyze and speculate with me! 

From my experience and that of the four other people I know getting grad school notifications:

Yes, only weekdays.

Yes, only business hours (with the exception of UM Ann Arbor which sent out an acceptance at 5AM in their time zone).

The notifications have come in Wed-Fri. Usually in the afternoon. 

From my experience and that of the four other people I know getting grad school notifications:

Yes, only weekdays.

Yes, only business hours (with the exception of UM Ann Arbor which sent out an acceptance at 5AM in their time zone).

The notifications have come in Wed-Fri. Usually in the afternoon. 

Hm, for what it's worth I've gotten one late in the evening on a Saturday.

The only pattern in responses I've seen so far is that there is no pattern! I've gotten interview invites the Sunday before Christmas, on a Wednesday evening, a Thursday night, the morning of a holiday, a Saturday night, and only one during a time that "makes sense", on a Wednesday morning. They always catch me totally by surprise! (In a good way of course.) 

Whelp Jan. 26th is the first day that people started getting responses based on my analyses of the results search, and I haven't heard from anyone. Guess that means I'm done for, even if only 1/2000 of the results I read were posted on Jan. 26th.

Yeah, you're screwed. I'm screwed. We're all screwed. Let's start a band.