Fall 2016 Applicants

pearl31

AlwaysGetsTheShortEnd: That's what I've found as well. Most research in SpEd is left those with PhDs. :( I'm willing to go through the master's process to get there though; especially since to enter in the field of Rehabilitation Counseling you essentially have to have a master's.

How do you like Ed Psych? I actually don't know too much about that field. 

That's kinda funny... I Ed Psy is going through a bit of an identity crisis as far as I can tell.... It is all the stuff that is concerned with how people learn that isn't covered by another area... as far as I can tell... it has a huge scope...

I like it, but I also feel like I need to be in a department that is more supportive of branching into neuroscience... so far it seems like many academics in education feel threatened by people wanting to take a stab at combining the disciplines in some collaborative way... That could also just be my perception as I really didn't expect anything resembling opposition moving from special ed into ed psy... but that could be my department or just my view, not sure yet as there are so few of us that I haven't been able to corroborate or refute my own experiences.

To Overflowing, POI can be program or person or professor otherwise you seem to have it down :-) Welcome!

As for most of the people I talk to your chances are more about fit than they are about anything else. Find someone who is doing what you are or who is interested in similar questions and you could be good to go... 

I like it, but I also feel like I need to be in a department that is more supportive of branching into neuroscience... so far it seems like many academics in education feel threatened by people wanting to take a stab at combining the disciplines in some collaborative way... 

I've taken a few classes that combine just that! One was actually cognitive science applied to education; really interesting stuff! I can imagine it would be difficult to branch into those sorts of studies/programs when one half of the equation isn't willing to collaborate.

I won't be at AERA, but I just took a look at the key addresses and there are some interesting topics. I'd be interested to hear about your experience!

Also, hello Overflowing and welcome!

I am looking into PhD work for Fall 2016, primarily in the area of religious/theological education. I want to look at the way we educate Pastors/Clergy in the professional graduate school (like a seminary or divinity school). I would ideally approach the topic from a historical perspective, so I am looking into History of Education programs. 

One of my biggest concern is my lack of education background.

Boston College has a joint program in Religious Education between the Ministry and Education departments. I don't believe an education degree is necessary for this program, I would check it out although it may deal with catechism-type education more than pastoral formation.

I think it will be difficult to find an education department that wants to read your research about the education of pastors, unless it is a religious school. Teacher's College might be an option, they have had a few Christian people writing on religious topics. Similarly, Claremont Graduate University might be an option, they have a pretty loose interdisciplinary department. Biola University has a phd in Educational Studies which is within their seminary.

Of course the obvious answer is if you can't study that in an education department and you are committed to that research, I would look at a theology department and approach it that way. The other option would be to study history of education, perhaps a subject related to "pastoral formation" but save that research till after you get your phd, if that is what you are looking for. I think in general people who explore this issue are not "educators" but "theologians/ministers". Not sure though.

Current schools on the list: Michigan U, New York University, Stanford, and Harvard.

Like I said above, I am not sure they will be interested in that type of research. You really have to find someone who is interested in that topic.

A couple clarifying newbie questions:

POI = professor of interest

SOP = Statement of purpose

Is that right? 

Yep.

Good luck. I don't mean to be a downer. It just takes time to figure out. (I am in a similar situation given my interests) :D

Edited by FSMITH010

Thanks for the thoughts FSMITH010.

I have looked into Boston College, and it might be a good fit. BC and another Christian school (for a Theology degree) are on my list, but just didn't mention them here. However, I am really interested in doing this kind of research at a non-religious University to gain a broader perspective and feedback.

I have talked with a professor at Michigan who would be interested in this topic, and I have identified a couple people at the other schools that have interests in religion or ethical education. I will be reaching out to a few more POI this summer to see if I can get a better feel for how my interests fit with theirs. Its true that my area of interest is unique and may not fit most schools. I found that i just have to look a little harder to the schools or POI that are interested in this field. 

Not a downer at all. Push back and corrective ideas help us to think better. 

• 1 month later...

Hello people!!

I am one of the geriatric applicants ...38 years old ...no background in education..nada...

I am a partner in a boutique investment firm....planning to leave my current role and venture into setting up affordable schools in India / Middle East. 

Appeared for my GRE recently (man....that was something) V160 Q167 AWA 4.5 ....not super happy with the verbal score ...but hoping that it would suffice ...dread going in again for a retake!!

Looking at two masters programs - POLS at Stanford and Special Studies at Harvard. 

Nice to meet you all. 

Hey! I have two awesome opportunities right now and am surveying everyone I can for recommendations. Right now, I am an associate at an applied education policy research firm (i.e. a consultant). I have the opportunity to help open a new office, but my heart isn't in consulting for the long term. My boss/mentor knows I'm planning on going back to do a PhD and advised he thinks I'm ready to apply this year. Age is a concern, as I would be 30 by the time I start if I delay for another year. There's a lot more to it, but would you take another year with a great company or go back to school a year earlier and progress in your desired career path? My goal is to be a prof or work at a think tank.

Education: R1 public school for undergrad and grad. Undgrad majors: history, German, and political science. Grad program was in public policy and is ranked in the top 3.

GPA: 3.66 (ugrad) 3.8 (grad)

GRE: V166 Q157 AWA 4.5 I'm planning on taking the GRE again due to the low quant score.

Research background: Publications with the federal gov., think tanks, and an education agency. I've been project manager on a few things and am currently the lead analyst on a program evaluation.

LOR: dean of a college, my boss/mentor, and someone else.

Program: PhD in social policy or ed policy

Look forward to hearing from you all! Best of luck!

Hi all I am also planning on applying this fall. I am a current JD/MS (curriculum and Instruction)(3.6/3.9) student looking in to Ed Policy degrees with a focus on educational equality and educator effectiveness. My undergrad is a well-respected education school and my degrees is in ESL/SPED education (3.3).

I am excited to start the next phase in my education. 

I'm applying to four schools. Three are dream schools and one is a safety school:

Johns Hopkins University (Safety School)

M.Sc. in Educational Studies (Guaranteed to get in through TNTP)

Harvard University

Ed.M. Learning & Teaching

Stanford University

M.A. Policy, Organizational, and Leadership Studies (POLS) Program

Columbia University

M.A. Leading to Extension in Gifted Ed

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I will be applying for Secondary Ed Master's + Credential programs to teach social studies. I hope it's okay to post here! I graduated from college with a degree in History + Politics just over two years ago, and work currently as a case manager at a public transfer high school.

It's really cool to see so many people interested in such a wide range of important and fascinating fields within ed. I know I definitely want to teach for awhile, but definitely interested in one day pursuing a Ph.D in education, we'll see how things go. For now, I took the GRE on Friday so I figure it's finally time to get serious about this applying to grad school thing. Good luck to all!

I'm applying in the Fall for EdTech/ID programs. I'm currently in a great MA program in a different (somewhat related) field, and find that my interests cross over between the two. I'm applying to MSU and Stanford at least, and hoping to find other options that fit my needs.

I found an early post that referred to a 157 quant score as low enough to merit retaking the GRE. I have a V166 Q156 W 4.5 and had no intention of paying to retake the test, but now I'm uncertain. Would love feedback from others on how much that will matter. 

My other quals:

MA GPA 4.0, four national/international presentations, one international poster, two regional presentations, one international workshop (running). Conference committee for an international conference. Co-chair for a regional conference. Graduate researcher with a well-known research groups. Two small research/development grants. Three semesters TAing as teacher of record.

I've got a 157 quant and I'm not planning on retaking the GRE's.

My minor is also in statistics and I am getting really good scores in them. I have also maxed out the quantitative paths in both the College of Education and the Psychology program. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to doubt my quantitative ability.

Sooo... as far as I can tell a 157 quant is not so low it will not make it over a cut-off, even in the most competitive schools. For me, since I'm so strong via my coursework and experiencee applying that experience in real research I just can't justify putting myself through the GRE gauntlet again. And everyone I've asked about this particular issue agrees with my particular reasoning...

I have no idea if that helps you in thinking about your concern... as usual the answer really is soft and going to be decided based on your own situation, AND the programs you apply to...

You have a lot of experience and evidence that you can handle the graduate work... from what I've been told, people really look at GRE's if the person doesn't have much experience and particularly if they don't have any graduate classes under their belt...

I'm really interested in e-learning, mobile learning, and gamification. 

GRE Score (old, I might retake): V 640 (90th percentile), Q 790 (88th percentile) AWA:5.0 

Work Experience: 1 year as an instructional designer at a leading EdTech company
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): B.S. Cognitive Psych from a Public Ivy

Undergrad GPA: 3.3

Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): M.A. in Instructional Technology from an Ivy

Grad GPA: 4.0
Research Experience: 3 years in undergrad doing language, memory, perception, and learning research, 2 years between undergrad and masters working at Stanford doing language, computer cognition, and developmental psych research 
Applying for PhD or Masters: PhD
Program: Oxford(Learning and Technology)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: MIT Media Lab, HGSE/Stanford/TC if I retake the GRE

Edited by Edugy

I'm really interested in e-learning, mobile learning, and gamification. 

GRE Score (old, I might retake): V 640 (90th percentile), Q 790 (88th percentile) AWA:5.0 

Work Experience: 1 year as an instructional designer at a leading EdTech company

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): B.S. Cognitive Psych from a Public Ivy

Undergrad GPA: 3.3

Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): M.A. in Instructional Technology from an Ivy

Grad GPA: 4.0

Research Experience: 3 years in undergrad doing language, memory, perception, and learning research, 2 years between undergrad and masters working at Stanford doing language, computer cognition, and developmental psych research 

Applying for PhD or Masters: PhD

Program: Oxford(Learning and Technology)

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: MIT Media Lab, HGSE/Stanford/TC if I retake the GRE

Couple comments... 

Are you sure your GRE's are within 5 years? I know that I took the new version when it rolled out and if I have to apply next year again I'll likely have to retake the GRE... just something you may want to look into.

What program in Stanford are you thinking about applying to? I will be applying to the GSE DAPS program.

Edited by EdNeuroGrl

Couple comments... 

Are you sure your GRE's are within 5 years? I know that I took the new version when it rolled out and if I have to apply next year again I'll likely have to retake the GRE... just something you may want to look into.

What program in Stanford are you thinking about applying to? I will be applying to the GSE DAPS program.

If I end up applying to HGSE/Stanford/TC, I'll definitely have to retake the GRE. MIT Media Lab and Oxford don't require the GRE. I'm interested in the LTSD program at Stanford.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, checking in with you all.

Anyone got more firm plans for applications?

I just started the pre-writing for my essays, anyone else? I am using Graduate Admissions Essays 4th Ed to help me with writing and the like. It was a pretty good read and offers some advice for getting letters of rec and all the extras to have a good application. 

Also, is anyone else here NOT on their first round of applications? I'm having to battle a lot of anxiety because I've been through this a couple times before and would love to hear from people who have gone through the same thing. 

I know my chances are MUCH better this time around, but I'm still really banking on success in the face of previous failure and that's no small hurdle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to start my applications for Fall 2016. Hoping to get my Masters in International Education. I have no experience in the field other than two study abroad trips as an undergrad (BA English, BA International Studies; GPA 3.7) and a love of travel, so I'm a little worried about my chances. I'm banking on my SOP, high GPA and contact with the admissions office to show my interest in the programs to help me.

I'm looking at 6 programs right now:

UNC MA International Education and NCSU MA International Studies (I live in NC, so I can't beat that in-state tuition!)

NYU MA International Education

Lesley University MA International Higher Education and Intercultural Relations

MIIS MA International Education Management and SIT MA International Education (both smaller, international studies-focused institutions, so those will probably be my reach schools)

Good luck to all you guys as we get closer! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally September so that means it must be application season again, right? No? Still too early? ;)

I'm going for my master's in Counselor Education/Student Affairs and this is also not my first rodeo. I'm a seasoned veteran at this point, but not for any lack of trying on my own part. I got my MFA in Communication Arts in 2013, but have applied for a variety of CED/HE/SA programs since then. I've been accepted to (but ultimately did not attend) Indiana, Syracuse, UNCG, and UPenn. The funding never came through, so this time around I'm casting a wider (and slightly less competitive) net in hopes someone will toss some funds my way, or I can pay in-state tuition rates.

Good luck to all! Let the obsessing begin!

J

Hello all,

Planning to apply for a PhD in Education. I'm looking at Comparative education and education policy programs. Please share your suggestions, if any.

Any idea how is USC Ed Policy program?

I work with an education research organization in India. No background in education otherwise.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just finished my applications. I am international student living in Dubai,UAE but born and brought up in India.

AIM: Educational Technology or related field Fall 2016

GRE: 162/162/4.5    TOEFL: 114 (29/30 in all except Writing 27/30)

Undergrad (Business Administration): 80.79%           Postgrad (English Language): 64.1% (No major research experience anywhere except curriculum development projects here and there)

APPLIED TO: U Conn, U Texas/Austin, Florida State, U Illinois/Chicago, U Oregon, Indiana/Bloomington, U Florida, U Minnesota, U Wisconsin, U California/Irvine, Purdue, U Southern California, U Illinois/Urbana, Michigan State U, Penn State, U Colorado and Texas AnM

I know these are too many. But my partner is also applying for a PhD in another field. And we want to get in the same place. So, I guess we have to apply to so many.

WORK EXPERIENCE: 5+ years as a trainer for standardized practice tests: GMAT, SAT, ACT etc (Have worked with Kaplan and The Princeton Review)

Also, I have my own online learning platform on Youtube and a website since 2012. Here are some stats: 376 free videos and 50,000 free subscribers ...... 950 paid videos and 900 paid subscribers ..... have delivered more than 20 million minutes of online learning..... Also have taken many online classes, seminars and sessions for about 100 students across the world so far.

Would welcome some feedback or suggestions.All the best !

Hello! I can't move my family right now (kids, spouse's career), so I'm only applying to programs in the Bay Area. I'm applying to the SESAME program at UC Berkeley, and the Curriculum Studies and Teacher Education (CTE) program at Stanford. Yes, two super competitive schools, but I figure I'll throw my name in there, and see what happens! =)

On 11/3/2015, 7:16:46, Songbird222 said:

Hello! I can't move my family right now (kids, spouse's career), so I'm only applying to programs in the Bay Area. I'm applying to the SESAME program at UC Berkeley, and the Curriculum Studies and Teacher Education (CTE) program at Stanford. Yes, two super competitive schools, but I figure I'll throw my name in there, and see what happens! =)

Hi! I am very interested in the SESAME program as well! Unfortunately there don't seem to be any other programs of that nature (that are not teacher training oriented). In any case, are you clear about the funding for SESAME? I was a bit confused as they don't really go into detail about it on their website. I would appreciate any information about it!

On 11/6/2015, 10:53:43, JD2015 said:

Hi! I am very interested in the SESAME program as well! Unfortunately there don't seem to be any other programs of that nature (that are not teacher training oriented). In any case, are you clear about the funding for SESAME? I was a bit confused as they don't really go into detail about it on their website. I would appreciate any information about it!

Basically, the majority of SESAME grad students (who do not secure outside funding) TA or teach coursework in order to pay their way through school. The fellowships promoted for this program are for grad students who are conducting research in mathematics, computer science, or technology-related topics. There does not seem to be guaranteed funding for grad students, but certainly the faculty advisers will try to help you find funding whenever possible. I am applying for external fellowships (NSF and Ford Foundation), and will look at fellowships/grants offered by UC Berkeley for its grad students (if admitted into the program). 

Exactly -- this is one of the few Science Education programs that is not for training teachers, which is what drew me to it as well! Can I ask what your STEM background is? Are you applying with a B.A./B.S. or M.A./M.S.? I am applying to this program with a B.A. in Biology.

On 11/6/2015, 1:53:43, JD2015 said:

What do you mean by "programs of that nature"? There are lots of programs with a similar research focus (and not teacher training)...

On 11/8/2015, 6:33:41, Songbird222 said:

Basically, the majority of SESAME grad students (who do not secure outside funding) TA or teach coursework in order to pay their way through school. The fellowships promoted for this program are for grad students who are conducting research in mathematics, computer science, or technology-related topics. There does not seem to be guaranteed funding for grad students, but certainly the faculty advisers will try to help you find funding whenever possible. I am applying for external fellowships (NSF and Ford Foundation), and will look at fellowships/grants offered by UC Berkeley for its grad students (if admitted into the program). 

Exactly -- this is one of the few Science Education programs that is not for training teachers, which is what drew me to it as well! Can I ask what your STEM background is? Are you applying with a B.A./B.S. or M.A./M.S.? I am applying to this program with a B.A. in Biology.

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

I am currently doing bench research in molecular genetics in Boston. I have a BA in Biology as well! I am an international student, so unfortunately there aren't very many outside funding opportunities for me. 

I was wondering, when they say "students are expected to obtain at least master's-level competency in their mathematical or scientific discipline," do you know how specific the scientific discipline can get? For instance, can I get a masters in molecular biology? I ask because I didn't come across any faculty member whose research was Biology-related. 

(I don't know if we should be chatting someplace else!)

Edited by JD2015