Turned Down Offers Thread

I just turned down offers from Harvard and Yale this afternoon - I was the only medievalist in Harvard's admitted cohort of 12, so I hope that means they'll be drawing someone off the waitlist!!

Edited by hreaðemus

I just turned down offers from Harvard and Yale this afternoon - I was the only medievalist in Harvard's admitted cohort of 12, so I hope that means they'll be drawing someone off the waitlist!!

Congratulations on Berkeley!

I assume you've turned down your spot in the English program, not Comp Lit correct?

I'm on the Comp Lit waitlist and I'm dying to hear back soon :)

Congratulations on Berkeley!

I assume you've turned down your spot in the English program, not Comp Lit correct?

I'm on the Comp Lit waitlist and I'm dying to hear back soon :)

Aw, thank you! I'm afraid it was a spot in the English department that I declined, though - sorry! I hope you get good news soon! 

I haven't turned down an offer yet, but I'm hoping to soon. If anyone is familiar with the programs, could you provide insight into Georgia State or UNC Greensboro? The funding is roughly similar.

My area is American in general. I don't know if UK does their waitlist by literary periods or not, but if they do I was probably under modern and contemporary. I'm accepting an offer from Purdue, but the people at Kentucky are pretty great. I hope you get it!

Edited by ToldAgain

echo449, thanks for posting! If I may ask, was the Penn State space for the MA or the PhD? Had you applied for a specific subfield? I'm currently a waitlisted MA applicant.

And, of course, congrats if this means you are closer to committing to your ideal program!

I just declined an offer from Miami. I'm declining a few others in the next few days as well. Good luck WCers!

Anyone still considering turning down UCLA? Sorry to badger, just going crazy over here. I'm happy with my other school, but knowledge is power and I want to know all my options :)

Broadly, 20th-century literature (mostly British, some American, and tending toward world) and theory.

I was lucky enough to end up with some really great options.  I remember how excited I was after the first acceptance and then each subsequent one (and of course there were also rejections) just produced anxiety.  Obviously a good problem to have, and one it feels terrible to complain about, but it has certainly introduced the possibility of regret into the entire process.  From now on, in the darkest days at wherever I end up, I know I'll be thinking "I could be at school X right now."  Anyway, it's just good to be somewhere, I suppose. 

Broadly, 20th-century literature (mostly British, some American, and tending toward world) and theory.

I was lucky enough to end up with some really great options.  I remember how excited I was after the first acceptance and then each subsequent one (and of course there were also rejections) just produced anxiety.  Obviously a good problem to have, and one it feels terrible to complain about, but it has certainly introduced the possibility of regret into the entire process.  From now on, in the darkest days at wherever I end up, I know I'll be thinking "I could be at school X right now."  Anyway, it's just good to be somewhere, I suppose. 

I think regret is a possibility whatever decision one has had to make, it's the risk we take whenever we make a choice, so if/when those silly thoughts start messing with your head, don't pay any heed to them, they hardly ever lead to anything good...

But that is an impressive collection of acceptances :)

Have you decided where you'll be going?

Edited by Katla

I think regret is a possibility whatever decision one has had to make, it's the risk we take whenever we make a choice, so if/when those silly thoughts start messing with your head, don't pay any heed to them, they hardly ever lead to anything good...

But that is an impressive collection of acceptances :)

Have you decided where you'll be going?

Oh, absolutely... Also, I find that I live the same life wherever I happen to live, so it probably makes little difference where I am as long as I'm somewhere.  It seems there are good people everywhere.  Literary study is probably a good place to find good people in general. 

I've whittled things down to 2.5 options (2 acceptances and a wait-list), although I probably wouldn't take the wait-list at this point anyway, so will likely ask to be removed.  My decision will then be down to UChicago and Stanford.  And I can't for the life of me seem to decide between them.  Any opinions would of course be appreciated. 

zeno: Those are awesome options to be sure!

I would suggest geography as the deciding factor all things being equal, but it seems like that isn't really a concern in your case.

Is one program offering more money? A competitive fellowship? Better benefits?

Does one have a POI who is of particular interest to you? Are there course offerings more in line with your areas of interest? More professors doing work in your area at one school? A great journal or track of study?

If all these things are equal, my vote would be Stanford.