Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

4 minutes ago, nehagreddy said:

Any Fulbright in India applicants getting exhausted from waiting and waiting :'((

Absolutely! They seem to alternate late March, early April. I like to believe that there is heated debate over the merits of my proposal. lol

7 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

The waiting is beginning to wear on me. I just got a job working for the USDA in Hawaii and I have to let them know within a few weeks, so I am hoping we all find out ASAP.

Anyone else in a similar position with a job offer or grad school?

Your job sounds like a fantastic opportunity!! Now that you have gotten the job, are you committed to taking the Fulbright if you are a finalist?

I have accepted a grad school offer, but I will defer if I get the Fulbright - even though there is a chance that I could lose my funding package for my program.  At the moment it also looks like my internship might have the potential to turn into permanent work.  So, like you, I am itching to hear back!

I know it could be any day now, but at this point I am betting that I will find out in the middle of April like I did last year.  

40 minutes ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Your job sounds like a fantastic opportunity!! Now that you have gotten the job, are you committed to taking the Fulbright if you are a finalist?

I have accepted a grad school offer, but I will defer if I get the Fulbright - even though there is a chance that I could lose my funding package for my program.  At the moment it also looks like my internship might have the potential to turn into permanent work.  So, like you, I am itching to hear back!

I know it could be any day now, but at this point I am betting that I will find out in the middle of April like I did last year.  

If I get the Fulbright I would definitely take it. Seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would love to carry out my research project.

Where did you apply for the Fulbright? My country (Kosovo) usually sends notifications mid April as well so I know how you feel

Guys I was hoping to get some advice. I recently found out I was awarded a Princeton in Africa fellowship, and I need to either accept or decline by tomorrow afternoon, which is very soon and is stressing me out. I am a semifinalist for Fulbright Research in India, and really have no idea anymore when the decision will be released. For others who have applied/been awarded fellowships, are you just accepting what you receive first, then doing the slightly-unprofessional thing and backing out if you get Fulbright/another top choice? I know that it's not as big of a deal with job offers, but with fellowships I'm guessing it could look a lot worse to do that.

5 hours ago, clueless801 said:

Just got the incredibly sad email that all programs to Bangladesh are being suspended for the 2016-2017 year due to credible security threats. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it because I know this is for the best interest of citizens (especially given recent events) but I was looking really forward being able to go. Right now, I'm still on my study abroad in Spain without any plan of action for when I get back in a few weeks. Any of you have advice?

Hey, just went to check my school email after seeing your post. Must admit that I am disappointed that things have unfolded this way but ultimately, it's for the best. *hug* I think it's safe to say that I can empathize deeply. At least we're both based in NYC and there are plenty of opportunities available to us. This will just have to further fuel the job-hunting process. Hope all is well with you! Feel free to message.

56 minutes ago, nehagreddy said:

Guys I was hoping to get some advice. I recently found out I was awarded a Princeton in Africa fellowship, and I need to either accept or decline by tomorrow afternoon, which is very soon and is stressing me out. I am a semifinalist for Fulbright Research in India, and really have no idea anymore when the decision will be released. For others who have applied/been awarded fellowships, are you just accepting what you receive first, then doing the slightly-unprofessional thing and backing out if you get Fulbright/another top choice? I know that it's not as big of a deal with job offers, but with fellowships I'm guessing it could look a lot worse to do that.

Have you contacted the Princeton program and explained your situation to them? They may give you more time to decide, or perhaps give other advice. I was nominated for another full year fellowship before I heard from Fulbright, and when I contacted that office, they said I could accept for the moment, but let me know if I heard from Fulbright by a certain date, I could pull out and they could nominated someone else in my place. If I pulled out after that date, they would be too late to nominate a replacement. In my case, I was able to do the former. I would hope that your program also has a wait list of sorts, so perhaps letting them know that you may pull out, they can still keep that waiting list in check. I would accept though at the end of the day; you never know what may happen for Fulbright! 

14 hours ago, Swingin_Sween said:

If I get the Fulbright I would definitely take it. Seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would love to carry out my research project.

Where did you apply for the Fulbright? My country (Kosovo) usually sends notifications mid April as well so I know how you feel

I applied for research in Moldova, so we are in the same boat with waiting.  I had my hopes up that I would be notified early since there were so many early notifications, but I think I need to lower my expectations to save my sanity.  Easier said than done though! 

18 hours ago, kyjin said:

Have you contacted the Princeton program and explained your situation to them? They may give you more time to decide, or perhaps give other advice. I was nominated for another full year fellowship before I heard from Fulbright, and when I contacted that office, they said I could accept for the moment, but let me know if I heard from Fulbright by a certain date, I could pull out and they could nominated someone else in my place. If I pulled out after that date, they would be too late to nominate a replacement. In my case, I was able to do the former. I would hope that your program also has a wait list of sorts, so perhaps letting them know that you may pull out, they can still keep that waiting list in check. I would accept though at the end of the day; you never know what may happen for Fulbright! 

Ah thanks so much for your response! So I tried that and unfortunately it didn't work-- they want me to make a final decision by today either way and basically withdraw all other opportunities. Really tough place to be in :(

14 minutes ago, nehagreddy said:

Ah thanks so much for your response! So I tried that and unfortunately it didn't work-- they want me to make a final decision by today either way and basically withdraw all other opportunities. Really tough place to be in :(

Darn :( Maybe make one last-ditch email to the coordinator for India and see if they can give you any info? Looks like India ETAs came out today, so maybe they have the info and are going to release today? Honestly I'd probably accept the Princeton fellowship and do the unprofessional pull out thing if you do end up with the Fulbright... Were you planning on applying to other Princeton programs in the future, or was this just a one-time backup? 

It's not unprofessional to decline the Fulbright if you do end up getting it to take the Princeton offer.  People decline for all sorts of reasons.  You get to know (and put on your CV) if you get it, and you make some alternate's day fantastic.  Fulbright expects some people to decline or withdraw; that's why they designate alternates.

Unrelated but related. The US just pulled all families of US diplomats and military personnel out of Turkey. Do we know of any impact that it might have on any Fulbrighters going there? Not to cause panic, but curious. 

3 hours ago, kyjin said:

Darn :( Maybe make one last-ditch email to the coordinator for India and see if they can give you any info? Looks like India ETAs came out today, so maybe they have the info and are going to release today? Honestly I'd probably accept the Princeton fellowship and do the unprofessional pull out thing if you do end up with the Fulbright... Were you planning on applying to other Princeton programs in the future, or was this just a one-time backup? 

I agree with this. Accept the Princeton Fellowship and back out if you need. Fulbright is never a sure bet for anyone and I would hate to see you reject the Princeton offer and get denied from Fulbright. Good luck with the decision and be proud you got accepted to Princeton in Africa. I've been looking into Princeton in Asia and it seems incredible

Just found out I got the Fulbright to India Research Grant!! Still processing and honestly probably will be for some time, but so so happy & relieved :) For those of you who also applied to a CLEA, did you find out if you were awarded that in the same email? I see no mention of it in mine.

ETA to Germany!!!! Another word of encouragement to anyone who didn't get what they were hoping for this year - I also didn't get an ETA the first time I applied (to South Africa). The in-between time has been an invaluable season of learning more about myself and what I want out of life. Nothing wrong with applying a second time! 

1 hour ago, nehagreddy said:

Just found out I got the Fulbright to India Research Grant!! Still processing and honestly probably will be for some time, but so so happy & relieved :) 

Glad it worked out! :D

2 hours ago, nehagreddy said:

Just found out I got the Fulbright to India Research Grant!! Still processing and honestly probably will be for some time, but so so happy & relieved :) For those of you who also applied to a CLEA, did you find out if you were awarded that in the same email? I see no mention of it in mine.

Another finalist for the Research in India program! I'm still processing everything as well, and I really wasn't expecting to hear back until next week so this is a nice surprise :) I also applied for the CLEA but I didn't see anything about that in my email. Maybe they'll send more info about that later?

Edited by sooner_linguist

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I just found out I've been selected for a U.S. Student Fulbright Study/Research Grant to Panama and am ecstatic about this opportunity! I have a quick question I hope you all can help me with. 

I am currently planning on switching universities after earning my masters to begin my PhD work and am wondering if/how tuition is covered while on the Fulbright grant. Does Fulbright cover tuition at one's home university while abroad or should I consider deferring my offer to the new university until after I am back from Panama, if possible? 

Thanks and congratulations to all the other awardees! Good luck to everyone and keep applying, it pays to try!

14 hours ago, nehagreddy said:

12 hours ago, sooner_linguist said:

Another finalist for the Research in India program! I'm still processing everything as well, and I really wasn't expecting to hear back until next week so this is a nice surprise :) I also applied for the CLEA but I didn't see anything about that in my email. Maybe they'll send more info about that later?

Research finalist to India here, as well! Congrats all! I didn't see anything in my email regarding the CLEA, so I guess we'll see. Has a Facebook group been set up for India finalists? I'd love to connect and hear about everyone's research!