So what is everyone doing from now until they start in the fall?

Shamrock_Frog

I'll have to move later this summer. But until then I'm just working and reading whatever journal articles I can. I figure there's no time like the present to start reading up on the literature, even though I have to do rotations so I don't actually have a lab/project yet.

What are your plans?

Probably either continuing a research project or studying for quals (can take them upon entry at the place I'll likely attend), or perhaps both.... And I'll be moving a long way at the end.

Right now, my days consist of:

-checking craigslist, Trulia, and Zillow for somewhere to live, even though I probably won't move until June or July.

-thoughtlessly getting on gradcafe because I'm so used to checking up on it all the time...

-working fulltime in the lab, but I'm writing right now, so many of those hours are spent on the couch with a gazillion tabs open and my handwritten notes everywhere

-throwing said papers on the ground and going for runs with the kind encouragement of the beautiful sunshine we've been getting

-occasionally freaking out about the logistics of moving

-actually opening this cookbook I have and trying to make new things

-consuming the new House of Cards at a "reasonable" pace

-reading non-academic things for fun

-spending time with my friends and family before I can't anymore

I'll be looking for housing, and hopefully get that figured out before the summer starts.

I'm hoping to do an internship abroad this summer, but if that doesn't work out for some reason, I'll be reading journal articles and whatnot at home. And just trying to enjoy summer.

Wooooorking! Well, it's not too bad, as working means being on Orcas Island in WA, and it's kind of vacation-y just being there over the summer. I'll definitely try to make the most of it, because who knows if I'll ever have the chance to spend an entire summer there again?

Other than that, reading articles, reading books, and moving somewhere.

Working.  I suppose I should brush up on my math skills and read some journal articles too.  And get more comfortable with the research software we have and Google Scholar.  I also installed all the programs that the school supplies for free.  Free Word and Excel, endnote, virus protection (Mine ran out the 6th... perfect timing!) ect...  I really want to go to the bookstore and get my ID and explore campus during my lunch breaks since I work right there, but that would probably be a little weird...

Oh....nothing major...

Planning my wedding, getting married, and going on a honeymoon

Looking for high schools for the kids

Looking for homes to rent or buy that are big enough for all of us but not so expensive we can't afford it... (impossible in CA...)

Going through the lending process for a mortgage

Getting the house ready to put up on the market, and actually putting the house up on the market (so deep cleaning; fixing crap; painting over other crap; staging; and photos)

Helping my new stepkids prepare for the transition

Packing up the house

Garage sale or two

Finish editing three awesome books (for my clients! yikes!)

Teaching myself French

Perhaps begin studying Classical Chinese

Going on a couple visits to Santa Barbara, including one official recruitment visit, and at least one home-hunting visit

Cutting my hair and dying it a crazy color (after the wedding; I can't wait; I'm considering going Fifth Element style)

...you know... the usual...

I'm headed overseas for language study (CLS) and stressing about not being able to work and save money this summer because of it, lol! I'm hoping it rains money to cover my moving expenses to my new city after I get back to the states... I have a month between graduation and CLS, so hoping I can find something to do that month that results in getting paid :)

Visiting the school & area next month, hoping to look at a few places to live...long shot goal is to sign a lease for August

Working all summer, saving up everything I can. Luckily I love my job...and I get to work outdoors in the mountains

Planning a 2,000 mile move. Zoinks.

Putting together a "bucket list" of things I want to see, do, experience where I currently live before I set off for two years of school. I can always come back here, but I moved here right out of undergrad four years ago and want to experience other parts of the country after grad school. 

Playing on a rec league softball team to keep my sanity in check. Gotta defend that championship!

Freaking out about money. Freaking out about moving. Freaking out about almost everything involving grad school. 

I'm auditing a statistics class and a managerial accounting class at the local community college. I've been accepted for a healthcare admin program and I don't want my long dormant business knowledge to be an issue. After the term ends in May, I plan to hunt for a place to live and travel a bit before relocating in August. I love summer...

Edited by Fred Garvin

For the rest of the spring: Finish out my current job, clean up our finances, sell/donate items that we do not want to move across the US, figure out the logistics of moving for me, my husband, and our dog, and finish my bucket list for my current city/state. 

For the summer: Moving in with family and apartment hunting in the new city, start my GRA position, read up on publications from key faculty and on theory, learn my new city, and implement the logistics of moving my entire household to the new city by September. Possibly plan a wedding reception if we have time. 

I will be in DC for most of the summer doing an internship with a non profit organization. I also plan to read the autobiography of the person my graduate fellowship is named after.

I'm working full time until May when I move. After that...I'll hopefully find some sort of part time job to fill the rest of the summer. Although I think most of my time will go towards exploring my new home and spending lots of time outside. 

Working full time and playing a lot of soccer on the company team until the end of June, then treating myself to a trip with friends somewhere (Puerto Vallarta maybe?). Then moving from CA to the east coast wooooooo.

I'm continuing to work with a temp agency while occasionally helping the in-laws renovate a small house on their property near my grad school. I'm also trying to have less stuff and have a better time adulting, instead of spending my weekends being lazy. I'm also continuing my volunteering efforts with a local domestic violence shelter, even though my hours there are reduced because of the full time position I have now.

Finishing up my BA in forensic chem this semester. Over the summer I just plan on working as much as I can at my local parks & rec child care job, going camping with my friends, day trips, backyard bonfires, basically just enjoying the time I have left at home. I'll also be researching places to live at the same time to get a heads up on that. I've already got a preliminary list!

I'm leaving with my parents to drive out to Texas August 1st (I live in northern CA). I have to be at orientation on the 24th. We plan on stopping to see some relatives along the way.

For now, finishing my last exams ever (hopefully!) and then work on my master thesis until September. I will have a week off between defending my thesis and starting the new program. Actually two, if you count the orientation and partying.

Edited by Marst

*Going to school. lol. Finishing my B.A. in May.

*Then I am planning to work during the summer and try to save some money (since I will have a job that gives me free summer housing).

Hopefully trying to get in better shape over the summer as well. Maybe dye my hair a different color as well, just because.

*Then the daunting task of finding an apartment and moving to the city where I will be attending graduate school.

Edited by sackofcrap

A rough timeline: finishing my B.S. in May, vacationing in Norway/Sweden, continuing research in molecular light signaling, moving into a new apartment in a new city, attending a plant biology symposium, getting a head start for NSF GRFP,  binge reading about two dozen books, learning basic programming and statistics, spending time with family and friends, and relaxing!

-Finishing up my thesis

-RAing (hopefully - provided my professors get funding)

-Presenting at a conference at Standford

-Attending a week-long residency in New York

-Moving

-Writing abstracts

-Writing the GRE*

-Starting work on SOPs*

*will be applying to schools in the US/UK/France next year, currently in Canada and not wanting to stay.

Edited by happy little pill