2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

Hey everyone, just jumping in on this thread. I was accepted at Northwestern a few days ago. I'm actually a fourth year PhD student transferring out of the program at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign because the department here is basically collapsing. So kind of in a weird boat. Anyway, congrats to everyone getting offers and good luck to everyone else!

Congrats to everyone accepted yesterday!

Anyone else applied to Miami? There was a single first acceptance, but no further notifications afterwards. I know acceptances can be spread out, but I'm wondering if I have reasons to be concerned already.

Congrats to everyone who got offers today and yesterday!

Berkeley has been silent on me - so I'm in a down mode at the moment :(, half-despairing, half-praying that they haven't released all their offers. Good luck to you fellow Berkeley applicants!

Congrats to everyone accepted yesterday!

Anyone else applied to Miami? There was a single first acceptance, but no further notifications afterwards. I know acceptances can be spread out, but I'm wondering if I have reasons to be concerned already.

I didn't apply to Miami but Vanderbilt. And no words yet. It is really hard to find out if they send all acceptances same day or acceptances spread out. It depends on the school I guess.

Congrats everybody who got acceptance btw.

Berkeley has been silent on me - so I'm in a down mode at the moment :(, half-despairing, half-praying that they haven't released all their offers. Good luck to you fellow Berkeley applicants!

Good luck everyone! I'm almost positive they didn't release all the acceptances at once.

There is only one acceptance from Berkeley posted. No wait lists from Berkeley have been posted. So it seems likely that Berkeley has yet to finish sending out offers and wait list notifications.

I'd be shocked if I hear any good news from them, personally. But best of luck to you!

Hey all,

I can claim the Stony Brook acceptance! I also got accepted to Vanderbilt and Temple. What are you interested to know?

(I have always looked around these forums, but this is my first post. So...hello!)

Congrats. I'll be applying to Stony Brook next year so I'm just living vicariously through those who are accepted this year. what are your AOIs?

Haha. Good luck!... And thank you! It's been a whirlwind.

I'm interested in Merleau-Pontian phenomenology, aesthetics, and cultural study, and also using analytic and continental thought in tandem to discuss issues of consciousness, mind, and aesthetic experience.

Haha. Good luck!... And thank you! It's been a whirlwind.

I'm interested in Merleau-Pontian phenomenology, aesthetics, and cultural study, and also using analytic and continental thought in tandem to discuss issues of consciousness, mind, and aesthetic experience.

Very cool.

reixis, it might be helpful to reread this: (http://schwitzsplinters.blogspot.com.tr/2007/10/applying-to-philosophy-phd-program-part.html)

There's a general agreement among philosophy Ph.D. programs that applicants have until April 15 to decide whether to accept an offer of admission. This deadline drives the process.

Schools with a hard cap on their admissions offers might be permitted by the administration to admit only eight students, for example, or to offer funding (in the form of T.A.-ships and fellowships) to only eight students. These schools will try to admit those eight students quickly (in February, maybe) and will often pressure those students to make a decision as soon as they can so that if they decline, another student further down the list can be admitted or offered funding.

Other departments will target a certain entering class size and admit approximately twice that many students (or more or less, depending on the "yield" rates in recent years) with the expectation that about half of the admitted students will decline. (For example, UCR was aiming for 10-12 last year. We admitted 24 and got 11.) In principle, these departments could admit all those students early in the process, but in fact things often fall behind. If the number of students accepting offers seems to be falling short of expectations, a few may be admitted at the last minute.

If you're at the top of a department's list, expect (typically, depending on the committee's speed) to hear mid-Februrary to mid-March. Applicants lower down on the list may not hear until April, even April 15th itself! You may not hear good news about funding, in particular, until very near the April 15th deadline, if the department has a hard cap on funding. Be ready on April 15th to make an immediate decision about an offer should one come -- and don't be too far from the phone! It's not unreasonable to ask for an additional day or two to decide, should you hear on April 15th, but the department may or may not comply with such a request.

It's generally in the interest of the applicants, then, to wait on their decisions until April 15. However, it is in the interest of departments to extract decisions from applicants as early as possible. Unfortunate!

Occasionally, if an entering class is looking smaller than expected, a department may admit someone after April 15th. That student may already have committed to another school. Generally speaking, it's good to keep to your commitments, but if the one program is much more appealing than the other, I'd recommend reneging with a heartfelt apology!

Hi all! Long-time lurker on these forums, finally sat down and made an account. Wishing everyone good luck with the (hopefully) flood of acceptances that you will all get here in the next few weeks!

I was wondering if anyone knew about the admittance process at Indiana for their History and Philosophy of Science program. I received an email yesterday morning saying I was on the waitlist for the program (yay!). There don't, however, seem to be any acceptances posted yet (there are just 3 waitlisted entries). Is this common for school to release waitlists before acceptances? Or is there something specific about the department that I don't know about? Or have people just not posted their acceptances here yet (although who isn't checking this damn thing constantly and wanting to post their acceptances?!)?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. And, again, good luck everyone!

Edited by dullandwitlessboy

Hi all! Long-time lurker on these forums, finally sat down and made an account. Wishing everyone good luck with the (hopefully) flood of acceptances that you will all get here in the next few weeks!

I was wondering if anyone knew about the admittance process at Indiana for their History and Philosophy of Science program. I received an email yesterday morning saying I was on the waitlist for the program (yay!). There don't, however, seem to be any acceptances posted yet (there are just 3 waitlisted entries). Is this common for school to release waitlists before acceptances? Or is there something specific about the department that I don't know about? Or have people just not posted their acceptances here yet (although who isn't checking this damn thing constantly and wanting to post their acceptances?!)?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. And, again, good luck everyone!

I was also wait-listed at Indiana for their HPS program. You and I have similar questions (as well as interests). 

Looking over the forums from last year, it seems they told those on the wait-list what number they were. No such luck this year (so far anyway). 

I'm probably missing something, but where is everybody seeing that X school has sent out Y notification other than their own?

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy

Gradcafe has a survey page, in addition to these forums. I encourage everyone to post their results! It means a great deal to the rest of us.

Hey all,

I can claim the Stony Brook acceptance! I also got accepted to Vanderbilt and Temple. What are you interested to know?

(I have always looked around these forums, but this is my first post. So...hello!)

Congratulations!

This will be my first post as well.

I received my first notification yesterday afternoon, and I am an alternate for Vanderbilt.

Congratulations to all admits! 

Edited by tacitmonument