Waiting it out: Munk School MGA (Toronto) Fall 2015

IRbuff

I just got an email from Munk with acceptance. No funding offer though--- the email said that funding decisions will be made in mid-March. 

Congrats! tkutney and Patient of Patience! Care to share your stats?

Also, did anybody take GMAT instead of GRE? What's the general acceptance range for GMAT ?

Edited by lumberjack23

Congrats! tkutney and Patient of Patience! Care to share your stats?

Also, did anybody take GMAT instead of GRE? What's the general acceptance range for GMAT ?

Nothing noteworthy about my 'stats', honestly. I have a 3.90 undergraduate GPA at UofT. Some awards, a fellowship, etc. :-)

Same for me. I had a 3.8 GPA at BYU (down in the States, but I'm Canadian) in international relations. I suppose I have some decent international experience having lived in Japan and interned at a mission to the UN in NY, and I can speak Japanese. 

reading your stats makes me wonder... how the hell did i get in?!?!?!??!!
im glad munk looked at more than just my gpa....lol i must have had some kick-ass letters of recommendation!

For those of us who have not heard back, do not despair. I called Munk yesterday and they said that they are releasing results in "small waves" over the next "couple of week" as and when the applications are "processed." Yesterday was just the start. Good luck!

cant accept or reject anything yet.. official letters havent been sent out.

but personally, im going to make my decision shortly after they let me know what type of funding they can offer (email said it will likely be mid-March).

cant accept or reject anything yet.. official letters havent been sent out.

but personally, im going to make my decision shortly after they let me know what type of funding they can offer (email said it will likely be mid-March).

From past years, Munk offers minimal funding. You may get an entrance scholarship up to $5,000 and then you can apply to be a TA, which pays fairly well, but unlike other programs it's fairly low direct funding.

From past years, Munk offers minimal funding. You may get an entrance scholarship up to $5,000 and then you can apply to be a TA, which pays fairly well, but unlike other programs it's fairly low direct funding.

What would you say is standard funding?

I havent heard fback from the MGA program but I also applied to CERES at Munk School and got accepted. So I'm just weighing my options, concerned financially as U of T is so expensive. I knew that when I was applying but I didn't really think it through ....

Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

What would you say is standard funding?

I havent heard fback from the MGA program but I also applied to CERES at Munk School and got accepted. So I'm just weighing my options, concerned financially as U of T is so expensive. I knew that when I was applying but I didn't really think it through ....

Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

Last year Munk acceptances received 0-$5,000 dollar entrance scholarship, and that was their official funding. Many went on to snag TAships, but they are not guaranteed, and you have to apply to them, and then you were competing with the MA candidates from other U of T departments. A TA ship is generally $11,000 I believe from my friend who is going there.

I'm not sure how common external awards at Munk are, but I applied to a SSHRC, and I'm curious how that will turn out.

I know that most of our discussion has been focussed on U of T's Munk School, but has anyone heard anything from Balsillie? It's almost mid-March and acceptances last year were sent out almost a month earlier!

Nothing from the BSIA. It is weird that they are taking a lot longer than usual, but many programmes seem to be sending out offers later than they traditionally have. 

I called BSIA today, and they seemed to be a little unsure about when they'd be getting offers out. They said "sometime" after this week. Hopefully sometime does not end up being in late March, or worse, April. 

Hello everyone,

Has anyone received any results today?

I'm dying to know!!! I applied to Munk and to the MA in International Studies at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver.

Do you think the results will be out soon?

Good luck to all!

Edited by rebeccapascoal

Just received an unofficial admission offer, with some funding. It's surprisingly generous: $10,000. Good luck to everyone still waiting. 

Edited by amiabledespot

Just received an unofficial admission offer, with some funding. It's surprisingly generous: $10,000. Good luck to everyone still waiting. 

Congrats!!

Was this offer extended to you by email or phone?

Edited by maozedong