2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

There's now a second Brown acceptance. 

Never mind! I searched "philosophy brown" in TGC admissions results page, and what I thought was a second 2015 acceptance was in fact the last 2014 acceptance. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy+brown&t=a&o=&pp=25. Oops.  

I nearly fooled myself doing the exact same thing. And for what it's worth, I've now confirmed the legitimacy of the UCLA acceptance.

Looks like we have a UCLA acceptance as well. As with the Brown acceptance, I'm a bit skeptical due to how early it is (UCLA typically doesn't release until the very end of February), so can anyone confirm it?

Confirming UCLA (I was not the first poster). Unofficial email from John Carriero. Woo!

I was just coming to ask. It'd be weird for two reasons: Princeton usually sends out rejections and acceptances at the same time, and they usually don't notify anybody this early.

Completely, totally, absolutely unrelated: I'd take a Princeton or UCLA acceptance email.

What a turbulent time! Posts about Virginia, Brown, Toronto, UCLA, and Princeton all on the same day. (It's already past 2am where I live, and I'm staying up, refreshing the result page every 10 minutes. :wacko:)

EDIT: Got an acceptance from Toronto!  :lol:

Edited by Hcarp

What a turbulent time! Posts about Virginia, Brown, Toronto, UCLA, and Princeton all on the same day. (It's already past 2am where I live, and I'm staying up, refreshing the result page every 10 minutes. :wacko:)

I think it's safe to say that the Princeton post was a joke, and that the Virginia post was international, meaning Virginia--and also Princeton--has yet to release its acceptances.

Accepted to Toronto.

2a/0w/2 unofficial r (based on news of acceptances)

So you mean that you are assuming you've been rejected because acceptances have already gone out and you weren't one of them? If so, don't some schools send out acceptances (and wait lists) in multiple waves? Edited by TheNaturalist

Generally how long does it take to send out the batch of acceptance emails from a department to the accepted students, assuming they are doing it all in one day? So let's say Virginia was releasing all its acceptances today. Would they email people over a several hour time period, or all at once, assuming individual, personal emails?

So you mean that you are assuming you've been rejected because acceptances have already gone out and you weren't one of them? If so, don't some schools send out acceptances (and wait lists) in multiple waves?

A very few schools do this. UCLA sent out roughly two waves of acceptances last year, and it was one of the only schools that did this.

Departments generally adopt one of the following practices:

- admit and wait-list a group of people within a few days of each other; send out rejections later (e.g. UC Berkeley)

- reject a group, then accept/waitlist the rest (e.g. WUSTL)

- admit a group of people; keep a list of wait-listed people, but don't inform those people; admit a few people later; eventually reject everyone not admitted (e.g. UCLA)

- admit a group; reject everyone else immediately (though notifications may go much later); effectively, no one is wait-listed (e.g. University of Chicago)

Some people may find this page helpful.

Edited by ianfaircloud

Generally how long does it take to send out the batch of acceptance emails from a department to the accepted students, assuming they are doing it all in one day? So let's say Virginia was releasing all its acceptances today. Would they email people over a several hour time period, or all at once, assuming individual, personal emails?

Who knows. Based on the two schools I got into, I think they sent out a single round of acceptances in a small wave.

A very few schools do this. UCLA sent out roughly two waves of acceptances last year, and it was one of the only schools that did this.

Departments generally adopt one of the following practices:

- admit and wait-list a group of people within a few days of each other; send out rejections later (e.g. UC Berkeley)

- reject a group, then accept/waitlist the rest (e.g. WUSTL)

- admit a group of people; keep a list of wait-listed people, but don't inform those people; admit a few people later; eventually reject everyone not admitted (e.g. UCLA)

- admit a group; reject everyone else immediately (though notifications may go much later); effectively, no one is wait-listed (e.g. University of Chicago)

Some people may find this page helpful.

Although I just looked at UVA and they send out acceptances over a 3-4 day period last year. Then a week later, they send out wait list notifications.

Someone just reported an acceptance to Boston College via postal service. After looking at previous years for Boston College it seems characteristic of them to do a few early admits via postal service, then some via email and a mix of rejections in there. As well - it looks like they make some additional late acceptances, hard to say if they are from waitlists or not.

Is there any chance that Virginia will spread out its acceptances over a few days, like not just today (Wednesday), but Thursday and Friday? They seem to have done that in 2014, but in 2013 there was only one acceptance notification for Virginia on one day and one waitlist notification on another day before all the rejections went out. I'm just wondering if I should give up on the school and move on to somewhere else.

I'm very happy- just got accepted to Temple! Applying as an undergrad from an unknown school this is really, REALLY thrilling to have this locked in! It was an added benefit I happened to be with my family when I received the email haha!I don't know how much longer Joseph Margolis will be there- is is quite up there in age (he is brilliant- I wish there was a way to preserve him and keep him in good shape because I would love to work with him!) I know they have fabulous specialization in German Idealism, I just need to make sure the few profs they have that are analytic-oriented will be around for awhile still! I have more programs I applied to, but this was a great surprise!