Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

On March 10, 2016 at 10:02 PM, LifeLearner said:

@sairam94 @rsolo Yeah congrats on med school, that's huge!! :) It's good to know there are other Spain semi-finalists anxiously waiting haha. I studied abroad in Granada last year and volunteered while I was there (in between the tapas lol). But I don't think you need experience in a country because a girl from my university became a Spain ETA and hadn't been to Spain. I also applied for the auxiliaries program, City Year (for a west coast position) and a mission trip through my church where I can be in Latin America so I will be doing something to maybe beef up my application for next year if I don't get it and reapply. But let's hope we all get it next week!!

I also applied to City Year (in NY) as a back-up! I'm glad to know someone else is considering both Fulbright ETA and City Year. 

8 hours ago, NeneGalle_ said:

Hello everyone!

It took me a while to lurk through all the past comments, but i wanted to introduce myself as a semifinalist for a UK partnership award (Kings college London); Im so excited to be hearing back soon! congrats to all of the finalists for the upcoming year, and much luck to all of you who are awaiting news! wish you all the best =}

Congrats!  I'm always excited to hear from fellow UK applicants :)  what will be the focus of your research/study?  Waiting is the hardest part right now! During the phone interview the woman said late March but I'm really hoping it's earlier....  Best of luck to you!

8 hours ago, AKB_gotigers said:

I also applied to City Year (in NY) as a back-up! I'm glad to know someone else is considering both Fulbright ETA and City Year. 

Yay, me too! It seems like a great program with solid benefits if Fulbright doesn't pan out.

So, just notified for Italy.  I'm an alternate.  I guess I should be kind of happy, but I'm more fucking stressed now.  The email says that the alternates aren't ranked and doesn't provide info on how alternates might move to principals.  Does anyone know anything about this?

32 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

Congrats!  I'm always excited to hear from fellow UK applicants :)  what will be the focus of your research/study?  Waiting is the hardest part right now! During the phone interview the woman said late March but I'm really hoping it's earlier....  Best of luck to you!

So from from 2010 to 2014, notifications were sent out on the 3rd Tuesday of the March pretty consistently (1 year it was the 3rd Monday, close enough). I think there might be a good chance decisions for UK semi-finalist will come then. Of course, the wrench in the gears is that last year it came on the 30th, even though other Fulbright award notifications didn't seem to be late. I think Monday-Tuesday is the day to anticipate; if it doesn't come then, then it's anyone's guess and we're back to anxious ignorance.

I see OxBridge was informed two weeks later. Also, there is only Oxbridge data for 2015. Any idea what's going on with this???

15 minutes ago, lyonessrampant said:

So, just notified for Italy.  I'm an alternate.  I guess I should be kind of happy, but I'm more fucking stressed now.  The email says that the alternates aren't ranked and doesn't provide info on how alternates might move to principals.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Same here :/ super bummed about it, but I guess there really isn't much that anyone can do. Which fellowship did you apply for? I was notified that I am an alternate for the MPA at SDA Bocconi. An alternate status feels almost worse than NS, because now I feel like there still might be some hope rather than accepting that I haven't won. But it's okay, the world still turns and I'm still breathing, my heart just hurts a little :(

16 minutes ago, lyonessrampant said:

Damn that's rough. At least you have other good things awaiting you.

The only official information that I'm aware of is from the Information for Sem-finalist site:

An alternate candidate can be promoted and offered an award if additional funding becomes available. Unfortunately, candidates who have been named as alternates may not hear of a promotion to principal status until much later.

IIE cannot predict the probability of whether or not an individual candidate will eventually be promoted and offered an award. IIE will keep Alternate candidates open for consideration unless an application is formally withdrawn.

Just now, Italylove said:

Same here :/ super bummed about it, but I guess there really isn't much that anyone can do. Which fellowship did you apply for? I was notified that I am an alternate for the MPA at SDA Bocconi. An alternate status feels almost worse than NS, because now I feel like there still might be some hope rather than accepting that I haven't won. But it's okay, the world still turns and I'm still breathing, my heart just hurts a little :(

Definitely feeling you with the heart hurting part.  This is such a long application process that you can't help but start to imagine yourself living there, and then there's still hope but it almost seems more cruel.  Sigh.  I applied for a research grant to work with a Medical Humanities group at the University of Bologna.  Best of luck for both of us (and all Alternates!) hoping for good news.  I'm sort of hoping that the Italy Principals get job offers or better fellowships or develop a gluten allergy :P  Seriously, though, congrats to all who've received awards.

3 minutes ago, cc2016sr2017 said:

Congratulations to everyone finding out about grants! (And even if you weren't awarded one, congratulations on making it this far -- seriously, that in itself is a huge accomplishment).

I'm still waiting for Slovakia, and it's seriously killing me. 

I feel your pain! (As I'm sure everyone still waiting does haha). I'm crossing my fingers (and toes) that a lot of people hear today. Clearly we can't expect things to follow last year given countries that have already broken the pattern, but I'm still irrationally hoping Ireland follows it because then the results should come out today! Gahh

Hi all! Lurking here for a while - I'm waiting on the Fulbright for India. And waiting and waiting.

Just curious if anyone else also applied for the CLS scholarship separate from the Fulbright program and is seeing a conflict in orientation dates? @Jeden I saw you applied for both - do you know of any conflicts between the summer CLS program and the summer orientations for Fulbright programs?

Good luck to all!

1 hour ago, lyonessrampant said:

56 minutes ago, Italylove said:

I am so sorry that the two of you were chosen as alternates! I understand your range of emotions, as I was selected as an alternate last year.  

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to get additional information about my status after notification.  There were two of us alternates last year for Moldova and the other alternate was bumped up, but not until the middle of June.  In some ways, being an alternate really is worse than being a NS because the waiting doesn't end - I spent the entire summer on pins and needles hoping that I would be promoted also.  But now, looking back, I am very happy that I was chosen as an alternate instead of NS and being chosen as an alternate informed my decision to apply again.  Even though the 2015-2016 grant year would have been the PERFECT time for me to live abroad for a year, I am hoping that I am selected this year and I will have to make things work.  

Best of luck to both of you! And remember that being chosen as an alternate is still an achievement and future employers, professors, etc. will be impressed to see that you were an alternate on your resume or cv.  

1 hour ago, wildchartermage said:

I just got the email! I won the full Fulbright Study/Research grant for Italy! I am so stoked!

But on the other hand, my condolences for lyonessrampant and Italylove. I would have loved to meet fellow gradcafers. 

Congratulations!! Did you end up receiving the deaf studies grant or did you stick with the traditional study/research grant?

5 minutes ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

I am so sorry that the two of you were chosen as alternates! I understand your range of emotions, as I was selected as an alternate last year.  

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to get additional information about my status after notification.  There were two of us alternates last year for Moldova and the other alternate was bumped up, but not until the middle of June.  In some ways, being an alternate really is worse than being a NS because the waiting doesn't end - I spent the entire summer on pins and needles hoping that I would be promoted also.  But now, looking back, I am very happy that I was chosen as an alternate instead of NS and being chosen as an alternate informed my decision to apply again.  Even though the 2015-2016 grant year would have been the PERFECT time for me to live abroad for a year, I am hoping that I am selected this year and I will have to make things work.  

Best of luck to both of you! And remember that being chosen as an alternate is still an achievement and future employers, professors, etc. will be impressed to see that you were an alternate on your resume or cv.  

Thanks for the kind words!  I also appreciate your perspective.  I'm not sure I can reapply (I'll have my Ph.D in hand by next summer), but I'm going to check and will probably do that if I can and my status doesn't convert.  Do you mind me asking how you knew how many alternates there were?  I emailed our university coordinator and she had no info for me.  Best of luck to you!

29 minutes ago, kfm said:

I feel your pain! (As I'm sure everyone still waiting does haha). I'm crossing my fingers (and toes) that a lot of people hear today. Clearly we can't expect things to follow last year given countries that have already broken the pattern, but I'm still irrationally hoping Ireland follows it because then the results should come out today! Gahh

Yes! I would feel much more calm if notifications were happening in the same time-frame as last year, but now I am having so much anxiety because the notifications could really happen at any time! I am sure it is more difficult for you because Ireland was notified this time last year.  I hope you hear back today!!

1 minute ago, lyonessrampant said:

Thanks for the kind words!  I also appreciate your perspective.  I'm not sure I can reapply (I'll have my Ph.D in hand by next summer), but I'm going to check and will probably do that if I can and my status doesn't convert.  Do you mind me asking how you knew how many alternates there were?  I emailed our university coordinator and she had no info for me.  Best of luck to you!

We only knew about each other because of this forum.  Magically, all of the semi-finalists for Moldova were on this forum last year.  Otherwise, I don't believe there is any way to figure out the number of alternates selected.  We were surprised that there were 2 of us as alternates, because, initially, there was only 1 research grant recipient.  So I am not even sure what the formula is for deciding on the number of alternates.  I'm sorry that I can't be of more help, I really wish this process was more transparent.  

10 minutes ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Yes! I would feel much more calm if notifications were happening in the same time-frame as last year, but now I am having so much anxiety because the notifications could really happen at any time! I am sure it is more difficult for you because Ireland was notified this time last year.  I hope you hear back today!!

Thanks for your well-wishes! Sending the same positive vibes back your way and to everyone still waiting to hear!!

41 minutes ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Congratulations!! Did you end up receiving the deaf studies grant or did you stick with the traditional study/research grant?

From the email, it looks like I received the traditional study/research grant...which means 9 months or more in Italy! Whoohoo!

11 minutes ago, wildchartermage said:

From the email, it looks like I received the traditional study/research grant...which means 9 months or more in Italy! Whoohoo!

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Hi all I have been lurking on this page for a while. lol. I am currently a semi-finalist ETA for Malaysia and I am anxiously awaiting my fate. This is my second time applying to the program and my second time being a semi-finalist. Hopefully this time around I get chosen. Best of luck to everyone. :wub:

P.S. I filled out the spreadsheet in January. :D:D

Bulgaria just found out.  I was selected.  I thought I was going to be so excited but I almost feel numb...in shock.  I had been making plans for not getting it and I was excited about those and now this makes it very confusing and I feel torn.

6 minutes ago, Mechka said:

Bulgaria just found out.  I was selected.  I thought I was going to be so excited but I almost feel numb...in shock.  I had been making plans for not getting it and I was excited about those and now this makes it very confusing and I feel torn.

Congratulations! That's so exciting! Research or ETA?

1 minute ago, dbstr said:

Congratulations! That's so exciting! Research or ETA?

ETA. I studied there in college and really loved the country, but I have so many questions now about why I really want to return and if it is the best next step for me.