ASHA Pre-reqs

I didn't take much science in undergrad, but did take a few, and am trying to figure out what I need to take of the ASHA requirements now.

I'm taking statistics this semester. I have an email out to the program I'm attending regarding the others but haven't heard back yet. How do you know which of the others you need to take? Do you have to take them before starting the grad program or just before graduating? I'd REALLY rather not take 3 science classes this summer in addition to the one last comm-d one I have left.

This link may be useful - http://csd.syr.edu/_pdfs_CSD/Background_requirements_slp.pdf

It is for a specific grad program but the information is general about most programs and what classes are required. I believe most schools will have different requirements about taking some classes before/during their program, so it would be best to verify with your school what they prefer. 

Ack! Thanks for the link - figured that it specifies and "generally not accepted" nutrition and geology, which were 2 I was really hoping would cover it. Guess I won't really know til I hear back from the school. I graduated 14 years ago, and am very grouchy about how those course decisions are now going to destroy my summer! I found an awesome place to volunteer at, and was hoping to have a little time to do that instead.

One thing I have heard is that some schools just look for the Physics or Biology prefix. So if your nutrition class was BIOL 2336 vs HLTH 2336, that might make a difference. Per ASHA's guidelines, they leave it up to the school to decide if your math/science core courses are appropriate, so the best bet is to check with the schools you're applying to.

I have an ASHA requirement question too. I'm kind of confused about the math requirement. I have heard/seen conflicting information that the only kind of statistics that is acceptable is MATH or STAT prefix courses. I took a year long intensive statistics course with a PSYC prefix in my psychology undergrad. I was told by different people that ASHA won't accept this for the requirement, and some people told me they would. I may have to take statistics this summer if they don't take the PSYC prefix class. I will be a little angry if I have to pay to take stats again when I took an entire year of it already...

I thought the new ASHA standards changed this so they only accept MATH prefix courses but I may be wrong...

Does anyone know with certainty whether Research Methods or PSYC prefix math is acceptable?

Edited by neuronparty

Hi,

Did you know that ASHA now accepts CLEP tests for the sciences and AP for stats requirements?  BUT, some schools do not accept them, so it's best to check with them.  I took the Natural Sciences exam, which is 6 credits and (hopefully) covers both science requirements.  I'm also hoping to avoid doing stats this summer, so am going to look in to the AP exam for that ... but it all depends if I end up getting accepted anywhere!

The ASHA requirements have recently changed. Your physical science must be physics or chemistry. Your life science must be a human bio, anatomy/phisiology, or animal biology. Check oUT the ASHA website to be sure what classes you need. You may still get into a program, but if you don't have a suitable science you'll have to take it during your grad program so you can become asha certified. This happened to me.

I have an ASHA requirement question too. I'm kind of confused about the math requirement. I have heard/seen conflicting information that the only kind of statistics that is acceptable is MATH or STAT prefix courses. I took a year long intensive statistics course with a PSYC prefix in my psychology undergrad. I was told by different people that ASHA won't accept this for the requirement, and some people told me they would. I may have to take statistics this summer if they don't take the PSYC prefix class. I will be a little angry if I have to pay to take stats again when I took an entire year of it already...

I thought the new ASHA standards changed this so they only accept MATH prefix courses but I may be wrong...

Does anyone know with certainty whether Research Methods or PSYC prefix math is acceptable?

I took psych stats and it fulfills the ASHA requirement. You are good to go :)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on the ASHA site that they no longer accept animal biology which is why I'm being forced to take bio again this spring. 

Yeah, I'm super confused about that... This is what I found on ASHA's website:

"Acceptable courses in biological sciences should emphasize a content area related to human or animal sciences (e.g., biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science)."  So I would think that BIO 101 & 102 should be OK, but it looks like my top choice program will only accept classes on human biology specifically... Gulp.

Yeah, I'm super confused about that... This is what I found on ASHA's website:

"Acceptable courses in biological sciences should emphasize a content area related to human or animal sciences (e.g., biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science)."  So I would think that BIO 101 & 102 should be OK, but it looks like my top choice program will only accept classes on human biology specifically... Gulp.

This is an important distinction! While ASHA may be okay with your coursework, it's possible a graduate school might not be. I'm sure you might be able to talk to them and maybe convince them to allow your coursework, though. It's worth a shot. I'm going to have to do this with the course that fulfills a biology requirement as well. :s

• 1 month later...