Fall 2016 Applicants

pearl31

2 hours ago, JD2015 said:

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

I am currently doing bench research in molecular genetics in Boston. I have a BA in Biology as well! I am an international student, so unfortunately there aren't very many outside funding opportunities for me. 

I was wondering, when they say "students are expected to obtain at least master's-level competency in their mathematical or scientific discipline," do you know how specific the scientific discipline can get? For instance, can I get a masters in molecular biology? I ask because I didn't come across any faculty member whose research was Biology-related. 

(I don't know if we should be chatting someplace else!)

Probably this information could help others, and this is information I received from the program.

Yes, if you don't already have a Master's, you'll get an M.A. (not research-based) along the way. You can definitely get a biology-based degree, there's no problem there. Your research in the SESAME program (for your PhD) would be related to science/math education, not biology.

So, the top priority is to find a faculty member who is conducting education research that you're interested in. That faculty member should have some knowledge of biology, so that they can give you the qualifying exam, in order for you to actually obtain that M.A. once you're done with coursework). 

Cross-post with HESA 2016 thread:

Hi 2016 applicants! NYU's Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA) Master's program will be holding an informational webinar this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. EST. It will be hosted by two second-year students and a first-year student.

Here's the link: https://plus.google.com/events/c1ohhlltnnvumlcjdva3n9a0678

If you can't make it today, there will be another one tomorrow evening at 8:00 p.m. EST. I'll edit this post to add the YouTube links to both webinars here once they are done.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So It is starting to feel real. I received to emails this morning informing me that my application has been sent to the committee to review. AHHHHH!!! To temper that though I received emails stating that two of the schools have yet to receive my GRE scores (sent over a month ago) I sent then unofficial copies along with the score sent email and will call today to see if I need to do anything else. 

What about everyone else are you done? 

GRE Score: V 160, Q 156, W 5.0

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Community College + Public Univ.

Undergrad GPA: Community College + Public Univ. 3.1 (I know, I know. I addressed the reasons in my essays) 

Research Experience: 3 internships through U.S. DOE (1 CCI, 2 SULI); research volunteer at university, paid research at another university, paid research at a national lab. Also volunteering with education outreach groups, related to career goals.

Work Experience: Work at a national lab education program, for 4 years.

Applying for PhD or Masters: PhD

Programs applied to: UC Berkeley SESAME program; Stanford SHIPS program (In previous posts, I was planning to apply for CTE and SHIPS programs, and finally decided on SHIPS. Some of this based on the fact that CTE wants teaching experience, which I don't have. Part of this was based on faculty research, and direct communication with multiple faculty members via email.) Also applied to Ford Foundation and NSF GRFP.

3 hours ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

So It is starting to feel real. I received to emails this morning informing me that my application has been sent to the committee to review. AHHHHH!!! To temper that though I received emails stating that two of the schools have yet to receive my GRE scores (sent over a month ago) I sent then unofficial copies along with the score sent email and will call today to see if I need to do anything else. 

Yes, I submitted my final application last night! It feels awesome to be done!! 

On 12/2/2015, 10:16:49, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

I've submitted. I'm a nervous wreck. As I'm only applying to one program-- one that is EXTREMELY selective, it's a long shot but I've got my fingers crossed. My stomach is in knots though!

29 minutes ago, phillyhed said:

I've submitted. I'm a nervous wreck. As I'm only applying to one program-- one that is EXTREMELY selective, it's a long shot but I've got my fingers crossed. My stomach is in knots though!

Right I am applying to jobs not because I want to work but because it is expected / it gives me something else to think about. Here is to hoping that we both only have good decisions to make. Ie what shoes match our orientation outfit!! :) 

On 12/8/2015 at 8:24 AM, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

Right I am applying to jobs not because I want to work but because it is expected / it gives me something else to think about. Here is to hoping that we both only have good decisions to make. Ie what shoes match our orientation outfit!! :) 

Good luck to you!

On 11/1/2015 at 11:05 AM, P1906 said:

Hi,

I have just finished my applications. I am international student living in Dubai,UAE but born and brought up in India.

AIM: Educational Technology or related field Fall 2016

GRE: 162/162/4.5    TOEFL: 114 (29/30 in all except Writing 27/30)

Undergrad (Business Administration): 80.79%           Postgrad (English Language): 64.1% (No major research experience anywhere except curriculum development projects here and there)

APPLIED TO: U Conn, U Texas/Austin, Florida State, U Illinois/Chicago, U Oregon, Indiana/Bloomington, U Florida, U Minnesota, U Wisconsin, U California/Irvine, Purdue, U Southern California, U Illinois/Urbana, Michigan State U, Penn State, U Colorado and Texas AnM

I know these are too many. But my partner is also applying for a PhD in another field. And we want to get in the same place. So, I guess we have to apply to so many.

WORK EXPERIENCE: 5+ years as a trainer for standardized practice tests: GMAT, SAT, ACT etc (Have worked with Kaplan and The Princeton Review)

Also, I have my own online learning platform on Youtube and a website since 2012. Here are some stats: 376 free videos and 50,000 free subscribers ...... 950 paid videos and 900 paid subscribers ..... have delivered more than 20 million minutes of online learning..... Also have taken many online classes, seminars and sessions for about 100 students across the world so far.

Would welcome some feedback or suggestions.All the best !

Submitted: U Conn, U Texas/Austin, Florida State, U Illinois/Chicago, U Oregon, Indiana/Bloomington, U Florida, U Minnesota, U Wisconsin, U California/Irvine, Purdue, U Southern California, U Illinois/Urbana, Michigan State U, Penn State, U Colorado and Texas AnM

Interview:  Florida State, U Conn, U Illinois Urbana

Accepted: Florida State

Rejected: 

Edited by P1906

5 minutes ago, EdNeuroGrl said:

Georgetown Psychology department Lifespan Cognitive Neurosciences program

I could have read your signature :P  That's amazing!  When is it?  How long do they give you to prepare?  Are you nervous?
I'm a masters applicant to completely different schools, but my curiosity is piqued!  That and I'm just so amped up about these applications I'm desperate to keep talking about things :D

8 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Congrats!!!! Where from?

BTW thanks! :-D

Just now, Heather1011 said:

I could have read your signature :P  That's amazing!  When is it?  How long do they give you to prepare?  Are you nervous?
I'm a masters applicant to completely different schools, but my curiosity is piqued!  That and I'm just so amped up about these applications I'm desperate to keep talking about things :D

It is actually tomorrow morning. :-) I'm not concerned about preparing as I've already spoken with the PI before I started my applications. We have a LOT in common and we've already been sharing notes on research and each other's writing. So I'm guessing it is a bit more of a formality, clarification, etc than the usual interview is. :-)

13 minutes ago, EdNeuroGrl said:

BTW thanks! :-D

It is actually tomorrow morning. :-) I'm not concerned about preparing as I've already spoken with the PI before I started my applications. We have a LOT in common and we've already been sharing notes on research and each other's writing. So I'm guessing it is a bit more of a formality, clarification, etc than the usual interview is. :-)

Wow!  It sounds like they are very interested in you, then! :) Awesome that you feel so welcomed and confident.

Hi all,

I'm a senior in undergrad at Binghamton University currently looking to apply for MA programs in NYC for TESOL (certification tracks in particular). I tried researching institutions, but found that there isn't much info on which programs are the best. My list is currently: Columbia Teachers College, Hunter, and Queens College. I'm open to places on Long Island as well as NYC (plan to commute from Queens). If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

A little bit about me:

Major: Linguistics

Minors: Japanese, Education

GPA: 3.9

Major GPA: 4.0

GRE: 153/153 (I really didn't study much at all ><... None of the programs I'm applying to so far require it, and I'm not sure if I should even send my scores--especially for Columbia)

Work Experience: I worked at a daycare as an assistant teacher for a summer and have been TAing in ESL classes at my university for 3 semesters; twice for credit, once as a volunteer.

Other: I'm in 2 Honors Societies, Phi Sigma Iota and Phi Beta Kappa. I also studied in Japan for a semester and wrote a bit about it in my SoP.

I'm worried that I don't have enough extracurriculars since I spent most of my time maintaining my GPA, and my GRE scores are pretty bad :(. I feel like GPA is all I've got! 

2 hours ago, Akahana1128 said:

Hi all,

I'm a senior in undergrad at Binghamton University currently looking to apply for MA programs in NYC for TESOL (certification tracks in particular). I tried researching institutions, but found that there isn't much info on which programs are the best. My list is currently: Columbia Teachers College, Hunter, and Queens College. I'm open to places on Long Island as well as NYC (plan to commute from Queens). If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

A little bit about me:

Major: Linguistics

Minors: Japanese, Education

GPA: 3.9

Major GPA: 4.0

GRE: 153/153 (I really didn't study much at all ><... None of the programs I'm applying to so far require it, and I'm not sure if I should even send my scores--especially for Columbia)

Work Experience: I worked at a daycare as an assistant teacher for a summer and have been TAing in ESL classes at my university for 3 semesters; twice for credit, once as a volunteer.

Other: I'm in 2 Honors Societies, Phi Sigma Iota and Phi Beta Kappa. I also studied in Japan for a semester and wrote a bit about it in my SoP.

I'm worried that I don't have enough extracurriculars since I spent most of my time maintaining my GPA, and my GRE scores are pretty bad :(. I feel like GPA is all I've got! 

Of course GPA is not all you've got! How were you supposed to have time for extracurriculars if you were minoring in both Japanese and Education? + you have Honors Societies participation + international experience + and even work experience. I feel your credentials are really strong! :)

43 minutes ago, morifol said:

Of course GPA is not all you've got! How were you supposed to have time for extracurriculars if you were minoring in both Japanese and Education? + you have Honors Societies participation + international experience + and even work experience. I feel your credentials are really strong! :)

Thank you so much for your kind words; you really made my day!

I'm not in a similar boat, but I do think your experience will speak to your strengths, and the GRE scores prove that you can put up good "numbers" that they can't see in your GPA, so I think as long as the schools view your undergrad institution as legitimately accredited, it shouldn't be a problem.  Mind if I ask what school?  I'm curious.

I would suggest submitting your GRE scores to TC and other schools that are "optional" for GRE, because it'll give you some good quantitative data to back up your application.

Edited by Heather1011

13 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I would suggest submitting your GRE scores to TC and other schools that are "optional" for GRE, because it'll give you some good quantitative data to back up your application.

I'm waiting on my essay scores; they'll be coming in soon. But I'll take what you said into consideration. However, I'm just worried because my scores aren't really up there with everyone else's. In fact, they're on the low end...

Thank you for the advice, though. Very helpful to get someone else's opinion.

44 minutes ago, Akahana1128 said:

I'm waiting on my essay scores; they'll be coming in soon. But I'll take what you said into consideration. However, I'm just worried because my scores aren't really up there with everyone else's. In fact, they're on the low end...

Thank you for the advice, though. Very helpful to get someone else's opinion.

I was actually responding to PersonPeople's post regarding GRE, but having attended a TC open house and talked to admissions people, they actually said that the majority of the time, even if people submit their scores (as I did), they actually completely ignore it unless they are totally stuck on the rest of the application.  So in that sense, I don't think it could hurt to submit them or not----for better or worse, they mostly ignore them.

Edited by Heather1011

• 2 weeks later...