MPH Acceptance Packages

Femtastic

I thought it would be nice to start a thread on BEST/WORST acceptance packages. I know some schools mail fancy packages, while other merely send you a letter.

This is meant to be a fun thread.

Also, maybe best/worst rejection letters? I know rejection letters suck, but some are more thoughtful than others...

I'll start with Boston, red folder with the simple words "You're in." in the front. That was kind of nice.

Washington University in St. Louis sent me the standard run of the mill folder, it didn't even relate to acceptance on the front. Columbia didn't send anything in the mail, apparently all their forms are online. I only got into Tulane today so no clue if they're sending a package or just a letter. I heard from a webinar that if you get into Emory they send you a gift!

So far WashU was my favorite; I got 2 personal e-mails before the acceptance e-mail, and then they sent the folder with more information, including the scholarship offer. After I submitted my FAFSA, they followed up really quickly with my final financial aid package. They are awesome at quick and personal communication!

Pitt just sent a simple e-mail and a one-page acceptance letter that said masters students get 0 funding. They did send a couple of follow up form e-mails and a one-page letter from someone who graduated, but it all was very short and impersonal.

U of Florida was pretty straightforward as well, and it was just an e-mail with attachments. Financial aid info is supposed to come after their Feb deadline.

Emory's packet is on the way and it sounds like theirs will be the best, they are sending it via FedEx and it's supposed to contain a "gift." They also have an accepted students portal with a lot of information.

I haven't received Columbia's mailing yet either. Just got their e-mail.

LAWD JEEBUS. I'm actually so glad I'm not the only one thinking of something this shallow (no shade, but  it's so comforting to hear other people's opinions). 

I currently work in customer service, so presentation is everything!

So far, Pitt and Texas have the worst presentation. Pitt's letter was semi depressing, despite being accepted ("reminder, we aren't giving you any money. so, figure that out yourself"). and it came as a folded up piece of paper. I thought it was a bill in the mail at first..I will say that the departmental dean (epi for me) did send an email with some informative attachments about courses and a list of student contacts, etc. which was a friendly gesture

Texas claimed in mid-January that they would be mailing my package info. It's February. zilch. Also, they're experiencing a lot of system glitches and I'm on the receiving end of that drama. boooo

Boston! oh, hunty, their presentation was beeeautiful. I'm also biased because they included financial aid info (yay!).  Nice full size red envelope, large font for my poor eyesight, did I mention they already had finaid info included?? plus their letter was very pleasant (nice ego stroke, BU). Icing on cake: signed by hand, in real ink (I think)!

Now onto Emory. It's my alma mater, so I'm extra biased, but dAYUM. seriously, they have they're junk together. Haven't received the physical package yet, but their admitted students page is the best I've seen so far.  They even have the employment stats of students who graduated in 2013 (and will be updating the stats for the 2014 grads). Let me explain to you how useful and amazeballs this is:

1. they broke it down by concentration
  2. they broke it down by full-time, part-time, unemployed, and still seeking
  3. they broke it down by how many months it took the students to find employment
  4. they included average salary ranges post graduation by concentration
  5. they included the most popular sectors for employment
  6. they even evaluated the average number of resumes students had to send before securing employment 
  7. and more..

I have yet to see another school provide such transparent information, and I don't understand why everyone doesn't do this, to this level of detail. why why why?!!?!? (am I not looking hard enough?By the way, they're stats were pretty stellar. very reassuring. even if they haven't sent me financial aid package info, it's sorta comforting to know that at least they're students have been successful post-graduation. woo go eagles!

Lastly, U Miami, they're a little slow on the distribution of information. That's all I have to say. 

still waiting on a couple more schools but, I'm pretty much expecting rejections from here on out tbh

Edited by crayola_deville

When I got into Emory for my MPH back in 2009, they sent me a nice black leather portfolio. They were the only school I got into who sent a gift and I actually still use it a good 5+ years later. And when I was at a PhD interview a few weeks ago, I could identify my fellow Emory grads by their nice leather portfolios... I don't know if they still do the same gift, but I hope so! Very classy and practical.

So far for PhD, I've only got into Washington. They sent me an acceptance via email, but the only thing I've gotten mailed to me so far is a bill for $200 to reserve my spot and reminder that they didn't guarantee funding... sigh.

When I got into Emory for my MPH back in 2009, they sent me a nice black leather portfolio. They were the only school I got into who sent a gift and I actually still use it a good 5+ years later. And when I was at a PhD interview a few weeks ago, I could identify my fellow Emory grads by their nice leather portfolios... I don't know if they still do the same gift, but I hope so! Very classy and practical.

So far for PhD, I've only got into Washington. They sent me an acceptance via email, but the only thing I've gotten mailed to me so far is a bill for $200 to reserve my spot and reminder that they didn't guarantee funding... sigh.

Looks like Emory's gift is still the same! Nice portfolio with a space for your tablet too! 

Thought I'd chime back in: I got my letter from Tulane today - it was the same letter from the email, just one sheet of paper and folded in a plain envelope. If I didn't already know I'd gotten in, I would've assumed I was rejected!

Boston - Has their sh** together. Very impressed with their admissions office and timeliness. Received a large envelope with folder and scholarship info.

Emory - awaiting my "gift!"

Michigan - Notified by emails and then received a cute little "Key to Public Health" flash drive. Sent in a beat up shipping envelope though and the letter was all wrinkled :( 

Thought I'd chime back in: I got my letter from Tulane today - it was the same letter from the email, just one sheet of paper and folded in a plain envelope. If I didn't already know I'd gotten in, I would've assumed I was rejected!

Hi there! About how long did it take from Tulane receiving your application to your acceptance did it take? Did your letter say anything about financial aid? AHHH I'm too excited. Thanks!!

Does anyone get scholarship from Columbia? Do they actually give any scholarship for master?

From the SDN forum it sounds like a couple have gotten scholarship info, but most have not yet. They should be releasing it before their first admitted students day, which is March 6. Columbia does have scholarships for masters students, but I'm not sure how much they are.

From the SDN forum it sounds like a couple have gotten scholarship info, but most have not yet. They should be releasing it before their first admitted students day, which is March 6. Columbia does have scholarships for masters students, but I'm not sure how much they 

Thanks!! Are you also get admitted? Do you plan to go?

Thanks!! Are you also get admitted? Do you plan to go?

I did! I am not sure. It is a great opportunity, but New York is so expensive that it will definitely depend on what Columbia and Emory are offering scholarship wise. WashU already has offered a scholarship and even sent a fellowship application, so they're making me feel really comfortable about affording to go there. I guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks!!

Anybody applied to UMiami? I was accepted way back in December, but they have recently ramped up their recruiting efforts it seems. I'm getting quite a few calls and emails...

I was just accepted last week!  So far I've only received an email.  I haven't toured the school and I'm not familiar with the area so I've been using Google Street View to get a feel for the med campus.  :P

I was also accepted to FSU (2/3/15) and they said in the email I'd be receiving orientation materials shortly but I haven't heard anything since...

I was just accepted last week!  So far I've only received an email.  I haven't toured the school and I'm not familiar with the area so I've been using Google Street View to get a feel for the med campus.  :P

I was also accepted to FSU (2/3/15) and they said in the email I'd be receiving orientation materials shortly but I haven't heard anything since...

I thought it would be nice to start a thread on BEST/WORST acceptance packages. I know some schools mail fancy packages, while other merely send you a letter.

This is meant to be a fun thread.

Also, maybe best/worst rejection letters? I know rejection letters suck, but some are more thoughtful than others...

I'll start with Boston, red folder with the simple words "You're in." in the front. That was kind of nice.

How long did it take for your package from BU to come? I'm probably just being antsy but I feel like it's taking forever! Of course, this could be due to the fact that Boston is buried under 7 feet of snow...

They were actually pretty quick. Took no longer than a week to get my package from BU. Plus all the extra emails they've been sending. They're on their game! The chair of the department I applied to sent a personalized email asking me what professor's research I'm interested in so they can get me in contact with them. Pretty nice!

How long did it take for your package from BU to come? I'm probably just being antsy but I feel like it's taking forever! Of course, this could be due to the fact that Boston is buried under 7 feet of snow...

Edited by Femtastic

Hi future MPHers, 

I am graduating with my MPH this semester but I wanted to chime in on the Columbia question- I had received a 30k/year scholarship from them but I can't remember what it was called. They certainly give scholarships, but they're rare. I got it about a week after my acceptance. 

I still use my Emory portfolio despite not going there. 

Received my acceptance letter from Temple today.  It was just a single sheet basically rehashing what I received in an email telling me I might be receiving more correspondence from the epi/biostats department.  Maybe there'll be something more impressive.

I'm waiting on Mercer's packet too, we'll see how that goes.