What shifts do most Speech Pathologists/Therapists work?

Thinking about going back to college to get Speech Pathology/Therapy degree.  I'm a night person and would hate a day shift.  Do they have 2nd shift Speech Pathologists/Therapists in a hospital setting? I've searched online but the job positions don't give a shift most of the time.  I know I've seen self-employed workers but I doubt I'll be doing that.  

Also on a side note, I have a Bachelor's degree in sociology/human services.  Unfortunately I'm done with that field/career for many reasons.  I won't be accepted to get another loan.  Do you know of any federal grants for speech pathologists/therapists?

Thank you! 

Thinking about going back to college to get Speech Pathology/Therapy degree.  I'm a night person and would hate a day shift.  Do they have 2nd shift Speech Pathologists/Therapists in a hospital setting? I've searched online but the job positions don't give a shift most of the time.  I know I've seen self-employed workers but I doubt I'll be doing that.  

Also on a side note, I have a Bachelor's degree in sociology/human services.  Unfortunately I'm done with that field/career for many reasons.  I won't be accepted to get another loan.  Do you know of any federal grants for speech pathologists/therapists?

Thank you! 

Great question! I work nights and would rather continue. I would imagine hospital SLP work the night shift.  I am also maxed out so I am looking for financial help also. Definitely look at instate public colleges and universities.Many schools offer students graduate teacher assistantships. Also check out scholarships (FastWeb.com and Scholarships.com)

I agree w/ Twinguy - I'm a Respiratory Therapist and all of our SLPs are days, with a handful of PT weekend SLPs. SLPs don't really provide "critical care" as RTs, RNs, and MDs do (among others). And by that, I don't mean SLPs are not critical members of the team.

I haven't heard of night shift PT or OT either.

Great question! I work nights and would rather continue. I would imagine hospital SLP work the night shift.  I am also maxed out so I am looking for financial help also. Definitely look at instate public colleges and universities.Many schools offer students graduate teacher assistantships. Also check out scholarships (FastWeb.com and Scholarships.com)

Are you looking to become a SLP also? Even if it was 12-8p I'd take that over 8a-5p. 

Are you looking to become a SLP also? Even if it was 12-8p I'd take that over 8a-5p. 

Yes, I am currently trying to get into grad school for SLP.  I too would rather work 12-8p. I am thinking hospitals would have this shift. 

I also don't believe SLPs work night shifts. I'm doing a placement right now in dysphagia/swallowing at a hospital, which is the only area I might assume an SLP would work nights, and she works Monday to Friday 7:30-3:30. There might be some select hospitals that do but I think that would be few and far between.

Edited by Slp1989

• 1 month later...

Yes, I am currently trying to get into grad school for SLP.  I too would rather work 12-8p. I am thinking hospitals would have this shift. 

Actually, I did find a job that was in AZ where SLPA worked evenings, afternoons and weekends.  That would be me.  It looks like nursing home might be an option for me too which might include some afternoons and evenings.  I got accepted into the SLPA online program, but now I saw on their website that IL (where I live) hasn't responded to an authorization on if IL students can do the online program.  Not sure if there's a way to get around this or not.  

I've been researching SLP programs online of course, I found one in WI but am a little worried about working 20 hours a week as a SLPA and doing 40 hours a week in addition for the practicum, plus I have to do 1 one week a year for 3 years residency on site which is 4 hrs from me, which I could just use a week of vacation from my SLPA job.  Otherwise, there's an online program Tseng College where I could do online masters SLP program and I don't have to do this residency, only 400 hours in my community of practicum.  

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Not sure about the school option, except for during my practicum.  I would need to work all year round,  I love nights, but I would settle for afternoon and evenings.  11-7, 10-6, 12-8.  However, I would be willing to work school if it was all year round and I couldn't find anything else.  Are you going to the SLPA program part time or full time? Is it online or on campus? I'm going to do part time online program.  I'm a little nervous though because it says they are waiting for IL to authorize online program, but yet I just got my acceptance letter.

Good luck to you.