Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

6 hours ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Yes, that notification email really slaps you in the face.  But at least it's like ripping off a band-aid...?

I think I'd rather breathe heavily through it like I was giving birth to a child as I read each word intently in a long drawn-out email :lol:

It's sort of nice to be able to emotionally prepare for what you're about to read. Now even checking my email is a nerve-wracking process! If I'm being honest though, I actually think the band-aid approach is probably best.

2 hours ago, sairam94 said:

Fingers crossed!! I will not be trying again. I have a seat in medical school already so if this doesn't work out its off to med school for me!! Have you guys ever been to Spain? I'm nervous that they could reject me based on that alone, but I have had a lot of experience with Spanish in the states so hopefully they look at that. 

Awesome, great job on medical school. I'm pre-med myself (my true haunt is SDN), and I'm curious, have you talked to your school about deferrals? I'm not sure I even have to worry about it because I don't if I'll get Fulbright but I thought I'd ask.

I have a few good friends who applied MD-PhD and they had trouble getting deferrals at certain school. For instance, one of my friends who is currently a Gates-Cambridge fellow had trouble getting a deferral. He interviewed at Harvard, UPenn, etc etc and I think UPenn was one of the only ones that accepted the deferral for even a prestigious scholarship. He had a similar timeline as you, he was accepted to med schools and found out about Gates-Cambridge in Febraury-March.

1 hour ago, LifeLearner said:

@sairam94 @rsolo Yeah congrats on med school, that's huge!! :) It's good to know there are other Spain semi-finalists anxiously waiting haha. I studied abroad in Granada last year and volunteered while I was there (in between the tapas lol). But I don't think you need experience in a country because a girl from my university became a Spain ETA and hadn't been to Spain. I also applied for the auxiliaries program, City Year (for a west coast position) and a mission trip through my church where I can be in Latin America so I will be doing something to maybe beef up my application for next year if I don't get it and reapply. But let's hope we all get it next week!!

That's awesome. I wish I had the chance to study abroad in college. Are you studying Spanish as well in school or using it back in the States? I hope we all get it as well!!!

13 minutes ago, sat0ri said:

Awesome, great job on medical school. I'm pre-med myself (my true haunt is SDN), and I'm curious, have you talked to your school about deferrals? I'm not sure I even have to worry about it because I don't if I'll get Fulbright but I thought I'd ask.

I have a few good friends who applied MD-PhD and they had trouble getting deferrals at certain school. For instance, one of my friends who is currently a Gates-Cambridge fellow had trouble getting a deferral. He interviewed at Harvard, UPenn, etc etc and I think UPenn was one of the only ones that accepted the deferral for even a prestigious scholarship. He had a similar timeline as you, he was accepted to med schools and found out about Gates-Cambridge in Febraury-March.

Thankfully my school is very accommodating to let us defer for reasonable situations! Fortunately Fulbright is one of them!! 

1 hour ago, sairam94 said:

That's awesome. I wish I had the chance to study abroad in college. Are you studying Spanish as well in school or using it back in the States? I hope we all get it as well!!!

Yes! I'm a Spanish major. I volunteer at a school's ESL program where I use it sometimes. What about you?

57 minutes ago, LifeLearner said:

Yes! I'm a Spanish major. I volunteer at a school's ESL program where I use it sometimes. What about you?

ESL programs must be a great learning experience for you. I'm actually a Spanish minor, my major is in Biology. Fortunately I live in Southern California, where opportunities to use Spanish are plentiful haha, I actually work as a Spanish translator/assistant at a clinic in Los Angeles once or twice a week, and I'm a Spanish tutor as well! 

7 hours ago, sairam94 said:

ESL programs must be a great learning experience for you. I'm actually a Spanish minor, my major is in Biology. Fortunately I live in Southern California, where opportunities to use Spanish are plentiful haha, I actually work as a Spanish translator/assistant at a clinic in Los Angeles once or twice a week, and I'm a Spanish tutor as well! 

Lucky!! That's so cool you're a translator, do you interpret as well? I wish there were more opportunities to speak Spanish where I'm from, but the midwest isn't really known for that haha. And I became an ESL tutor after I submitted my application (which was kind of a bummer because I'm learning a lot) so I couldn't even talk about it lol. 

Do we know if Fulbright Scholar decisions are released on the same day as Student ones (by country)? If so, Sweden finds/found out today!

3 hours ago, LifeLearner said:

Lucky!! That's so cool you're a translator, do you interpret as well? I wish there were more opportunities to speak Spanish where I'm from, but the midwest isn't really known for that haha. And I became an ESL tutor after I submitted my application (which was kind of a bummer because I'm learning a lot) so I couldn't even talk about it lol. 

Yea I occasionally work as an interpreter for some nurses who aren't fluent in Spanish!! Are you planning on reapplying if you don't get it? If so I'm sure you could include ESL on the application!! 

Again with the Fulbright Scholar thing -- Mexico is out for them, so maybe student is too! Anyone apply there (or to Sweden) who can confirm?

On 3/8/2016 at 11:24 AM, hojoojoh said:

Thank you for your reply.

I will be working under supervision of an historian at Kobe University and my research will bring me to Kobe more than a few times.  I am looking to avoid university housing at all costs - I have lived in Japan and attending university there before.  Dorms and such are not for me anymore.

Might I ask what you and @matsukoDELUXE are researching?  I am in the field of Canadian diplomatic history.  Presently writing my MA thesis to be completed and defended before my departure for Japan in October.

Congrats again to the both of you.  Should there be some overlap in our fields (or continued communication between us), we could meet up somewhere for a drink in Tokyo, Osaka, etc.

Have either of you lived in Japan before?  Taken the JLPT?  This forum has so few discussions of living, studying, applying for Japanese programmes, etc that I am resisting asking a million questions for the risk of totally derailing this thread.  Sorry about that.

Edit: @kyjin, I've actually read more than a few posts on that blog before! It's a good one. Cheers

Dear hojoojoh,

You'll be in Kobe?  Awesome!  I noticed that you are coming from Montreal.  Do you attend McGill?

I research Edo period visual culture.  The last chapter of my dissertation is looking at woodblock printed books and the construction of race in the late Edo, early Meiji years, so there might be some overlap with our research there.  There are lots of interesting books about the treaty port states that few people have touched in the secondary literature.  I am slightly obsessed with one book that narrates Napoleon's upbringing, which includes him slaying a giant whale/alligator? thing (鰐鮫)hahaa.   

I lived in Kyoto as an undergraduate for a semester, and then did research at Tsukuba University in Ibaraki between my MA and PhD.  The dorms at Tsukuba were horrendous.  I had a sink in my room, had to pay 100 yen everyday for the student bathhouse - it was not good.  BUT it was sooooo cheap.  I think the rent was about $300?  With regards to the JLPT, I passed N1 in 2013.  

I am planning on going to a conference in Kobe, which I think might be in October or November, so we should keep in touch.  I said I would leave in mid-August, so I will be there a little ahead of you.  Best of luck finishing your thesis and defending!  I'm trying to finish my proposal and get a draft of one of my chapters before I go.  Having gotten the Fulbright really puts some more gas in the engine.  Must. Not.  Disappoint!      

On 3/9/2016 at 3:43 PM, Dilemma1 said:

What does "recommended" versus "submitted" mean??? 

On 3/9/2016 at 3:43 PM, Dilemma1 said:

Don't forget to fill out the spreadsheet! You don't have to fill out any personal information just the details about country and time you heard back.  Present and future applicants will be grateful :) 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=1893879233

1 minute ago, Sen Ver said:

I think that is just someone who didn't update after Jan15 -- the whole spreadsheet said submitted between October and January!

10 hours ago, NikkiC said:

@Jeden I'm also a semi-finalist to Germany to conduct dissertation research. Just curious, what's the CLS?

I'm also a semi-finalist to Germany for research. Nice to meet both of you! What are your projects?

So I got an email this afternoon from the Fulbright office telling me that they didn't get my transcript from my undergraduate university and need it ASAP or it could "delay the notification of the next stage of your application in the Fulbright U.S. Student award process." I don't know that my mind can handle a delay. I was really hoping to get news next week. Here's to hoping that they get my transcripts soon!

1 minute ago, SoundandVision said:

So I got an email this afternoon from the Fulbright office telling me that they didn't get my transcript from my undergraduate university and need it ASAP or it could "delay the notification of the next stage of your application in the Fulbright U.S. Student award process." I don't know that my mind can handle a delay. I was really hoping to get news next week. Here's to hoping that they get my transcripts soon!

At least they told you and are letting you submit still! Which program are you applying for? 

12 minutes ago, SoundandVision said:

I got the same thing, even though I sent my transcripts right after I was recommended, and they had said they would email us Feb. 19 if transcripts weren't received. I was first notified that they weren't received a few days ago, so this time i sent an electronic copy and got confirmation that they opened and processed it. 

I wonder though, would they bother making you send in another transcript just to withhold a "not selected" email? That seems cruel...

Hi fellow Germany hopefuls!

Nikki- the CLS is the Critical Language Scholarship through the State Department. I typically go abroad for the summer for cultural and linguistical immersion, most often to Russia.

rar8- I am a comparatist, so I work in German, Russian and philosophy. I do historical epistemology (in the German tradition), so history of intellectual ideas here in the US. At this point, I am working on the reception of German Idealism and Romanticism in 19th-century Russia.  More specifically, for Germans the strain of "distinctiveness" thinking that is the nascent nationalism of these two movements is traced to Herder.  Like Germany, the Russian Imperial Academy of Sciences (hence, the natural sciences) was founded with Herder's cultural, anthro-philosophical concepts, in this case it defines Russian ethnology.

My research would be tied to Humboldt specifically (proff's in ethnology, literature, philosophy), as they are trained in historical epistemology as it pertains to the German social-natural sciences. This method is not done in the US universities.

That perhaps is quite possibly the shoddiest explanation of my work yet, but you get the idea :)

1 hour ago, sbees said:

I got the same thing, even though I sent my transcripts right after I was recommended, and they had said they would email us Feb. 19 if transcripts weren't received. I was first notified that they weren't received a few days ago, so this time i sent an electronic copy and got confirmation that they opened and processed it. 

I wonder though, would they bother making you send in another transcript just to withhold a "not selected" email? That seems cruel...

I hope they wouldn't bother if it was a "NS"! Going to call my old alma mater tomorrow to confirm everything got sent off ok. I ordered mail and email transcripts just to be safe!

Hello everyone!

It took me a while to lurk through all the past comments, but i wanted to introduce myself as a semifinalist for a UK partnership award (Kings college London); Im so excited to be hearing back soon! congrats to all of the finalists for the upcoming year, and much luck to all of you who are awaiting news! wish you all the best =}

When I did ETA in Turkey (2011-2012 AY), it was the LAST country to announce, and now they've already informed their recipients!

Get it together, Deutschland :wacko: